BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

There should be more to life than this...

The fact that I wake up at around 6am everyday, go to work, spend 10 hours doing something I do not like, come back, go to the gym sometimes, eat and go to sleep - all to just do this over again and again and again for the rest of my life? I don't see how people can handle this - much less having an actual family and those responsibilities along with it.

A lot of times I really envy those bartenders, waiters, etc. that enjoy their lives and get paid a lot less.
      04-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
You just have to change your mindset. Find the little things that you can enjoy about your life and appreciate that you have the opportunity to experience those. If all you think about all day long is "is there more to this?" you'll never be satisfied with where you're at now. Instead, if you embrace the possibility that perhaps this IS all there is to life, then you can enjoy the scenary a lot more along the way. Then things might start looking up from there.
      04-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
i don't have an answer to your problem just wanted to tell you i feel exactly the same way. that's why i miss college so much and would love to go back to academia to do research or maybe even teach. it would take away that every day's repetition and routine.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
BitStream
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i felt exactly the same way about 2 years after graduation.

i fixed it by started my own business. there is nothing like working for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu
...spend 10 hours doing something I do not like...
That sounds like your problem there. If you find a job you like/love you can look forward to going to work each day. It makes a huge difference.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey, slubu - once you become partner it's all downhill from there...you'll be playing golf all day, like what all executives and top bosses do for a living!
      04-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

Quote:
The fact that I wake up at around 6am everyday, go to work, spend 10 hours doing something I do not like, come back, go to the gym sometimes, eat and go to sleep - all to just do this over again and again and again for the rest of my life? I don't see how people can handle this - much less having an actual family and those responsibilities along with it.

A lot of times I really envy those bartenders, waiters, etc. that enjoy their lives and get paid a lot less.
know how you feel...I get up at 5:30am every morning, go to work for 8 hours, come home or go to class (Mon - Wed), come home, eat, watch 1 hr of TV, and go to sleep. Even my E90 is bored to death...lately it just sits at home on the weekends.

I just wish I had more time to do extracurriculars..and some of my friends/peers do the same exact thing and are married and even have kids and still do all of the things I do..I have no idea how they stay so motivated..I barely have time for myself and friends, let alone marriage, kids, etc.! You are not alone, trust me...

Last edited by BMW786; 04-11-2006 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitStream
i felt exactly the same way about 2 years after graduation.

i fixed it by started my own business. there is nothing like working for yourself.
That is the ultimate plan. It is very hard to stay motivated where your paycheck contains no reflection on how hard/good you work.
      04-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Hey slubu, welcome to the club. This has been the story of my life since I graduated from college. Not only am I underpaid and underappreciated, I haven't got a life ouside of work and still don't have a girlfriend.

I'm paying for my E90 all by myself without any help from the parental units and I only have it a year and I already have it more than half paid off. But I still live at home, and that's really depressing. Mind you, I'm lucky enough to be able to save for a downpayment on a house while I'm paying off my car, but everything still seems kind of meaningless. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like this, but that doesn't mean we're any closer to any kind of solution.

I guess what's even more depressing is there are only old middle-age divorcees at the gym, no one my age (22) that's single and looking

I could find skanks at the bar, but that's not what I'm looking far. And since the closest college is more than 20 miles away, any decent girl that would still be single doesn't live anywhere near here.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Hey, sharp - how bout online dating? I watched "Must Love Dogs" a while ago with my g/f and it sounds fun to go through that, meaning new people and stuff.
      04-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #11
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Go on match.com with doctor Phil!
      04-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #12
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Match.com, yahoo! personals, even e-harmony.com--I tried them all, and they aren't all they're cracked up to be...especially eharmony, the biggest rip-off of all

I guess the problem is I'm not looking for a girlfriend just to say I've got a girlfriend. The real problem is I just want to meet new people, but there aren't any to meet. It's hard to believe because greater hazleton's got a population of about 50-60,000 people in a 10 mile radius.

Squawks, you're familiar with my situation. I've got sort of an obligation of a 24/7 "on-call" availability with my job. So I can't very well venture out very far from work. It's not that I'm pissed off about that. I'm not blaming work because I knew all about this going in to it. What I didn't count on, though, is all my friends taking off after college to find better jobs, because in truth, this area is mostly minimum wage factory-type jobs.

I've had girlfriends before in high school and I know they aren't the solution if you feel meaningless, but I think a girl could make me feel a little better...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I guess working for a mortuary service doesn't help with the ladies either.
      04-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
rag21
lets drink
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i

holy depression batman!!

damn you guys have shitty lives...

well, better you than me
      04-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well again, think about this, what if there's nothing more to life then what you see. What if there's no afterlife? What if once you die, you just expire, like an unplugged computer system. What if THIS is all you get? Then wouldn't you think instead of just sitting there pining about what else you could have, you would want to cherish what you DO have already? I'm not saying you shouldn't strive to enrich your life, but you definitely shouldn't be depressed. You have a pretty well paying job (assumption based on you owning a BMW), not suffering from any crippling illness, and perhaps have some friends and family to spend time with. Enjoy these!

It's cliche, but you really do have to think the glass as half full. If your mindset is that the glass is half full, then you can work to get it filled up fully. But if your thinking is that the glass is half-empty, then you'll be preoccupied with worrying about the missing half of the glass.
      04-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #16
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Match.com, yahoo! personals, even e-harmony.com--I tried them all, and they aren't all they're cracked up to be...especially eharmony, the biggest rip-off of all

I guess the problem is I'm not looking for a girlfriend just to say I've got a girlfriend. The real problem is I just want to meet new people, but there aren't any to meet. It's hard to believe because greater hazleton's got a population of about 50-60,000 people in a 10 mile radius.

Squawks, you're familiar with my situation. I've got sort of an obligation of a 24/7 "on-call" availability with my job. So I can't very well venture out very far from work. It's not that I'm pissed off about that. I'm not blaming work because I knew all about this going in to it. What I didn't count on, though, is all my friends taking off after college to find better jobs, because in truth, this area is mostly minimum wage factory-type jobs.

I've had girlfriends before in high school and I know they aren't the solution if you feel meaningless, but I think a girl could make me feel a little better...
The previous two girls i've played "bonesmuggler" with have been from the internets, if that helps you any.
      04-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #17
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Man, tzf - getting a little deep there! Amen, brotha!
      04-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #18
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The previous two girls i've played "bonesmuggler" with have been from the internets, if that helps you any.
What's this game, bonesmuggler?
      04-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #19
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
What's this game, bonesmuggler?
It is a euphamism for having sex, as in they smuggle my bone into themselves. Crude I know, but quite funny (at least to me).
      04-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #20
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

You guys must have things your interested in. I'm sure there's a BMWCCA near by that you could be involved with for example. Sure work takes up a lot of the day but you must have some free time. I snow ski for one, and go up to the slopes with some friends at least every other weekend during the winter. To be extremely blunt, If you're not having fun you're not trying hard enough.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #21
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Hahahah, damn, I had a feeling you were implying that but now I am doomed as a dumbass after asking that question.
      04-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #22
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Emo.

I didn't know that bartenders and servers enjoyed their lives?
Appreciate 0