BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

HPFP on its way out. warranty?

Hey guys, I tried to start my car this morning and it took a few cranks to get started. It kept starting and idling like it was firing on one cylinder, then dying after a couple seconds. I finally got it to stay running with a little throttle input, but im thinking it might be my hpfp.

Im gonna hook a motis up to it tomorrow to pull the code that popped, but if it is the hpfp. how much is it going to cost me? Does the hpfp warranty apply over here too? what about my mods?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
Hey guys, I tried to start my car this morning and it took a few cranks to get started. It kept starting and idling like it was firing on one cylinder, then dying after a couple seconds. I finally got it to stay running with a little throttle input, but im thinking it might be my hpfp.

Im gonna hook a motis up to it tomorrow to pull the code that popped, but if it is the hpfp. how much is it going to cost me? Does the hpfp warranty apply over here too? what about my mods?
Take your car to a German BMW dealer(once you remove your tune). Your car is still covered by the US recall and extended warranty on the HPFP. Only 2008's and 2009's have the extension(at least for now). Your German dealer will do all the paperwork thru BMW AG.

IF you had to pay out of pocket... I think a HPFP runs about 400 euros parts and labor.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Take your car to a German BMW dealer(once you remove your tune). Your car is still covered by the US recall and extended warranty on the HPFP. Only 2008's and 2009's have the extension(at least for now). Your German dealer will do all the paperwork thru BMW AG.

IF you had to pay out of pocket... I think a HPFP runs about 400 euros parts and labor.
Thanks dack, youre my hero.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

My warranty is almost up(too) at the end of this month (we only get 24 month warranty in Germany for our US spec cars) and the reason I know this is bc I asked my SA just last week about this. For 2010 and up models... it would still (probably) be covered... its just that the dealer would need to contact BMW AG for approval first. But for a earlier car, that has the BMW NA extension... I think its easier for the German dealer to just go ahead and fix the car. I'm sure your not the first American over here to have this problem. Your Zentrum should take car of you.

Btw... I'm thinking of joining ADAC (the German automobile club) soon, just incase this happens while I am far from home over here. IF you join ADAC and get the "Plus" membership... they will tow/ship your car back to your haus in Germany. But only IF you have the PLUS program, not the basic coverage. I think its worth the 79 euros per year. They don't call these ADAC guys yellow angels for nothing!

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/ta...iedschaft.aspx

Btw-II... IF your car needs to be towed you might call your BMW Zentrum or the BMW Pannenhilfe hotline. BMW should tow the car for free since it is covered failure(IF it is the HPFP). Any BMW that is under two years of age can use this free service. I think also out of warranty, but there would be a charge, then. BMW breakdown hotline... +49 89 14 379 479

http://www.bmw.de/de/de/owners/bmw_s...leservice.html
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Btw... I'm thinking of joining ADAC (the German automobile club) soon, just incase this happens while I am far from home over here. IF you join ADAC and get the "Plus" membership... they will tow/ship your car back to your haus in Germany. But only IF you have the PLUS program, not the basic coverage. I think its worth the 79 euros per year. They don't call these ADAC guys yellow angels for nothing!

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/ta...iedschaft.aspx
DUDE!!!!!! You don't have ADAC YET!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Since Feb 05 we have ADAC. Best service to have after a "Happy" ending at a thai massage parlor. You cannot beat it whatsoever. In fact,........

back in 2007, I was in Wurzburg with my old E30 for a meeting with my previous unit leadership. It was a german holiday. On the way back I chose to go on A3 headed back to Heidelberg when the back end got sligtly loose. At the same time my oil light came on so I pulled over. That was when I came to notice that my right rear was flat. I called them and within the hour a guy in a flatbed came to get me and took me to his shop. By my contract (ADAC Plus) they were required to provide me at NO COST a replacement tire so I could be on my way. My luck...he had all sizes except mine. So option 2 was for them to get the long distance towing (ADAC also) to take me directly home. Longest ride home specially when you see everyone else zooming by.

2 weeks after that, I got a letter from ADAC thanking me for trusting in their service and being a loyal member with a separate short paragraph saying afterwards "If you would have not had ADAC, this service would have cost you over 384 euros "

When we do the Stelvio trip I will be doing a special coverage for that area with them.

Get ADAC.......It's well worth it and also covers you even if you are not driving your car.
      01-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
DUDE!!!!!! You don't have ADAC YET!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks Nick! Yes, I will sign up for ADAC.

How did you sign up for your plan? Internet?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

I have adac for one of my cars (well, hopefully it wont be mine in a week or so) but nothing for my 135i. I probably should, especially since i dont have runflats.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I have adac for one of my cars (well, hopefully it wont be mine in a week or so) but nothing for my 135i. I probably should, especially since i dont have runflats.

I believe ADAC membership coverage follows the driver, not by the car. So you should be covered.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I believe ADAC membership coverage follows the driver, not by the car. So you should be covered.
really? i got it as a package deal with my insurance (local insurance, i bought the other car as a beater until my clutch got here). maybe its not the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

back on topic for a minute. should i worry about my catless dp's when i take it in? does anyone have a dealer they recommend? I dont mind driving, within an hour or two from k-town would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks Nick! Yes, I will sign up for ADAC.

How did you sign up for your plan? Internet?
I signed up while I was in Heidelberg at their main office between PHV and Patton Bks.

EZ, it covers you mainly and whatever vehicle you may be driving.

Quote:
back on topic for a minute. should i worry about my catless dp's when i take it in? does anyone have a dealer they recommend? I dont mind driving, within an hour or two from k-town would be nice.
Yes, you need to not so much as worry but be concerned. My advice, swap back the stock DP's unless you know someone well over at Euler. I have never trusted them (Euler K-town). I preferred going to the one in Landshtul which is a bit more user friendly.
      01-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you need to not so much as worry but be concerned. My advice, swap back the stock DP's unless you know someone well over at Euler. I have never trusted them (Euler K-town). I preferred going to the one in Landshtul which is a bit more user friendly.
Is euler the one in k-town on the main road, off the opel circle? By that priority turn? I hate that dealership, every time i go in for parts, the dude gives me a huge attitude, and once, i asked if they accepted vat forms, he told me "we will take it, i guess you cant afford the parts for your car" or something to that effect. I told him I wasn't a fan of his country, and didnt want any of my money to go to their government.

really though, to cop an attitude over a simple question like that? I think he was mad that i didnt have my VIN # handy, even though i went in there with an OEM part number.

There is one in landstuhl, down the road from the kino? Ive only been there once, and they didnt have the part i needed, but they were friendly enough.

I am NOT looking forward to swapping the stock dp's back on. that job just plain sucks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Is euler the one in k-town on the main road, off the opel circle? By that priority turn? I hate that dealership, every time i go in for parts, the dude gives me a huge attitude, and once, i asked if they accepted vat forms, he told me "we will take it, i guess you cant afford the parts for your car" or something to that effect. I told him I wasn't a fan of his country, and didnt want any of my money to go to their government.

really though, to cop an attitude over a simple question like that? I think he was mad that i didnt have my VIN # handy, even though i went in there with an OEM part number.

There is one in landstuhl, down the road from the kino? Ive only been there once, and they didnt have the part i needed, but they were friendly enough.

I am NOT looking forward to swapping the stock dp's back on. that job just plain sucks!
Yup, the one off the OPEL circle after you pass t he left to go to Klaus Peter's shop. That has to be the idiot with the big nose and glasses that does parts. I embarrased him in front of his boss a couple of years ago when I went looking for parts for my old E30. I went with the part number and he got stupid with me so I went got my VIN and then ridiculed him when I showed him that the part #'s matched the american and european models. Then I said in a louder voice "surprised that a parts guy that's been working for years does not know his job well". I would look for the owner and tell him what shitty parts customer service he has. Make sure that you point him out in front of everyone.

The one in Landshtul (close to the kino) is pretty good and ALOT more user friendly. If they don't have the part they can order it no problem.

If I was down there i'd give you a hand with teh DP's.
      01-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

Quote:
If I was down there i'd give you a hand with teh DP's.
hmm... ill pay for gas
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

I would not pull off your downpipes. I would find another (good) dealer. Or hell... just pay for the HPFP, COD out of pocket. Those downpipes are a PITA to do.

What about that BMW dealer in Sinsheim: BMW Krauth. They have FIVE other dealerships in the Heidelberg area!

http://ah-krauth.bmw.de/de/ah_krauth...roduction.html

I would go ask there. Or just call them up. Over the phone they won't know who you are and you could ask them point blank about your HPFP and the longer warranty by BMW NA and your downpipes. Guys this is why it pays to make some friends at your local dealer... bc you never know when you will need their help!

Btw... I'm curious Ezeede... Do you buy your gas on base or at Esso. The stuff sold on base is crap! Higher ethanol %'s. I only use SuperPlus from Esso. I never buy my gas on base.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I would not pull off your downpipes. I would find another (good) dealer. Or hell... just pay for the HPFP, COD out of pocket. Those downpipes are a PITA to do.

What about that BMW dealer in Sinsheim: BMW Krauth. They have FIVE other dealerships in the Heidelberg area!

http://ah-krauth.bmw.de/de/ah_krauth...roduction.html

I would go ask there. Or just call them up. Over the phone they won't know who you are and you could ask them point blank about your HPFP and the longer warranty by BMW NA and your downpipes. Guys this is why it pays to make some friends at your local dealer... bc you never know when you will need their help!
i really dont want to pay for the pump out of pocket, thats 400 euro i could spend on mods. saving 400 euro would make pulling the dp's worth it. thats a hefty chunk of change.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
hmm... ill pay for gas
I still have 16 more days before I get my license back
      01-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

I just remembered my clutch and flywheel. there is no way thats getting removed for the service, and its very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I would look for the owner and tell him what shitty parts customer service he has.

That would be superficial. Germans by and large are NOT superficial. Only AMERICANS are superficial. Why would I ever greet anyone with a smile & a hello?

If your looking for a warm friendly smile....I would move to Italy.
end anti DE rant..now back on topic.

I signed up for ADAC plus at a local outlet store with a vat form without grief.

Good luck with the HPFP maybe it was some moisture in the line?

(secretly relieved I have the N52)

Last edited by smellthebeans; 01-18-2012 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 04:05 AM   #20
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Y'all have me thinking that I should have ADAC too. My car insurance has basic roadside assistance but I doubt it's anything like what ADAC provides.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 04:22 AM   #21
135i OREO
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I have ADAC and I have used it 3 times now (on my beaters).

1st. Gas line busted in the engine bay and I couldnt move the car, called them, they were here in 45 minutes. Replaced the line (it was just a rubber hose) and I wasnt charged anything.

2nd. My wifes car died at home while I was at work. Called ADAC, they went to the house, jumped the car ran a few tests, diagnosed the problem, once again, not charged.

3rd. My car wouldnt start in a shopping center at night, called them, they showed up, he started troubleshooting. Starter was bad, helped me push start it. Not charged anything.

Having ADAC gives you a peice of mind. You never know what you are going to run into. Its always nice to have a backup and ADAC covers whatever car you are in so even if you are riding with a friend and their car craps out, you can still use ADAC. Well worth the money IMHO.
      01-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
Y'all have me thinking that I should have ADAC too. My car insurance has basic roadside assistance but I doubt it's anything like what ADAC provides.

It's well worth the money. And I would say to always opt for the PLUS ADAC plan. That way if you break down in some other counrty... ADAC will flat bed your car home(to DE) or give you a free rental car, pay for hotels, ect. They really ARE the Yellow Angels! (bc the men dress in yellow and their service cars are yellow).

IF you have a new BMW that is under two years old... there is a special roadside assistance number you can call. BMW will tow your car for free(my understanding) or try to fix it on the side of the road(the same way ADAC would). I can find the 00-800 number if anyone needs it.

Dackel
Appreciate 0