BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #23
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Thanks to all who posted on my thread. Good information guys.

So, bottom line sounds like I give it those two minutes until the exhaust valve closes up, and then drive it easy till oil temp hits 180. Sounds like a plan.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #24
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

I usually drive easy until the coolant temp moves before I get on it.
But, if I feel impatient Ill give it healthy throttle (about 60-75%) and shift at ~4500 rpms. This gets the needle moving in about 5-10 minutes and, imo, isn't loading the engine up too badly. If I'm driving at a normal take-it-easy-into-work pace (shifting at less than 2k and keeping the throttle well below 50%, usually capping at 35% or so) it takes at least 15 minutes.

One of the most important things to remember with a turbo car is not only warm up but cool down time. People say that with todays oil cooled dual 360º ball bearing ceramic and beryillium super tight tolerance thrust vectored turbos you dont need turbo timers like back in the day and to a degree they are right. But I always take the extra couple of minutes (at least) to let the engine idle a bit before I shut it down. But when you are talking about a piece of metal inside another piece of metal spinning at hundreds of thousands of rpms suddenly coming to a stop before it has any chance to shrink (which all metal does) you realize that its worth an extra couple of mintues jsut for the hell of it, even if it doesnt really do anything.
Im not saiyng I idle down every time I drive, just when I drive it hard and immediately park. I also always make sure to run a cool down lap, in addition to idling down, if I've been on it hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #25
1bonna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
Wait until your RPMs drop from 1100 before pulling away. During this time the engine will adjust the A/F ratio and get the catalytic converters prepped. It shouldn't take more than 20-30 seconds. BMW does not recommend running the car parked to warm it up; drive the car conservatively, keeping under 4000rpm until the temperature indicator moves off the peg. From there, you're good to go for whatever.

Where is the temperature indicator.....?
      02-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #26
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedballTrix View Post
But, if I feel impatient Ill give it healthy throttle (about 60-75%) and shift at ~4500 rpms. This gets the needle moving in about 5-10 minutes and, imo, isn't loading the engine up too badly. If I'm driving at a normal take-it-easy-into-work pace (shifting at less than 2k and keeping the throttle well below 50%, usually capping at 35% or so) it takes at least 15 minutes.

One of the most important things to remember with a turbo car is not only warm up but cool down time. People say that with todays oil cooled dual 360º ball bearing ceramic and beryillium super tight tolerance thrust vectored turbos you dont need turbo timers like back in the day and to a degree they are right. But I always take the extra couple of minutes (at least) to let the engine idle a bit before I shut it down. But when you are talking about a piece of metal inside another piece of metal spinning at hundreds of thousands of rpms suddenly coming to a stop before it has any chance to shrink (which all metal does) you realize that its worth an extra couple of mintues jsut for the hell of it, even if it doesnt really do anything.
Im not saiyng I idle down every time I drive, just when I drive it hard and immediately park. I also always make sure to run a cool down lap, in addition to idling down, if I've been on it hard.
I do exactly the same techniques you have mentioned!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #27
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedballTrix View Post

I seem to recall something about how the N54 has special "post shut down cooling". a water pump is turned on after the car is shut off, specifically to cool the turbos down. Totally possible I could be wrong. Anyone else hear of this post shut down cooling the engine performs on it's own?
      02-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #28
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
I seem to recall something about how the N54 has special "post shut down cooling". a water pump is turned on after the car is shut off, specifically to cool the turbos down. Totally possible I could be wrong. Anyone else hear of this post shut down cooling the engine performs on it's own?

You're right. The car has an electric water pump, and it runs for a few mintues after it's shut down to cool the turbos.

I personally wouldn't run the car hard and the shut it down right away, but I doubt cooking the oil will be a huge issue for us.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #29
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
I seem to recall something about how the N54 has special "post shut down cooling". a water pump is turned on after the car is shut off, specifically to cool the turbos down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
You're right. The car has an electric water pump, and it runs for a few mintues after it's shut down to cool the turbos.
That's freaking awesome.

W00t for BMW

Ill still do my usual cooldown but that's a really nice piece of reassurance if I get back from break late and have to shut the engine down right away and run back into work =P
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #30
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Since BMW can't leave it at that, they gave us a gadget from it - the climate control system has a button in the center of the knob on the right side (marked REST), and after you shut down the car, if you press the button, the heater will start and you get heat with the car turned off!

I could have used that a couple years ago when I had to pick up my daughter at the coffee house/music club she went to, and I had to wait for her in the parking lot until it shut down for the evening.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana

Last edited by CoolToolGuy; 02-19-2009 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: clarify
Appreciate 0