BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

2011 BMW 135i stalled...

I was driving downtown on Saturday, bumper to bumper traffic and the outside temperatures hovering around the 100F mark.

My wife's 135i has less than 10K miles and has the DCT transmission. I've noticed that at time the RPMs will drop and then pop right back up again. Absolutely no issues when driving normally, but in stop and go traffic it almost feels like it's going to stall and then does not.

On Saturday, it did stall. RPMs dropped to a point where the engine switched off. I stopped, put the car in P and started the engine again. She was perfectly fine after that and no longer showed signed off dropping RPMs.

Any clues here?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I had this same issue a couple weeks ago, was planning a trip to BMW to figure it out. But if someone on here has some answers, that would be awesome. Mines the manual 6 spd though.
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
I was in a 2011 335i yesterday and it stalled at a light. I found this, but not certain if it applies to your vehicle:

BMW has issued a technical service bulletin for the stop / start (MSA system) issues previously reported by several Bimmerfest Members. The problem is only related to F30 335i 3 series powered by the N55 inline six cylinder engine. The problem is that the engine will be stopped and started correctly by the stop/start MSA system, however, after the restart the engine will again shut off unexpectedly. The system will display a message to the driver that the stop/start feature has been disabled and the transmission (automatic) is put into neutral automatically.

The engine can be started manually by the driver after this has happened using the start button. This happens intermittent making this very frustrating to drivers and hard for technicians to diagnose. Furthermore the is no relevant errors logged into the ECU fault system.

BMW cites an 'unfavorable DME software application' as the source of the issue for cars produced between 11/2/2011 and 2/29/2012. To the automotive enthusiasts that loosely translates to "we screw up". BMW is owning up to the issue by issuing service bulletin 10 12 00 09 00. Everyone with a 2012 F30 3 series is of course covered under the warranty so besides the hassle of getting your 3 series recoded at the dealership it is an easy fix.

How many people have been having this issue with their F30 stop/start?

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
amstellt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
2004 X3 3.0  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
Re: Stalling 135i

My wife experienced same issue on 2011 135i DCT. Bought the car used with 26K miles this past Jan. In June, needed to turn on AC and lo and behold...fluctuating RPM during idle only and occassionally stall. Took car into dealer. They said no codes were showing up and could not replicate. They did replace my radio (LCD display was pixelating after parking in 85+ F temperatures for a while, upon restart). The next day, it stalled twice and I took it into the same dealer. On the customer service survey from the first visit - I bitched and moaned saying the car was unsafe and almost being rear ended on several occasions. They reflashed software and attempted 2 additional software versions to no avail. This attempt took 1 week. Finally, dealer called and said BMW NA is currently working on a new software that should be released in mid-July. Long story short, I got the car back July 25th (5 weeks total) and the issue seems to have been resolved. The car now steadily idles at ~800 rpm (as opposed to 300 - 1400 rpm range). I'd take the car in ASAP and demand the new software revision. Hope this information helps you and other 135i owners.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Excellent information, thanks everyone. Sounds like it's all in the software. We bought this 135i DCT back in October of 2011 and it has not been in to the dealership once since then as it doesn't get driven much.

Amstellt: we had the same issue with the radio once where the pixels would not light up at all. All lights turned off, then back on again and it has not done it since. Living in Texas, the temperatures inside a vehicle can become scorching hot after sitting in the sun all day.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_1_Guy View Post
I had this same issue a couple weeks ago, was planning a trip to BMW to figure it out. But if someone on here has some answers, that would be awesome. Mines the manual 6 spd though.
Mine has stalled 4-5 times recently. I live in Cleveland, OH and it has been hot, but I can't isolate any exact conditions other than it stalls as I am pulling into a parking space or similar action, low RPMs and pushing in the clutch to coast into the spot.

Hasn't happened in a week or so. I was going to keep an eye on it.

A little back story. A few months ago I took it in for service and they updated the DME. (Yes...I've lost power and it's a different feel.) I took it back after a reduced power light came back on and they had to reinstall the software b/c it didn't load correctly.

Not sure if they are related.

Glad to hear I am not alone with this anomaly.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Idle issues can sometimes be related to the fuel system. I would first start with the software, but if the idle stumbling continues I would look into the fuel system. If the injectors aren't spraying properly at idle you may notice the RPMs stumble and then the ECU will sense the car going to stall and will raise the idle to prevent the car from stalling out.

Cars with large injectors tend to idle funny because they can't spray a fine enough mist at low RPM allowing the car to idle smoothly. The trade off being that they can flow a lot of fuel when it's needed at high RPM. The tips of the injectors are perforated with the varying size and number of perforated holes effecting the density of the fuel exiting the tip of the injector. A small injector with many tiny holes will flow less fuel mass, but will burn more evenly and thus idle better. Our cars obviously don't have modified injectors, but maybe it's due to them needing to be cleaned out so they can flow properly or the injector is damaged? Wouldn't be surprised with how fickle our fuel systems are.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

BIG NEWS

I took my car in Monday for the umpteenth time complaining about the DCT lag and occasional stall. My car was updated with the latest software but when I picked up my car it was still having the issue, so I took a shop foreman for a ride to show him the problem. He noticed but told me they couldn't do anything else since my car was updated w/ new software.

So a few hours later I get a call from my service advisor saying the foreman did some research and discovered that an update will be coming out in two weeks specifically targeting DCT cars that will supposedly alleviate the throttle lag and hopefully the occasional stall. I'm not just blowing smoke here. I've been frustrated with my car for a year trying to get it fixed and every time come away with the same issue. It seemed too good to be true when I got that call. I have an apointment scheduled already and will report back with my results.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Awesome thank you for the update. I am due for service in a month and have had a hiccup as well and a few close calls. It is unsafe. I was turning right at a light while traffic was moving in the direction I was merging into. The car stalled with me blocking the lane. Lucky for me the guy in oncoming traffic was paying attention and got himself stoped just it time. I then unclenched my cheaks started the car and drove off feeling lucky and like an idiot.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
SinCalgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT M-Sport

I had these issues myself since getting the recall software update last year. AC on gave me idle surge when coming to a stop and the occasional stall as well. Throttle lag at a slow roll was downright dangerous. I took my car in three times in three weeks for it and on the final time they had the part in to replace my gearshift(Wasn't returning to neutral position when car was shut off/put in park)

In doing this the work order states "Removed Centre Console and replaced GWS, programmed and encoded whole vehicle and marked GWS as replaced control module."

This completely solved any issues I was having(though it made my iPod/AUX input not work). I now drive with AC on at all times with no idle/stall issues and have not had any throttle lag at a slow roll. The car sounds different with a bit quieter exhaust on cold start(even with golf tee) and I can hear the turbo spool up much louder now. Even better the old power is back if not even more and DSC is less intrusive, a 1-2 shift WOT will squawk tires and not chop the throttle unless you really push it. I am back to loving my car again!

A return visit to get my iPod working went fine and the car is still working well with no issues. I asked them for a software version and was told "ISTA/P V 2.46.6" Hope that helps some of you out, not sure if it is a Canadian only software version as I passed it on to ParkNuts and it doesn't sound like he got anywhere with it immediately anyway but hopefully the version in two weeks solves your problems as well as it solved mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
BMWbab1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have a DCT and would from my experiences with this happening it has happened when I was coasting along at about 5mph and then slightly press the gas pedal. In my case I am almost 100% sure that my issue is due to the engine rpm not being high enough when the system engages the clutch as the stall is just like stalling a manual transmission vehicle. As many of you know the DCT feels about as close to a manual transmission when starting to accelerate from a stop as it gets. I have been told this "manual feeling" is just part of having an automatic that shifts faster than you can blink.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

I want a dct so bad but

Shits scary
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #13
bnace10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i DCT Lemans Blue

Bringing this thread way back from the dead. I just purchased an 11 135i and I have all the issues gone over above.

Idle surge when AC is on, super bad throttle lag, clutch getting confused in stop and go traffic and stalling.

Did anybody have that software update referenced above done, and did it fix it?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Yes, I had the SIB software update done on my car. No it did not fix it. Neither did an install of the PPK software or the Dinan S2 tune. What ultimately fixed it was having the dealer reset all the adaptations. I think the dealer tech did both the DME and the DCT control module.

The fix lasted for about 3 years and I recently had to get it done again.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #15
bnace10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Yes, I had the SIB software update done on my car. No it did not fix it. Neither did an install of the PPK software or the Dinan S2 tune. What ultimately fixed it was having the dealer reset all the adaptations. I think the dealer tech did both the DME and the DCT control module.

The fix lasted for about 3 years and I recently had to get it done again.
After the DME and DCT reset, did the issues return gradually, or was it all of a sudden acting up again after 3 years?

Do you think an Indy shop could do this, or is it something a dealer has to do?

And has anybody had any luck with XHP DCT tunes fixing this?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 09:37 PM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnace10 View Post
After the DME and DCT reset, did the issues return gradually, or was it all of a sudden acting up again after 3 years?

Do you think an Indy shop could do this, or is it something a dealer has to do?

And has anybody had any luck with XHP DCT tunes fixing this?
I don't recall. But don't recall it being gradual when the drivability went to $hit.

I'm not sure. I would ask around. I had a friend who is a trained BMW tech attempt to reset the adaptations and it didn't really work. I couldn't complain as he did it for me for free. I decided to just go back to my dealer that fixed it the first time and they were able to get it fixed. I figure if there were problems with the reset, I would at least be able to take it back and complain for them to keep working on it until it was fixed.

I heard some people saying the XHP tune resolved their problem. Then again, I've heard some people say doing an MHD tune also solved their problem. And then others say the PPK or the SIB flash update fixed their problem. Whether any of this is true, I don't know. I do know I did the PPK, SIB, and Dinan S2 tune with none of them actually fixing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #17
bnace10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I don't recall. But don't recall it being gradual when the drivability went to $hit.

I'm not sure. I would ask around. I had a friend who is a trained BMW tech attempt to reset the adaptations and it didn't really work. I couldn't complain as he did it for me for free. I decided to just go back to my dealer that fixed it the first time and they were able to get it fixed. I figure if there were problems with the reset, I would at least be able to take it back and complain for them to keep working on it until it was fixed.

I heard some people saying the XHP tune resolved their problem. Then again, I've heard some people say doing an MHD tune also solved their problem. And then others say the PPK or the SIB flash update fixed their problem. Whether any of this is true, I don't know. I do know I did the PPK, SIB, and Dinan S2 tune with none of them actually fixing the problem.

Thank you, I appreciate all the knowledge
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #18
texag11
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

My 2011 135i 6MT is also having similar issues…Shop said it was a MAF due to a P0113 code. Replaced it and it ran smoother for a day. Cold starts are still rough for about 5 seconds then smooth out. A/C on drops the RPM like the guys above, and now the CEL is back with P10F1 and P105D. Any of you guys showing similar codes? Currently have the Dinan S2 tune and that’s it
Appreciate 0