BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Question Pass Airbag Sensor weight threshold

Anyone know the weight threshold(lbs) of our occupant detection plates for activating/deactivating our passenger airbags?

I've had intermittent issue with my passenger airbag deactivating with my 120lb wife properly seated. My service center has tossed around numbers from 40 to 80 to 120, and one rep was obviously confused about the logic of the indicator light. They've given me so many different values at this point, I beginning to think they have no idea. I have an open case with BMW NA, waiting for available rep.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Yours sounds defective. My laptop bag will set it off.

In a thread similar to yours that makes me laugh to this day, the original poster said that the sensors were crap because they never detected his girlfriend when she's in the passenger seat. Since most of us complain about that sensor being oversensitive such that it detects smaller things, one guy said "My sensor goes off when I have a six pack in the seat. Maybe you should have your girlfriend hold some beer!"

amy!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
pit1
Captain
Rep

thanks Amy, I def remember that thread also. my sensor WILL detect objects as light as a laptop bag. The issue is regarding the threshold when the system ACTIVATES the airbag. The system will sense lighter passengers, deactivate the airbag, and alert for seatbelt. There's then a higher threshold for detecting an "adult" and activating the airbag. Currently, the system intermittenly deactivates the airbag when my wife is seated. (i.e. the light is illuminated) as if a child is present. I'm looking for that high-end threshold, how heavy much a person be for the airbag to be ACTIVE?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
Yours sounds defective. My laptop bag will set it off.

In a thread similar to yours that makes me laugh to this day, the original poster said that the sensors were crap because they never detected his girlfriend when she's in the passenger seat. Since most of us complain about that sensor being oversensitive such that it detects smaller things, one guy said "My sensor goes off when I have a six pack in the seat. Maybe you should have your girlfriend hold some beer!"

amy!

12 pack of Red Stripe sets mine off every time. I hate it. You can't put Red Stripe in the trunk...it's just not moral.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
The issue is regarding the threshold when the system ACTIVATES the airbag. The system will sense lighter passengers, deactivate the airbag, and alert for seatbelt. There's then a higher threshold for detecting an "adult" and activating the airbag.
Got it. I misunderstood. I forgot they trigger differently. Good luck with getting an answer.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
thanks Amy, I def remember that thread also. my sensor WILL detect objects as light as a laptop bag. The issue is regarding the threshold when the system ACTIVATES the airbag. The system will sense lighter passengers, deactivate the airbag, and alert for seatbelt. There's then a higher threshold for detecting an "adult" and activating the airbag. Currently, the system intermittenly deactivates the airbag when my wife is seated. (i.e. the light is illuminated) as if a child is present. I'm looking for that high-end threshold, how heavy much a person be for the airbag to be ACTIVE?

It would seem to me that a 120lb woman should be well over the threashold for the airbag to be active. Sounds like the sensor isn't working like it's supposed to.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Most mfg's have them set at around 7-80...so the 80 pound number may be the correct one quoted to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
pit1
Captain
Rep

I agree, 80 is more reasonable threshold for "adult." 120lbs is an unreasonable number, that's 25th %ile of US female population. I'll post an update once I get it resolved..

...as a side note, BMW NA has been a pleasure to work with, my case rep, Aaron, calls to check in even when he has no new information. He's working with my service center to get this resolved to my satisfaction. Don't hesitate to relay disputes to BMW NA, I do so as peacefully as I can as to avoid unnecessarily tarnishing my dealer's reputation, sometimes service centers just need additional resources, and sign-off, to solve complex problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Put everything in the trunk... laptops, wives, whatever. No more airbag light.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
CrazyIvan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I can set it off with just a laptop but it has to lean against the back. If you lay it flat on the cushion everything is fine. But unless you absolutely have to keep everything in the trunk (I mean laptop, not the wife )
Appreciate 0