BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-31-2018, 09:12 PM   #10473
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I've always been a fan of BRG = British Racing Green!! (hex #004225.

I'm sure you can get it or something similar if you want. No need to go buying something that's Uber rare.
They have a broad selection on this site:
https://www.metrorestyling.com/Green...s-s/354463.htm

Personally I like this KPMF K75460 Gloss Green Black Iridescent
https://www.metrorestyling.com/KPMF-...p-p/k75460.htm
Damn, that's a lot of green! lol
      01-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #10474
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
I found a new color vinyl that I want really bad over Signal Green. Only catch is that it's a very exclusive limited edition color from a German company. Their site says only 50 rolls will be sold in Europe entirely. I'm trying to find out now how much and if it's even possible for me to get it in the states. It comes with a serialized trophy lol
How about posting a pic of the color. Even if you can't get it, would like to see anyway.
Working on finding out the cost to it. Could be pretty ridiculous lol I love that there's a serialized trophy with it though
I've always been a fan of BRG = British Racing Green!! (hex #004225.

I'm sure you can get it or something similar if you want. No need to go buying something that's Uber rare.
They have a broad selection on this site:
https://www.metrorestyling.com/Green...s-s/354463.htm

Personally I like this KPMF K75460 Gloss Green Black Iridescent
https://www.metrorestyling.com/KPMF-...p-p/k75460.htm
Yeah, there's a lot out there. I'm actually a Metro dealer haha Avery Gloss Dark Green comes somewhat close to that Malachite Green but a bit brighter. I ordered a couple samples of stuff just to have. Shame there's no current BRG vinyl out. There were a couple but have since been discontinued. My issue with a color like that green/black is that it ends up looking too black and only shows the other color under exact lighting. This was my problem when I started wrapping my 1er in Gloss Wicked. It just looked like a black car unless it was indoors under LED lighting
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #10475
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Quick canyon run, barely made it to the top before the sun was completely gone lol
Glad you decided to keep her!

PS - nice pics. Beautiful SoCal sunny winter day.
I'm happy I decided to keep her too lol. She definitely gets me angry, but I always get reminded why I bought her in the first place.

It's funny because after owning this 135i, I seriously don't think I could EVER justify buying a new generation performance car for over $60k+

This thing has just been such a blast for a fraction of the cost. Sure when things break, we don't have a choice to foot the bill, but at this point, I don't mind. Also, it kinda sucks because as much as like the new M2 and the F80's I don't think I can justify buying one of those since the 1 has such a similar motor and better driving feel. Down the line, I may add an E92 M3 to the garage or maybe a Cayman, but I don't think I'll be getting a newer M model ever.
LOL.

My 1er was basically 60k, so there goes that argument. Ha ha...
Being the only owner is pretty sweet though!

I'm the 2nd owner (3rd if you count Carmax as the middleman lol). Got it at 49k miles, about to cross 83k soon. Been exactly 3 years and countless replaced parts later lol
And picking up the car on Euro Delivery is the trip of a lifetime.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43818.50
      01-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #10476
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

Quote:
That is something I would love to do with my father sometime soon! Did you drive around Europe by yourself or was the ED done with a group of other people taking ED?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #10477
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Tested sunroof delete for leaks. It leaked.

Pulled it out, went crazy with RTV, managed to almost put a screw through my roof (now there's a dent that'll be impossible to repair), and now I wait until this RTV cures to test it.

36.4 pounds. Not worth it to me, yet...
      01-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #10478
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

This pattern works out to 128 bolts.
I should have a quote on 5.16" x 1.25" bolts (500), nyloc nuts (500), washers (1,000) this week. Retail I'd ballparked at $140.

I need to add 500 larger (fender) washers to the inside. When tight the washer digs in and wants to pull through.

Tires where free.
Bought 3 wheels for $70. 1 brand new for $110.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #10479
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
Quote:
That is something I would love to do with my father sometime soon! Did you drive around Europe by yourself or was the ED done with a group of other people taking ED?
Was done as our honeymoon. Three weeks driving all over the EU.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
low1352213.00
Esteban43818.50
Matticus913474.50
tock172581.50
      01-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #10480
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

Man that is cool!
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #10481
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

Considering it was almost 70 degrees here in Raleighwood, decided to drop the top and just go for a drive. Sometimes you need to just drive to clear your head. I hope to hell that 2019 is an improvement over '18. My 401k can't take much more of this abuse...
Appreciate 3
low1352213.00
Gangplank1541.50
      01-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #10482
docpanama
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-Sport (E88)

stuff I learned doing these projects (charge pipe, BOV, paint correction)

So, the other day, I said I had the house to myself for a few days and I was gonna do some stuff to the car. Well, it's done and I learned a bunch of things I thought would be helpful for other noobs like me, and I took a bunch of pics.

I'm gonna post them here but please, please, if this isn't the appropriate place, or if y'all think I'm hijacking the thread or it's just nobody cares, please let me know and I'll get rid of the post. I'm new so I don't want to be all "look at me!"

Anyway, here goes:

oil change: no problem. EXCEPT, the drain plug faces the right side of the car and there's not enough clearance so the stream of hot, dirty oil hits the side of the cutout in the belly pan and goes everywhere. I probably did it wrong. Anyhoo, oil changed, filter changed, took 30 mins.

spark plugs: easy peasy, and a good excuse to buy a new torque wrench.

Coils: This turned out to be pretty hard. Bought a set of 6 Bosch coils online, and after changing out plugs and coils the car barely ran. clearly not firing on a couple of cylinders. After half an hour of checking connections and messing around, determined it to be a loose connection on cyl 5 and the new cyl 1 coil was bad. So now I have one old coil and 5 new ones. One of my old coils was an Eldor, and the rest were the original coils from time of manufacture, so I kept the Eldor. Whew.

Burger DCI/ARM charge pipe/TiAL BOV install: YouTube is your friend, until it's not. This turned out great but for a little while there I was lost. As I was removing the old (stock) CP, noticed a giant thing hanging off the side:
Name:  sound2.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  101.7 KB

This thing didn't appear in any videos I saw. I thought I had the wrong ARM CP, was pretty disappointed. Then I started feeling around ,and realized that the giant tumor on the side of the stock CP didn't go anywhere. It just ended. At that point it made no difference what it was, because it went nowhere. Removed stock CP, diverters, hoses, replaced with ARM/TiAL combo. BOV works perfectly.

IMPORTANT LESSONS:
1) 2008 1ers have sound generators.
2) be prepared. I knew from reading the forums that TiAL valves often arrive "stuck" just from sitting on the shelf. sure enough, mine was as well. Opened, finagled, closed, installed, win.
Name:  chargepipe.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  176.4 KB
Name:  e_bay2.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  212.0 KB

MHD Stage 1 tune: No problems. Watched a few videos, bought a battery charger and DCAN cable, did the tune. Chose "linear throttle mapping" as an option out of curiosity. VERY different throttle response now.

Paint Correction: So I knew this was gonna take a while, and it did. Wash, clay, compound, polish, wax... day and a half. I have never really done any serious paint correction before and definitely never used a DA polisher before. Again-- YouTube FTW. I used Meguiar's 105 compound and 205 polish, then a coat of Zymol wax because it's all I had (forgot to obsess over/choose/buy wax). Really want to try ceramic coating next time.

the actual compounding/polishing isn't hard. Lightly mist the surface with alcohol/water mix (I used 4:1 isopropyl and tap water) when buffing off the compound/polish/what have you if there's any residue.

clay before/after:
Name:  clay.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  41.5 KB

I'm surprised at how mild these products are. I used an orange Hex Logic pad and M105 to compound, and even applying a fair amount of pressure I could only remove swirls/light scratches. some things the compound couldn't fix-- deep scratches, obviously, but also:

bird poop damage
Name:  bird.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  40.3 KB

anything into but not through the paint
Name:  smallscr.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  40.5 KB

Eventually I will try wet sanding, but I'm not ready to go that far yet.

here's the final outcome:
Name:  finalpaint2.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  100.4 KB
Name:  finalpaint.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  195.2 KB

Anyway, I learned a ton and wanted to share. If this shouldn't be here, please let me know.

--Matt
"Frannie" 2008 E88 M-sport, 6MT, black sapphire
Appreciate 7
Esteban43818.50
rowsdower640.50
1and11858.00
Fakemike369.50
Matticus913474.50
      01-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #10483
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpanama View Post
So, the other day, I said I had the house to myself for a few days and I was gonna do some stuff to the car. Well, it's done and I learned a bunch of things I thought would be helpful for other noobs like me, and I took a bunch of pics.

I'm gonna post them here but please, please, if this isn't the appropriate place, or if y'all think I'm hijacking the thread or it's just nobody cares, please let me know and I'll get rid of the post. I'm new so I don't want to be all "look at me!"

Anyway, here goes:

oil change: no problem. EXCEPT, the drain plug faces the right side of the car and there's not enough clearance so the stream of hot, dirty oil hits the side of the cutout in the belly pan and goes everywhere. I probably did it wrong. Anyhoo, oil changed, filter changed, took 30 mins.

spark plugs: easy peasy, and a good excuse to buy a new torque wrench.

Coils: This turned out to be pretty hard. Bought a set of 6 Bosch coils online, and after changing out plugs and coils the car barely ran. clearly not firing on a couple of cylinders. After half an hour of checking connections and messing around, determined it to be a loose connection on cyl 5 and the new cyl 1 coil was bad. So now I have one old coil and 5 new ones. One of my old coils was an Eldor, and the rest were the original coils from time of manufacture, so I kept the Eldor. Whew.

Burger DCI/ARM charge pipe/TiAL BOV install: YouTube is your friend, until it's not. This turned out great but for a little while there I was lost. As I was removing the old (stock) CP, noticed a giant thing hanging off the side:

This thing didn't appear in any videos I saw. I thought I had the wrong ARM CP, was pretty disappointed. Then I started feeling around ,and realized that the giant tumor on the side of the stock CP didn't go anywhere. It just ended. At that point it made no difference what it was, because it went nowhere. Removed stock CP, diverters, hoses, replaced with ARM/TiAL combo. BOV works perfectly.

IMPORTANT LESSONS:
1) 2008 1ers have sound generators.
2) be prepared. I knew from reading the forums that TiAL valves often arrive "stuck" just from sitting on the shelf. sure enough, mine was as well. Opened, finagled, closed, installed, win.

MHD Stage 1 tune: No problems. Watched a few videos, bought a battery charger and DCAN cable, did the tune. Chose "linear throttle mapping" as an option out of curiosity. VERY different throttle response now.

Paint Correction: So I knew this was gonna take a while, and it did. Wash, clay, compound, polish, wax... day and a half. I have never really done any serious paint correction before and definitely never used a DA polisher before. Again-- YouTube FTW. I used Meguiar's 105 compound and 205 polish, then a coat of Zymol wax because it's all I had (forgot to obsess over/choose/buy wax). Really want to try ceramic coating next time.

the actual compounding/polishing isn't hard. Lightly mist the surface with alcohol/water mix (I used 4:1 isopropyl and tap water) when buffing off the compound/polish/what have you if there's any residue.

clay before/after:

I'm surprised at how mild these products are. I used an orange Hex Logic pad and M105 to compound, and even applying a fair amount of pressure I could only remove swirls/light scratches. some things the compound couldn't fix-- deep scratches, obviously, but also:

bird poop damage

anything into but not through the paint

Eventually I will try wet sanding, but I'm not ready to go that far yet.

here's the final outcome:

Anyway, I learned a ton and wanted to share. If this shouldn't be here, please let me know.

--Matt
"Frannie" 2008 E88 M-sport, 6MT, black sapphire
Perfect place to make a post like this.

Car looks great, thanks to all your hard work.

Welcome to 1ADDICTS!
      01-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #10484
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Great post docpanama! I am in the middle of paint correction too. Just finished claying, and will just do M205 polish skipping the compound, except for a few spots that need it. I plan to follow up with Klasse AIO and Glaze, then maybe a wax depending on how dead my arms are. Bird poo is brutal on paint. I would be very careful with wetsanding. It is easy to burn through the clear and the paint. I experimented with all this on my old '91 Miata and learned a few hard lessons.

Your paint also likely shows everything, being black. Space Grey is much more forgiving and hides most small scratches. My wife's Mazda 6 is a very deep blue, nearly black, and just got the same treatment of M205 followed by Klasse Glaze sealant, and it looks like a new car again. There are a couple of faint outlines of bird poo spots that just won't come out, but I don't want to risk burning through the clear so I'll live with them. I'll post up some pics once I'm finished with the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #10485
docpanama
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Great post docpanama! I am in the middle of paint correction too. Just finished claying, and will just do M205 polish skipping the compound, except for a few spots that need it. I plan to follow up with Klasse AIO and Glaze, then maybe a wax depending on how dead my arms are. Bird poo is brutal on paint. I would be very careful with wetsanding. It is easy to burn through the clear and the paint. I experimented with all this on my old '91 Miata and learned a few hard lessons.

Your paint also likely shows everything, being black. Space Grey is much more forgiving and hides most small scratches. My wife's Mazda 6 is a very deep blue, nearly black, and just got the same treatment of M205 followed by Klasse Glaze sealant, and it looks like a new car again. There are a couple of faint outlines of bird poo spots that just won't come out, but I don't want to risk burning through the clear so I'll live with them. I'll post up some pics once I'm finished with the 1er.

Yeah, that Zymol won't last long at all. In a month or so I'll probably try the ceramic coat.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #10486
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Man, I tried getting into proper paint care back when I had an E46, but never could get the technique down correctly. I just suck at it apparently. I have a porter cable and countless buffs/polishes/sealants sitting in the garage, with no use lol
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #10487
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I hire a professional detailer to do my car.
Attached Images

01-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #10488
docpanama
United_States
Rep

Can you get PTSD from a .jpg? Because I'm pretty sure I have that now.
Appreciate 7
1and11858.00
Gangplank1541.50
tock172581.50
      01-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #10489
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Time to tag this thread NSFW
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #10490
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
MY EYES!! MY EYES!!!
-damn Esteban, that's just mean...

And a bonus

X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 1
Esteban43818.50
      01-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #10491
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

To make up for that other pic I posted... lol
Attached Images

01-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #10492
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Reminiscent of a certain Aston Martin advert...
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 2
low1352213.00
Esteban43818.50
      01-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #10493
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by docpanama View Post
Can you get PTSD from a .jpg? Because I'm pretty sure I have that now.
I can't unsee that. :-/
      01-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #10494
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Dafuq?
Appreciate 0