BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

10 Things I HATE about my 135i!

Hey guys, I wanted to share my latest video on my youtube channel about the 10 things I hate about my N54 powered 135i. I figured it would be interesting content for all you fellow 1Addicts.

so what you guys hate about your cars?? what else is there about the 135i that gets you guys annoyed? It would be interesting to know. Drop a response below!

Link to my video:
      03-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
jkoral
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Regarding the green tint on your windshield, OEM replacements appear to be all green, but OE glass is still grey. See http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...50&postcount=2 for additional details.

Regarding your passenger door window not always going up. Do you have the problem while driving, or only when stopped? I am unable to get my driver's side window to go up without reversing when the car is stopped (whether running/idle or engine off, no difference) around 75% of the time. When driving, it always goes up. I've gotten into the habit of raising my windows when cruising at parking lot speed before pulling into a parking space. I saw it in a thread here years ago and it works 100% of the time for me.

No help with keeping a black car looking good. I guess it depends where you live, but tree pollen season is a relatively short period of time in the spring here in the Northeast. Seems to last less than a month where parking outside will coat your car with yellow dust (also known as gold dust by the car wash industry).
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

For people browsing on mobile, video summary is:

1. Warm up oil time
2. Direct injection sound at idle
3. Brake Dust
4. Black cars are impossible to keep clean
5. Reliability
6. BMW specialty tools suck
7. It makes strange noises
8. The windows have a mind of their own
9. Drivers side door rattles
10. Green tint on the windshield

OP. I'm with you on points 3 & 4. Get a pile of 100% cotton cloths, a couple of microfibre cloths and bucket and a chamois. Keep the car in a garage and spend 10 minutes every couple of days giving the car a once-over and you'll be right. The 1er is a small car.

I would say points 2,5,7,8,9 & 10 are probably specific to your car. Are you sure all N54's sound like that? I don't know if it's just your video camera, but that engine seems to rattle & tick a whole lot more than mine does.

I came to a E88 135i from a 4.8is - I had gripes, now they're all fixed, or all almost fixed:

1. Turbo Lag
Fixed by DP, Intercooler, Chargepipe, DCI & JB4.

2. Had to hold the open/close roof button to operate the roof. (not just single push)
Fixed by installation of SmarTop control unit.

3. Exhaust note
Fixed by DP & MHD exhaust burble.

4. Overprotective traction control
Fixed by JB4 auto DCT mode.

5. Inability to put the power down due to wheelspin.
Turns out the tires I'm running have a massive performance difference when warm compared with when cold. Fixed by user education. (looking forward to getting some MPSS tires soon)

6. AT Manual mode automatic downshift behavior.
I seem to have a knack of telling the car to downshift just a the same RPM that it's automatically downshifting, leaving me in 1st gear when I want 2nd. Hoping this will be fixed in 3 days by xHPFlashtool.

7. Ugly yellow angle eyes
Installed LED angel eyes & haven't looked back.
Appreciate 1
acoustix271.00
      03-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Regarding the green tint on your windshield, OEM replacements appear to be all green, but OE glass is still grey. See http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...50&postcount=2 for additional details.

Regarding your passenger door window not always going up. Do you have the problem while driving, or only when stopped? I am unable to get my driver's side window to go up without reversing when the car is stopped (whether running/idle or engine off, no difference) around 75% of the time. When driving, it always goes up. I've gotten into the habit of raising my windows when cruising at parking lot speed before pulling into a parking space. I saw it in a thread here years ago and it works 100% of the time for me.

No help with keeping a black car looking good. I guess it depends where you live, but tree pollen season is a relatively short period of time in the spring here in the Northeast. Seems to last less than a month where parking outside will coat your car with yellow dust (also known as gold dust by the car wash industry).

hey man thanks for the input. The window thing is only when my car is stopped, while i'm moving it rolls up no problem. I haven't put the two and two together until just now. and thanks about the green glass too!
      03-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

I would say points 2,5,7,8,9 & 10 are probably specific to your car. Are you sure all N54's sound like that? I don't know if it's just your video camera, but that engine seems to rattle & tick a whole lot more than mine does.
Im pretty sure that's normal for N54 engines. My GoPro camera defiantely pronounces it a lot more, in person its not as pronounced but definitely ticks and rattles when its cold. It gets a lot quieter when the engine warms up. Anyone else care to chime in if their N54 makes similar sounds and if its normal or not?
      03-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Have you considered a Camry? I think that would resolve most of your issues.
Appreciate 4
swagon13754.00
Dthltm77.00
PA135i969.50
      03-27-2017, 10:29 PM   #7
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I think you and some people might be taking this out on context. just to clarify these aren't "issues" I absolutely love my car. I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon and there isn't even a single car on the market that excites me at any price range. (other than a c7 z06 but im 20 so thats unrealistic lol)

I just made this video because as car guys we all have our gripes. It was just for entertainment and to get a discussion going about what all our gripes are, so comment away. But these aren't issues or problems with my car per se, they are just little things only a fellow 135i could relate to. (except maybe the sound my car has at idle, might be a problem)
      03-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post
I think you and some people might be taking this out on context. just to clarify these aren't "issues" I absolutely love my car. I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon and there isn't even a single car on the market that excites me at any price range. (other than a c7 z06 but im 20 so thats unrealistic lol)

I just made this video because as car guys we all have our gripes. It was just for entertainment and to get a discussion going about what all our gripes are, so comment away. But these aren't issues or problems with my car per se, they are just little things only a fellow 135i could relate to. (except maybe the sound my car has at idle, might be a problem)
I struggle to admit that I own 5 cars at the moment . . . .. not a single one of them pleases me in each and every respect. But I could not compile a list of "10 things I hate about" any of them, no less make a video about that and post it on the internet.

If I felt that way about any of my cars (and I have felt that way about some cars I have owned in the past and gotten rid of) then the car would be history way faster than you could spell Y-o-u-t-u-b-e
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I struggle to admit that I own 5 cars at the moment . . . .. not a single one of them pleases me in each and every respect. But I could not compile a list of "10 things I hate about" any of them, no less make a video about that and post it on the internet.

If I felt that way about any of my cars (and I have felt that way about some cars I have owned in the past and gotten rid of) then the car would be history way faster than you could spell Y-o-u-t-u-b-e
lol its not a serious video. Its for entertainment, and Im just trying to grow my youtube channel. You must not be that into youtube, so its understandable, But its actually a very common video topic, almost all the big names on youtube have a 10 things they hate about their car video. If you don't believe me just search it for yourself.

Oh and another popular youtube video topic is "10 things I LOVE about my car" which is my video for tomorrow. Maybe you will subscribe to my channel and watch it, but basically that's the whole point of these videos to get people to watch it. I'm just trying to grow my youtube channel through common videos a lot of big, successful, youtube automotive related channels do, not trying to sell my car lol
      03-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Regarding the window issue, I have the same issue you and jkoral have and I'm taking it to the dealer this week to get it fixed. Here's the thread on the problem, but in summary, it's probably a bad regulator and possibly coding.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278352

And the most helpful post in that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberino33 View Post
My drivers side window did this approximately 1 month after my car was delivered (European Delivery). It worked fine when the car was moving or if the throttle was open, but if I was in a parking spot, it would come about half way up then drop down again.

I took it to the dealer on my first service interval finally and they said it was a motor issue. The stock motors have a capacitor problem in that at idle, the motor does not get the full 14.4 volts it needs to function properly and thus the software program does not run the window properly. It isn't a problem when the engine and thus the alternator is turning which is why it worked when moving.

Either way, the motor was replaced about 6 weeks ago and now works fine. No other issues with taking the door apart either which I was worried about. I suggest getting the motor replaced as it seems to work not only in my case but in others as well.
      03-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

Yes my n54 gives me anxiety because of all the noises it makes (I've done ALMOST every maintenance piece possible) not really anything left to go wrong. Still sounds like a ticking time bomb.

Warm up time is annoying if I'm just grabbing a quick lunch away from the office.

Brake dust - Yes, probably the most annoying thing about this car for me at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #12
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Heres a couple for me:
1) I hate that the nav doesnt auto-night mode when it gets dark
2) I hate the lack of tuning options for 12+ N55 (jb4 + dct sucks)
3) I hate how buggy comfort access is
4) Brake dust
5) I hate that theres only 1 usable cupholder and it juts into my passenger's knee
      03-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #13
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney135i View Post
Yes my n54 gives me anxiety because of all the noises it makes (I've done ALMOST every maintenance piece possible) not really anything left to go wrong. Still sounds like a ticking time bomb.

Warm up time is annoying if I'm just grabbing a quick lunch away from the office.

Brake dust - Yes, probably the most annoying thing about this car for me at least.
yes! finally somebody agrees with me! lol
      03-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #14
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
How did I leave this out? CA completely sucks. Mine has not been working forever and I don't even want to fix it because it will probably just break again!
      03-29-2017, 05:24 AM   #15
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Oh God, the edgy caps lock youtube cancer is now on 1Addicts. Keep that shit somewhere else.

It's even more laughable considering your choice of the ten worst things you HATE.
      03-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #16
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / Deep Sea Blue on Taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Heres a couple for me:
1) I hate that the nav doesnt auto-night mode when it gets dark
2) I hate the lack of tuning options for 12+ N55 (jb4 + dct sucks)
4) Brake dust
5) I hate that theres only 1 usable cupholder and it juts into my passenger's knee
Get a car without nav and it will fix number 1 and 5!

Joking aside my only complaints are front brake dust and how the radio readout is completely unreadable at most angles when wearing polarized sunglasses.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #18
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Personally...

1. The stupid cupholder up front...I hate them, it's not functional at all. Because they're not functional, I like it a lot too because it discourages me and my passenger(s) from taking drinks into the car.

2. Speaking of the cupholder, the even more stupid arm rest. I really wish BMW just used an E90 style arm rest/storage. I'd even take the E89 Z4 type of armrest.

3. Headlight washers...ruins the look of the front end (lots of people already dislike the 1er front end). If I ever end up replacing the front bumper, I'm deleting these for sure. Even worse, the car gets really dirty when these things turn on.

4. DCT hesitation/lag from stop or almost a stop. It is potentially dangerous and embarrassing.

5. Brake dust...the lovely brake dust. Sucks!

6. The orange amber reflectors up front! If I probably had a VO 1M, I wouldn't mind. The orange is pretty bad on Le Mans Blue. I wish US had euro headlights.

7. My particular car's foot rest. It has an unremoveable stain and is "flaking off" from the flooring.

8. Sunroof...I would love more headroom.

9. The exhaust and the burbles...damn, these things kill my gas mileage because I love 'em so much.

10. I hate BMW's stock pedals. They're cheap, ugly, and slippery. I can't believe that they've been using these type of pedals for I don't know how long (E30s have them)...
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #19
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
Personally...

7. My particular car's foot rest. It has an unremoveable stain and is "flaking off" from the flooring.
Do you look at your feet when you are driving your cars? Have you considered getting help?

Quote:

10. I hate BMW's stock pedals. They're cheap, ugly, and slippery. I can't believe that they've been using these type of pedals for I don't know how long (E30s have them)...
You can buy decent looking Stainless knockoffs on ebay for around $35, last time I checked. 30 minutes and a drill will make them nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #20
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Quote:
Do you look at your feet when you are driving your cars? Have you considered getting help?
It is not necessary to look when I can feel the piece of aluminum push against my foot or when my shoe's sole/pants/things gets snagged on the flaking section of the footrest. No, I don't slide my foot over to the footrest. Yes, I've found thread from jeans and a bunch of stuff building up under and near that area of the footrest.

Not to mention, it is something I notice when cleaning my car.

Quote:
You can buy decent looking Stainless knockoffs on ebay for around $35, last time I checked. 30 minutes and a drill will make them nice.
Yeah, I'm looking into getting new pedals (and footrest).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 11:12 PM   #21
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I'm looking into getting new pedals (and footrest).
It's been a while since I bought a few sets, but they were cheap and nearly identical from a bunch of ebay sellers, usually with "M" plastered all over them. The instructions are in Chinglish and the hadware (screws and bolts) is not the best, so you may need to buy some extra screws and bolts to make it work for you, but I had no trouble installing these sets on 3 different BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #22
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

1 - 4) The stinking run flat tires (which will be replaced)

5 - 8) The crappy stock shock absorbers (which will be replaced)

9 - 10) The lousy front & back rear sub-frame bushings (which will be replaced ; -)
Appreciate 1