BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-05-2024, 04:17 PM   #1
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
BMW 135is CONVERTIBLE Suspension Refresh Upgrade

I saw this thread https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1567496 and this thread https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1203243 and this thread https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1147857

but I noticed all these threads are for the coupe. I'd think the only real difference is shock and springs. Now, my real struggle is when going out and sourcing parts... trying to find the parts for the convertible is hard. Bilstein, Ohlins, Koni, Eibach, etc. all really don't list accurate descriptions for parts out there. There's *no way* the shocks for a 128i and a 135i should be the same on a convertible and yet some manufacturers suggest the same shocks. You look at coupe shocks and they break it down by 128 and 135. They do this for springs too - which to me screams it even more insane.

Originally, I had this idea of redoing my whole suspension setup, getting some kinda wacky square setup, and yadda yadda... but I've given up on that. I just need something that is slightly better than OEM and I'm gonna replace some inserts and whatnot. (rear subframe, transmission, whatever else is recommended)

Any suggestions? It would be nice if there was someone with a 135i convertible that could chime in with what they did and if it works great. I'm looking for stock ride height and all that because I need as much suspension travel as I can get with the roads in the bay.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 04:28 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

It might be obvious, but differences are usually due to weight of the car at either corner, and whatever ride characteristics they wanted baked in. It's almost certain parts will physically swap but there's a chance ride height might be a little higher or lower (or stiffer or softer) than whatever was the intended application. Not too surprised the shocks are the same if the spring rates were actually similar.

Not the answer tot he question but maybe something to think about if you are considering parts from another application.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 02:37 PM   #3
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

ST Suspensions lists different part numbers for the coupe and convertible coilovers. I'd assume it's because the rear parts are different. You can reach out to them to see what the differences are.
Appreciate 0