BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Tinting may not be a good idea for the 'vert!

Sure, tinted windows makes huge sense for the Coupe. But there are many times in the 'vert when the weather conditions are nice enough to have the top down, but it's still better to have the side windows rolled up.

That's when the tinted windows look kind of strange, rolled up with the top down. The tinted side windows look out of place, and the car looses it's bright, open, airy look and feel.
      06-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

Ah crap. I just got it done today (free from dealer). I never thought of that.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
Ah crap. I just got it done today (free from dealer). I never thought of that.
Interesting... But no problem at all... it was free, so if you don't like it, you can easily have it removed. But if you do like it... that's cool... let us know.
      06-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
MadisonOne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Personally, the only time I can think of putting the windows up when the top is down is when it starts to rain and you're on the highway and it starts to rain. Putting the windows up then keeps the water from flying into the car when the wipers are going.

Other than that, driving with top down and windows up looks terrible, tint or no tint. It's like driving in an aquarium, IMHO.
      06-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep

Got a little reassurance from the wife that it won't be too bad since it's Jet Black... but we'll see when it cures.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Texas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & E88

Garage List
I would agree if I lived in the vert friendly & perfect weather state of California, but with 10 days of 100+ temperatures in Austin already this year tint is a necessity. The "heat reflective" leather really works too.

I still have the top down even in the brutal heat! Perforated and air conditioned seats like some Lexus models would be awesome.
      06-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
Sure, tinted windows makes huge sense for the Coupe. But there are many times in the 'vert when the weather conditions are nice enough to have the top down, but it's still better to have the side windows rolled up.

That's when the tinted windows look kind of strange, rolled up with the top down. The tinted side windows look out of place, and the car looses it's bright, open, airy look and feel.
Totally agree with you Tagman on this.
Every BMW I have purchased in the past I have had the dealer tint the windows.

With the vert my thoughts were the samr as yours and have left it tintless.
The standard glass has a slight tint..that will do..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
I would agree if I lived in the vert friendly & perfect weather state of California, but with 10 days of 100+ temperatures in Austin already this year tint is a necessity. The "heat reflective" leather really works too.

I still have the top down even in the brutal heat! Perforated and air conditioned seats like some Lexus models would be awesome.
Texas, you've got one of my favorite 'verts out there, and I can understand the necessity for anything that helps to cool off those cars during Texas summers. It makes sense to me.

I guess I draw from experience with my other convertibles. There simply are those times of year, or certain driving conditions, when it's good to put the top down, but not so good to also have the windows down. Sometimes rolling those windows up makes a HUGE improvement in comfort.

That's all I'm saying... and when they are up on those occassions, I was considering how they would look if they were tinted.
      06-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
Texas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
Texas, you've got one of my favorite 'verts out there, and I can understand the necessity for anything that helps to cool off those cars during Texas summers. It makes sense to me.

I guess I draw from experience with my other convertibles. There simply are those times of year, or certain driving conditions, when it's good to put the top down, but not so good to also have the windows down. Sometimes rolling those windows up makes a HUGE improvement in comfort.

That's all I'm saying... and when they are up on those occassions, I was considering how they would look if they were tinted.
I hear ya! I wish I didn't need the tint.

How much longer until you get your vert?

I flew into San Diego a few weeks ago and stayed at La Costa. The weather really made me miss my convertible. Beautiful place!
      06-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #10
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

That's why I went with 35% Ceramic on all 4 windows. Awesome heat reflection with the Ceramic over standard tint, without having to go black out.

As with Tex, I live in Texas. Houston...which I have discovered is pretty much the hottest F'ing place on the face of the earth next to the interior of a Volcano. Tint for us is not something that looks cool...it is a necessity.

Again, it is the reason why I went 35%. Not dark at all, but very reflective of heat.

-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #11
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Damn, that's a nice pic, Katera! Your OCD is helping to keep that black car spotless!!... LOL. The windows certainly look pretty good with that 35% ceramic.

Texas... my 'vert could be ready for me in as soon as only 2 more weeks! I'll be in Hawaii for one week starting tomorrow evening, so that ought to ease the pain! LOL. But, I can't go anywhere without my mobile any more, so I'll be checking in on this website quite often!!... except when surfing, of course... although I'm getting to the point where I have more fun just watching my kids ride 'em while I relax ... and drink a couple of cold "beverages".
      06-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep

Same... 35% all around. Looks good.

Thanks Charlie for helping shove those yellow fogs in :thumbup:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post

agreed, the Lexus air conditioned seats are insanely comfortable, I pray for the day BMW follows suit and adds an air conditioned/heated steering wheel -- in the 1.

Appreciate 0