BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
Ausmurry
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Mppsk THP

Seeking advice please

Hi all, New 128i owner and first time BMW owner, I actually just sold my loaded 2014 Audi S4 6 speed and am now dailying my 08 128i 6 speed because I like it so much. Anyway..

Car has 113k, it is an n51 engine, overall it runs good but it has some small issues I'd like to address.

Biggest thing is going from a stop the car starts to stall very easily, especially in reverse, I have to really ride the clutch to get it going and the throttle response is sucky. Both DISA valves have been replaced, I've cleaned MAF and spark plugs look good aswell. I'm thinking maybe change the CCV cover thing?

I'm open to suggestions on what to look at. No codes or anything, I also had an issue where I had some ticking from the head at idle, and as soon as I opened the oil fill cap and tightened it back down it stopped. Weird little small issues.

Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
kb2wji
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 convertible 6MT

You aren't alone. The throttle response on my '11 is horrible. I also notice the same thing in reverse - it's especially "laggy" and it feels like you need to give it a little extra throttle to keep it from stalling. I've just gotten used to it though. I've driven other 128's and they are all the same way so I don't think it's "broken" pre se. I was looking into getting one of those gizmo's that sharpens up the throttle response. I'll let you know if I pull the trigger on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Try cleaning the vanos solenoids and screens. It's free and aren't hard to access. Otherwise plugs and coils are next.
Appreciate 1
kb2wji184.50
      08-16-2021, 11:20 PM   #4
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausmurry View Post
Hi all, New 128i owner and first time BMW owner, I actually just sold my loaded 2014 Audi S4 6 speed and am now dailying my 08 128i 6 speed because I like it so much. Anyway..

Car has 113k, it is an n51 engine, overall it runs good but it has some small issues I'd like to address.

Biggest thing is going from a stop the car starts to stall very easily, especially in reverse, I have to really ride the clutch to get it going and the throttle response is sucky. Both DISA valves have been replaced, I've cleaned MAF and spark plugs look good aswell. I'm thinking maybe change the CCV cover thing?

I'm open to suggestions on what to look at. No codes or anything, I also had an issue where I had some ticking from the head at idle, and as soon as I opened the oil fill cap and tightened it back down it stopped. Weird little small issues.

Thanks for any help
I realize it's an old reply. But with the ticking at idle, I've read holding the idle at 2k for a few minutes could fix it albeit temporarily.

Since you have an N51 you could probably take it to the dealer and complain about the noise and they'll replace everything but the hood badge and vanity cover

With regards to the easily stalling, Do you have someone else with a manual 1 to compare it to?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i cabrio

look at this thread.

NJ is a SULEV state

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=27878781
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Stalling a lot on takeoff? Had the same thing when I first got the car. It's the CDV (clutch delay valve). Gives the worst clutch engagement I've experienced in over 40 years of driving manuals. Easily removed. I replaced mine with a unit from Zeckhausen Racing but you can just remove it.
Appreciate 0