BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

SSTT - engine codes/warranty - how do you know?

I'm thinking about getting an SSTT but am not sure if it's safe for the warranty. I know a lot of people have them, has anyone had any warranty issues? How would you know if a code has been thrown?

I've done a bunch of searches and can't seem to find an actual case although there are people that state that it's possible under 'certain conditions'.

must... fight... urge... for... more... speed... ugh.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Mine threw a code, and I was denied a warranty claim because of it. I was running an SSTT with catless downpipes. The problem was unrelated to the aftermarket parts, but they wouldn't even diagnose it.

There's no way to know if you've got a code without having someone plug in one of the more advanced diagnostic tools. The standard code readers from Autozone won't display it as far as I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Do you know if you threw a code becuase of SSTT or the downpips or maybe the combo of both?
      02-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpop View Post
Do you know if you threw a code becuase of SSTT or the downpips or maybe the combo of both?

I'm really not sure. I had the SSTT on for a while, then added the DPs, but I never had the car in for service after using only the SSTT.

I will mention that I was also doing some hard driving in the mountains ( >5k feet ASL), and that may have been a factor as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

What kind of warranty work that they denied?
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
What kind of warranty work that they denied?

Random missfire. At the time I suspected it was the low pressure fuel pump starting to fail, but it only happens on road trips. It had happened a few times while the car was completely stock, but then I didn't see it again, so I put the SSTT on. It took me a while to realize that the only time the problem came up was when I was on a long trip. I pulled the SSTT off, took the car in, and they discovered the tampering code. They refused to diagnose the problem at that point, and I didn't feel like wasting the time to fight them on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

subscribed
      02-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

I posted everything about the issue in another thread, but it got locked. You can read through it if you like. I don't want anyone to think I'm against the SSTT. It's great bang for the buck, and simple to install, but at the same time I feel like there's a lot of misinformation out there, and when you're modding this car you are running a very real risk of loosing warranty coverage.

Link to original thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=warranty+sstt
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Just get the Bav Tech cable and you can check and clear your own hidden codes now.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Just get the Bav Tech cable and you can check and clear your own hidden codes now.

Mike
No kidding! Where the hell was this thing a couple of months ago?! I'd have bought one in a second. (I probably still will if I don't get laid off next month).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Mike
i was thinking about it.. but are there any group buy or free shipping deals going on right now?
      02-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Mike
do you know for a fact if this device can erase the top speed indicator stored in the car? I accidentally found my max speed once..
      02-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Any problem like this related to engine performance, I would use the Bav Tech scan tool to remove all tampered codes first and removed the piggy back before taking in for this kind of warranty work.

Did any one know the tampered codes look like or which ones should I remove?
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Any problem like this related to engine performance, I would use the Bav Tech scan tool to remove all tampered codes first and removed the piggy back before taking in for this kind of warranty work.

Did any one know the tampered codes look like or which ones should I remove?
2D25 Manipulation Prevention, Max Mass Air was what was set in my case.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #15
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Is this the only code or more other codes that we have to worry about? I am seriously thinking about buying this scan tool since I've got a JB3. It is good to know what kind of codes that your BMW threw at you and decide what to do next (like remove the codes and the piggy back).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
kingnonis
**1er Lover**
Rep
Drives: my gf insane

so the bav cable...you just hook it up to your ecu and any laptop or what interface do you use to view and delete the codes? sorry...1st time im hearing of this tool
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

Jeremy,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've looked and couldn't find anyone that confirmed this anywhere (although implied in multiple places!), must have missed your thread along the way. What was the final statement on the warranty? Do they deny everything now, or just a particular set of problems?

Without turning this into a sales thread for the tool to strip the codes, anyone else had any codes thrown (whether they removed them or not)?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_ride View Post
Jeremy,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've looked and couldn't find anyone that confirmed this anywhere (although implied in multiple places!), must have missed your thread along the way. What was the final statement on the warranty? Do they deny everything now, or just a particular set of problems?

I haven't taken the car back for anything else. I'm actually done with this dealership (D Patrik in Evansville) to be honest with you. Warranty denial aside, the service was awful.

I had a list of issues when I took the car in, and basically every one of them was blown off. On top of that the car was supposed to have its first service at the same time. I picked it up and went on a road trip to VA a week or so later, for the holidays. On the way I ran out of washer fluid. After my trip I got in the car and got a low coolant warning. I topped it off and haven't seen it happen again.

Those two things should have been checked during the service, and the fact that I haven't had any issue with them since (in over 5k miles) tells me they weren't. I was so worried about the oil change not having been done I did another one myself just to make sure. The thought of my car going another 15k miles on worn out oil kept me awake at night. On top of that, when I picked the car up it looked like it had been washed with a dirty rag off the floor, and is covered with swirl marks.

The sad part is, the next dealer is too far away for me to use them for regular maintanence, so I'm going to just do them myself and eat the cost.

Sorry about the rant.
Appreciate 0