BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #1
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Water wetter

1. Does it work?

2. Do you need to flush the bmw coolant out or can you just add it?

3. Any testimonials?

Thx!

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
StevieJ2
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Can say with 100% certainty that it works amazingly with motorcycles... It works best with water only and no coolant. I've been running this on my track bikes for over a decade because most of the tracks on a motorcycle day do not allow riders to use coolant - it's either straight water, or water+water wetter.

***if you run no coolant, remember to add it when winter comes around, otherwise you're going to be rebuilding the car when spring comes.
Appreciate 2
AndyW667.50
Dieselboy445.50
      07-06-2021, 06:30 AM   #3
SKI-R
Working towards usefulness
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i, Tundra, B8S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieJ2 View Post
Can say with 100% certainty that it works amazingly with motorcycles... It works best with water only and no coolant. I've been running this on my track bikes for over a decade because most of the tracks on a motorcycle day do not allow riders to use coolant - it's either straight water, or water+water wetter.

***if you run no coolant, remember to add it when winter comes around, otherwise you're going to be rebuilding the car when spring comes.
Identical experience in my motorcycle racing days.
      07-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
1. Does it work?

2. Do you need to flush the bmw coolant out or can you just add it?

3. Any testimonials?

Thx!
1. Yes it has a purpose in the right application.

2. YES FLUSH. Water has better heat transfer properties than glycol. Water cools better than "coolant!" Why do we use coolant in a street vehicle? Because it provides lubrication, surficants, a higher boiling point, and a lower freezing temp.

Water Wetter is basically a shot of additives. Since all modern off-the-shelf coolants already have robust surficants and scale reducers there is pretty much 0 benefit to adding water wetter to coolant. Water wetter is best used for adding lubricants, scale reducer, and surficants to water. Now you have the benefits of the increased heat transfer of water while also still lubricating your cooling components and eliminating scale. Our cooling systems are pressurized and the car will go into limp mode before water would boil at 15psi+. So, boil point is not a concern. However, freezing is still a concern and you need to switch back to coolant for winter.

Pretty much all race cars use water and some kind of additive on the track. It is easier to clean up.

3. Yes, I have used it for years and definitely saw a decrease in coolant temps when I made the switch.
Appreciate 1
AndyW667.50