BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #23
BoxFlares
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

The directions I used primarily to do this was from a post where someone did the exact opposite. they went from a smokers car to the coin tray. The only differences were the wiring aspects.

Mine didn't have anything in it's harness for this. From other threads I've seen the wiring harness was different for non smokers cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #24
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxFlares View Post
The directions I used primarily to do this was from a post where someone did the exact opposite. they went from a smokers car to the coin tray. The only differences were the wiring aspects.

Mine didn't have anything in it's harness for this. From other threads I've seen the wiring harness was different for non smokers cars.
It is certainly possible. The team leader tech I deal with at my dealer said that when they need to replace a wiring harness for a series of cars that they are all the same, and and they come with every plug for every option. He thinks this is also true of the harnesses that go into the new cars. He could of course be mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #25
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Had the Smoker's Package installed at my Dealer

Just for the purpose of following up, I took the matte black "Smoker's Package" I had ordered from ECS for about $125 to my dealer and had their lead tech install it in my 1M, which originally hailed from Canada. Obviously, this was not going to be cheap

Having taken apart and put back together the console and dash from 2 different Z3 Coupes, I have had enough of that sort of work, unless BMW has improved the way the put these things together, which I was not anxious to find out . . .

As previously stated by the OP, there is NO wiring harness socket for the smoker's package, at least not in 1Ms that lack it as factory equipment. The entire bill ran to about $325 at the dealer for the installation, and took most of the morning of the tech to install. It looks like it was factory installed and works fine.

That resulted in a total cost of about $450 to add this accessory after the fact, probably not a screaming deal, but there you have it.

Name:  Smokers Pkg Closed.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  270.4 KB

Name:  Smokers Pkg Opened.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  361.4 KB
Appreciate 1