BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Are tender/helper springs required if the springs unseat at full droop?

Hi,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my suspension. I have Moton Clubsports with swift springs that were purchased through HPA however I have to run tender springs with them to stop the springs from unperching and shifting at full suspension droop. The issue this causes is that the spring perch has to be lowered to the point where it is adjacent to the tyre and I'm running into clearance issues.

I have an 8.5x18 ET48 front wheel which I have to run 12mm spacers with and only 225 wide tyres to clear the front spring perch by approximately 5mm.

I would like to be able to run 235 or even 245 fronts however the only way I can do that is if I do away with the tender spring and use only the spring which will allow the spring perch to be raised above the level of the tyre.

Unfortunately my shocks do not allow shock body adjustment for height so the only way I can adjust the height of my shocks is to raise or lower the spring perch. I would prefer to maintain my current height (which is dropped mildly to moderately over stock).

Am I overly worried about the springs being loose at full droop is is this definitely a concern since I do a lot of track days?

Does anyone have any suggestions to rectify this issue using my current shocks? I.e. change of springs etc.

FYI I am currently using 6" swift springs with tender springs at a 560lb spring rate. When I had 7" swift springs without tender springs I only had to run a 5mm spacer to get enough clearance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alex