BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #23
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Thank you! That make a lot of sense to me.

Currently I am at 68k miles and just replaced the OHFG. But if the valve cover starts leaking, I will replace the gasket. If the leaks occurs again after 30k miles I will replace the valve cover and the valve cover gasket.

It does make sense to replace valve cover and the gasket at the same time, to me, financially speaking, I will hold off since I would be doing the work myself anyways.
Cool - yea the VC is not cheap unfortunately and if you're comfortable doing the work/spending the time (it's a pain in the ass job apparently) then sure you can try just VCG. I suppose when you have everything apart you can check the condition of the VC and see if there is any warping and "play" without it being tightened down and make a call at that time. My VC didn't start leaking till about 175K kms (110K) so you may have some time yet...
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #24
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:

Currently I am at 68k miles and just replaced the OHFG. But if the valve cover starts leaking, I will replace the gasket. If the leaks occurs again after 30k miles I will replace the valve cover and the valve cover gasket.

It does make sense to replace valve cover and the gasket at the same time, to me, financially speaking, I will hold off since I would be doing the work myself anyways.
Cool - yea the VC is not cheap unfortunately and if you're comfortable doing the work/spending the time (it's a pain in the ass job apparently) then sure you can try just VCG. I suppose when you have everything apart you can check the condition of the VC and see if there is any warping and "play" without it being tightened down and make a call at that time. My VC didn't start leaking till about 175K kms (110K) so you may have some time yet...
Good advice! Man, I am sure glad this topic was brought up!
      06-24-2021, 11:30 PM   #25
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:
OP, out of curiosity, why replace the valve cover?

I thought this would be a part you never needed replacing. What are some mileage ranges that these fail/crack/get damaged at?
I'm not OP but...conventional thinking (not just on forums I mean)...calls for replacement.

As they are made from plastic, they warp due to heat cycling with age, and don't seal properly even with a new gasket! So common practice is to do the VCG and the VC at the same time. What mileage is your car? I would guess at anywhere from 100K+ miles is when they start to go....

There's a seller on eBay that sells some no name brand vc that's about usd 80 or 100. They have fairly good reviews so it might be worth looking into. Personally I would give it a look before I spent 400$ on an OE VC, but after doing the vcg I also hope I never have to do it again, so it might not be worth the gamble.

FWIW if I had to do it again, I would get a dremel and cut some of the metal / plastic below the windshield frame, as I read someone else had done. Nothing significant but there's literally no room to work behind the engine and it's insanely frustrating to get the vc on just to find out the gasket isn't seated properly in the back and you can't fit your hand back there to adjust it.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #26
mad_hatter
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i, MK7 GTI

One thing to add about the VC, is that BMW in their wisdom epoxied the PCV/CCV valve itself to the valve cover - so it's not a serviceable item. When you go to change to the 3IM I'd bet that you'll find some oil in the IM... I did.

There's an option for an aftermarket PCV but it requires essentially chipping the old one out and hoping you don't crack the valve cover.

VC replacement is on my list to do too
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #27
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
OP, out of curiosity, why replace the valve cover?

I thought this would be a part you never needed replacing. What are some mileage ranges that these fail/crack/get damaged at?
Since your PCV system is built into the VC and as someone has mentioned, not serviceable, that alone is reason to change the VC and gasket together. Warpage due to heat is the other reason. Aftermarket has it's place but not here.
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50
      07-27-2021, 09:36 PM   #28
bender128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Coupe

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Having have been a BMW mechanic for a few years, I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 cracked valve covers vs replacing valve cover gasket almost every week. I would not say it's prone to crack.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:46 AM   #29
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I got my VCG replaced at a dealer under the N51 warranty at around 90k miles, a few thousand later and the VC cracked so I had to get the VC and VCG replaced again. Whether it cracked due to faulty work done during VCG replacement or not I'll never know but that's my story.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:40 PM   #30
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

Well folks, all maitenance and mods done and car is running perfectly.

Gotta say, going from stock to MILVs, 3SI, catless headers and StageFP tune is awesome. It's a really nice difference. My mechanic who owns a M4 GTS and a M2 was blown away how well the car responded afterwards.

Still have to put the 3.73 diff in as well.
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50
      08-18-2021, 11:35 PM   #31
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_stew View Post
Well folks, all maitenance and mods done and car is running perfectly.

Gotta say, going from stock to MILVs, 3SI, catless headers and StageFP tune is awesome. It's a really nice difference. My mechanic who owns a M4 GTS and a M2 was blown away how well the car responded afterwards.

Still have to put the 3.73 diff in as well.
Your mechanic owns an m4 and m2?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 03:32 AM   #32
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Also owns a m3 with a supercharged s65. He's a big track guy and to hear him speak so positively of my car was surprising.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 01:36 AM   #33
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_stew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Also owns a m3 with a supercharged s65. He's a big track guy and to hear him speak so positively of my car was surprising.
He must be making a killing off oil changes for soccer moms in their cpo / leased x5s🤣.

That's awesome though, but out of curiosity why did he super charge instead of turbo the s65?
Appreciate 0