BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #23
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I think this is due to the High Pressure Fuel Pumps and injection system. I think they are much more susceptible to contamination in the fuel.

R.
      08-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #24
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
Agreed, "damage" is directed toward the dirt and grime that is inevitably sitting at the bottom of your tank. That's what fuel filters are for, if you make a habit of running low, consider replacing the fuel filter more frequently.
You do all realize that fuel is picked up at the bottom of the tank, so if there is something at the bottom of the than it will get sucked up anyway. Cooling and the chance of sucking air are the reasons not to let the tank run too low (depends on the car for the cooling part)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #25
EmeraldRx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Why is it more expensive to get gas? You only pay for what you use? Im I missing something?

1987 Corvette Convertible-29k mi
1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer
2008 Nissan Armada (wifes)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #26
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

all I know is you guys that go down to 30 miles would die in the midwest on some country road when it's -20 degrees and a white out blizzard

maybe growing up in those conditions is what trained me to never go below 1/4 tank
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #27
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCCrutchfield View Post
You do all realize that fuel is picked up at the bottom of the tank, so if there is something at the bottom of the than it will get sucked up anyway.
The idea behind this that I've heard is that the stuff floats in the gas, and so if the gas gets low then the fuel pick-up can suck it up. I'm not saying I believe that, it's just what I've heard.

Granted, this is something I've seen debated a lot. And I can't help but wonder if anyone has actual evidence of a fuel pump burning out from running near empty a lot or from problems caused by contaminants.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #28
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

I think they are trying to prevent damage from running out of fuel and causing damage.

think abou thow lean the motor for would be for a few RPM's if you were WOT, and you ran out of fuel. I mean I woulnt *think* the injectors are going to be 100% then 0% instantly. i would think you'd get and airfuel mix in the fuel lines and you'd run dangeriously lean (especially for you 135 folks).

I'm with a few other posters...fill up at a 1/4 especially if you're traveling places where you know you can't get gas.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #29
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

What happens if you get air in the fuel line? Is that the absolute end of the world?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #30
EmeraldRx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Hasnt anyone ever run out of gas? You put new gas in and the car starts, worse case here is a clogged fuel filter.

1987 Corvette Convertible-29k mi
1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer
2008 Nissan Armada (wifes)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #31
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

worst case is not a clogged 180 $ filter

it's 1 or 2 burnt up fuel pumps, and labor dropping the tank and installing them, I do know a couple audi drivers that did it, burns those pumps up fast

I cant even find a price on the front high pressure fuel pump, I bet it's $$$$$$, the rear in tank fuel pump is 280 $

the fuel is the pump's lubrication internally, and cools the tank pump externally, run low on gas the tank pump gets hot, run out of gas, and it runs without lubrication

it's been this way for many years across all brands
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #32
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

It costs the same to keep a tank full and it does to keep it off empty.

Not sure why it's such an issue just to fill up at a 1/4 tank or so?!

There could also be fuel starvation issues in high-G corners, if the tank is that close to empty, not good.

Imagine needing to get onto an interstate and while coming down the ramp (highish G) you fuel starve and the car dies just as a semi is coming up....

You will be wishing, if you are still alive, that you took a few minutes to fill the tank.

P.S. The economy as a whole is actually not crap. Some sectors, notably real estate/financials(lending) is hurting for sure, I agree with that. Inflation is up a tick but still not terrible, unemployment is still very low, though up from it's lowest point, oil is down from it's high, retail is actually up an OK amount.

Things aren't perfect, but they are a long way from crap, though the Democrat's are surely going to parade the "afflicted" in front of all of us in the next several days.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #33
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Are you guys getting two warnings, I get one at about 50 miles to go, then it will go aways. I think will get another about 30 miles to go and that one stays on.
      08-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #34
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

There's a fuel filter. If there's something on the bottom of the tank that doesn't belong in the engine that's where it should be caught.
      08-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #35
thesmokingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

well... your not really wasting more money by not using the extra miles in your tank, you essentially are working with a 12 gallon tank if your getting 15mpg like i do in the city. if you get better mpg then you could be utilizing 12.5 gallons of your tank. i have heard of this logic before( about not running your tank down all the way). I would be surprised if it really caused any problem that could be traced back to it but its probably better if you don't run it down all the way. also you don't have to wait till the computer tells you to fill up to do so.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #36
thesmokingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

also my company and many of our competitors have recorded record high profits for the last three years in a row so not all of the economy is crap

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #37
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

lol What's up with all of the people talking politics? Is this Politico.com all of the sudden? It was a general point. If you want to make the argument today that things are going well, good for you. Good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #38
Gray135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

If I fill up around 30 miles range, I am often wasting money. Gas prices vary $0.10 to $0.15 per gallon for premium around the area. I try to plan on getting gas in a cheaper area of town as I know I'm getting low. Sometimes this means filling up with a 40-50 mile range, but sometimes it'll get close to 0 range. If I can always fill up for the lowest price available (at a reputable gas station) that saves me money. I've got maybe 7500 miles on the car so far. If you figure 22 mpg average at $0.10 savings per gallon, I've already saved $30-35 since I got the car. This may not seem like much to most people, but it's these basic math skills that save me thousands of dollars each year in my life.

I think the bottom line comes down to using common sense and don't run your car out of gas.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #39
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBLW View Post
lol What's up with all of the people talking politics? Is this Politico.com all of the sudden? It was a general point. If you want to make the argument today that things are going well, good for you. Good luck with that.

I agree, if I wanted to talk about Politics I'd go to...

Bimmerfest. They always seem to talk about politics there. Cars not so much.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #40
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

The danger with this car is starving the engine while under boost and going lean before everything shuts down.

Running a modern car to empty isn't going to burn up the fuel pump (at least not a normal one). This was an issue on early in-tank pumps and everyone now swears by it. They figured that issue out long ago.

I run mine down to the very bottom on nearly every single tank. I stay away from WOT once the warning comes on.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #41
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
I always run it down to 10 miles or so before filling up. I've done it with all my cars in the past too.
Me too. My father does it as well. It was a habit passed down from generation to generation. We all drive from F straight to E. We havent run out of gas yet. :knocks on wood: Drives my mother nuts!
      08-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #42
Andys120
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Winter driving

No one has mentioned that it's a good idea not to let the tank run low in cold weather when condensation is most likely to form in the tank. This condensation could lead to frozen fuel lines, rust in the tank etc. I recommend filling in winter if the level drops below half.

Almost all manufacturers recommend not running the tank low in winter. Adding dry gas will help.

If the cost of keeping gas in it is that much of a problem you are driving the wrong car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #43
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys120 View Post
No one has mentioned that it's a good idea not to let the tank run low in cold weather when condensation is most likely to form in the tank. This condensation could lead to frozen fuel lines, rust in the tank etc. I recommend filling in winter if the level drops below half.

Almost all manufacturers recommend not running the tank low in winter. Adding dry gas will help.

If the cost of keeping gas in it is that much of a problem you are driving the wrong car.

That shouldn't be an issue on modern cars. They don't use an open vent system.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #44
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
the fuel cools the pump, it's suspended with a pickup below it

when the fuel tank is low, the pump is above the fuel and not cooled nearly as good

I try to never go below 100 mile range, that's just over 1/4 tank

That theory applies to just about every car on the road. The in-tank fuel pump can run hot but it will last longer running cool, which requires you have enough gas in the tank so the pump is submerged.

With very low level of gas it can slosh around when you turn and the in-tank pump could suck air intermittently, unless BMW has some sort of baffle around the pickup. It won't ruin the pump right away but it sure isn't good for it over time. What I don't know is what it does to the expensive high pressure fuel pump at the engine.

I agree it's OK to run the tank very low if you're stuck between gas stations.. but don't make it a habit every time.

A few people out there are ignorant enough to believe they're somehow saving money by squeezing every last mile out of every tank of gas. A lady said something like that at a party and I was smart enough to hold my tongue.