E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Latest pics of MB's oppisition to the E90 3...

01-01-2006, 02:35 AM   #67
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
As for what car I drive, yeh, it's a Volvo... so what? I dont take this all too seriously. Hence the reason you now see "R.R. Phantom".
I don't have a problem with you being a Volvo driver at all. I just thought you either won lotto, or were having a lend.

The thing I really love about this forum is that it is open to people who love cars, not just owners, and at the end of the day those who take the time to associate with this site over the long haul must be car lovers, and therefore get my utmost

Now answer the question that always needles me, is the "4life" part after the Volvo slogan, or your undying commitment to all things E90
      01-01-2006, 02:45 AM   #68
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

I love the E90. period.

Beyond that I love all things BMW. I did an internship at Designworks U.S.A. I've chased E65 7, E60 M5, and E63 M6 prototypes(if that's even theoretically possible) from behind the wheel of my S60 just because of my undying love for BMW. When I was 12 I turned to the Roundel and commited myself, though I've done my fair share of teetering being "oo'd and ah'd" by cars from other makes, but at the end of the day no other automotive brand offers as great of a compromise between ride & handling like BMW(bar Porsche). I thank you guys for accepting me and treating me like you would anyone else even though I'm not a current owner. It's truly great to come here and share the enthusiasm for such an awesome car! Rock on!...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 02:47 AM   #69
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
I love the E90. period.

Beyond that I love all things BMW. I did an internship at Designworks U.S.A. I've chased E65 7, E60 M5, and E63 M6 prototypes(if that's even theoretically possible) from behind the wheel of my S60 just because of my undying love for BMW. When I was 12 I turned to the Roundel and commited myself, though I've done my fair share of teetering being "oo'd and ah'd" by cars from other makes, but at the end of the day no other automotive brand offers as great of a compromise between rid & handling like BMW(bar Porsche). I thank you guys for accepting me and treating me like you would anyone else even though I'm not a current owner. It's truly great to come here and share the enthusiasm for such an awesome car! Rock on!...
      01-25-2006, 01:15 AM   #70
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Here's another com-gen of the new C-Class taken from Wheels Magazine COTY edition, February 2006 (ignore the date on the page, it is a mis-print, pic is at bottom of the page). Looks consistent with the spy pics, but has a decidedly E90 crease on the flank...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf C-Class Smaller.pdf (297.7 KB, 127 views)
      01-25-2006, 02:10 AM   #71
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

i think they have some fairly nice looking cars, but they're not drivers cars like the bmw's are.

also, hopefully the quality people that were sent over to the US to fix chrysler's quality problems return back to mb, or their quality will continue to suck.
      01-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #72
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

All the more reason to offer a 335/330iturbo.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 11:37 AM   #73
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
the new C in the article seems the same as this one from germancarfans...
Attached Images

BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #74
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntlaw
If I do pass the E90 M3, my next upgrade is CLE63, a 2-door 2007 C-class AMG with the new 6.3 litre NA engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankee
Holy Fuck*ng Shit!!! that thing is hott as hell.......I woulden't mind that.
Very tempting. The issue for AMG, is to first sort our the high-end models. In marketing view point, AMG won't give a new engine to a low-end model which is as powerful as the higher ones. So I probably will go for E90 M3 Coupe in 2 yr, unless the 2007/8 C-class AMG is a very pleasant surprise.

Sorry if this is a repost but for those that haven't read this.....

Interview with AMG's new boss
--------------------------------------------------

WEB EXCLUSIVE Q&A

New Mercedes-AMG boss outlines his strategy

TUTTGART -- Volker Mornhinweg, chairman of Mercedes-AMG, gave his first press interview since taking up his new job on September 1 to Automotive News Europe's German reporter Jens Meiners.

To fend off the challenges from BMW's M cars and Audi's RS models, as well as Jaguar, Cadillac and Lexus, Mornhinweg is considering:

Adding dual-clutch transmissions to make AMG cars more sporty
Switching from supercharging to turbocharging for AMG engines to gain additional power

Sharpening AMG's styling

Stuttgart-born Mornhinweg, a 45-year-old engineer, previously was manager of DaimlerChrysler's Berlin-Marienfelde powertrain plant.

Mercedes-Benz took control of German-based tuners AMG in 1999. In that year, the company sold about 5,000 cars. In 2004, AMG sold more than 20,000 units.

What are your biggest challenges ahead?

It is an exciting time at AMG. We are rolling out the new 6.3-liter V-8, we are introducing three new model lines in 2006 and we are putting our new engine into four existing vehicles.

With the arrival of the new, naturally aspirated 6.3-liter engine, is the chapter of supercharged engines closed at AMG?

Yes. Let me say that the supercharged 5.5-liter V-8 really triggered the success of AMG. But with the 6.3-liter V-8, we reach the same kind of output without supercharging. For the future, the trend will be turbocharging.

Will you reduce your engine portfolio to two engines - the 6.3-liter V-8 engine and the turbocharged 6.0-liter V-12?

Yes, in the midterm we will focus on these two engines. But we are looking for ways to bridge a gap between them in future. That could be, for example, a turbocharged version of a V-8, so there would be three levels of power.

What about the SLK and the G class - will they keep the current 5.5-liter V-8 engine?

For the SLK, we could use the new 6.3-liter engine, but we may also raise output of the current engine. There is no decision yet. As to the G class, we are keeping the supercharged 5.5-liter V-8 for the moment, but we are conducting a feasibility study on putting the new 6.3-liter engine into it. Let me also say that we are very happy that the G class continues in production; after all, almost one third of all G class vehicles are AMG versions.

The 6.3-liter engine was developed from scratch, and there are no commonalities with other Mercedes-Benz engines. Would you do such a project again?

The time was right to demonstrate we have the ability to develop this engine, and our customers will enjoy it tremendously. Would we do it again? I want to leave that open.

Could you do a V-6, or would you put a regular Mercedes engine, such as the 388hp, 5.5-liter V-8, into an AMG vehicle?

As to a Mercedes engine, the answer is a categorically "no". Our customers rightly expect a true AMG package, including powertrain, chassis and styling. We have long discussed the possibility of a V-6, but discarded the idea for the moment. But it may be reconsidered in the future if the market changes.

Will you offer an AMG diesel engine again?

There is no diesel project at the moment. We had the C30 CDI AMG in our portfolio before and it was very popular, particularly in Italy and France. We periodically review the possibility of another AMG diesel.

What about hybrids?

We are very closely studying the market. Overall, I have my reservations about the actual efficiency of hybrids, but at the end of the day it comes down to the customer. For example, if one day it becomes fashionable to silently drive up to a hip location in California with electric power, we will have to play a role there, too. That said, our customers tell us the pleasure (from driving an AMG) comes from power, torque and definitely the engine sound.

What is your strategy regarding transmissions?

We are very successful with our current package, which includes automatic transmissions. But dual-clutch transmissions are a feature that can be a lot of fun, because we can shift faster and play with the engine. We are actually evaluating the possible benefits and the feasibility of such an option. But to be clear, it is nothing to expect next year.

Could a dual-clutch system one day fully replace automatic transmissions?

We are not sure, but we are studying it - for AMG. It is a pure AMG topic.

And when the system comes, it will come in more than one model.

Could four-wheel-drive versions be added?

It is a fascinating topic for engineers, but there really is little customer demand. We don't need it for driving dynamics, and currently don't see the necessity beyond the G-, M- class and R- class models. But we could react very quickly if the market changes.

Will have AMG versions of the entry-level A class and B class?

Our core business is the top end of the market. We are driven by customer demand, and in some markets we see that even the C class is a borderline product. It will continue to be our entry-level car, because we can offer a very round package. For AMG versions of the A and B class, we simply don't see demand on the market.

Could you expand your portfolio in other ways?

We have 16 models on the market, and unlike some competitors, we have life cycles that are virtually identical with Mercedes' base models. So we are very happy with the current situation. In the future we want to expand our segmentation. With our entry-level models, such as the C class, we could become even sportier. The limited edition CLK DTM AMG was a tremendous success, and we can do more with similar models. From 2007 on, we will offer performance packages with a sharp focus on sportive characteristics.

What about individualization packages and the Mercedes-Benz "designo" program?

There is a clear need for action here. We will start a program, tentatively called "performance studio," to improve the visibility of our offerings. This includes AMG parts and packages, partly "designo", and possibly further Mercedes-Benz individualization offerings.

How important are motor sports such as the Deutschen Tourenwagen Masters (DTM)?

AMG is born on the racetrack, and our customers are fascinated by it. It is a great marketing topic, and we will always support motor sport, because it is a clear asset. As to the DTM, we live from competition and enthusiasm, and it would be nice to have more than one competitor (Audi). It would be fantastic for instance, if BMW returned to the DTM.

What will be the AMG design signature?

We have our own design studio, and we are currently working on our future design strategy. I would say that on the road you can recognize an AMG even without a label. We have to be careful to keep this signature, which we have developed since 1999 and 2000. But we must also position ourselves for the future. I think it is fair to say that we could become a bit more aggressive.

Do AMG customers want the latest technological innovations?

We have to be careful here. Our chassis and drivetrain solutions are highly advanced. But we work with base vehicles that have a lot of cutting-edge technology and electronics, such as night-vision systems or the COMAND user interface. Our customers do not really ask for more; on the contrary, we are sometimes asked if we can take technology out of our cars.

There is a certain clientele asking for lightweight, purist solutions, such as we offered in the CLK DTM AMG. We will target these customers with the performance packages.

What is your sales outlook for the future?

Since 1999, when Mercedes-Benz fully took over AMG, our sales numbers grew fivefold. We won't match that rate of growth, but our goal is to continue the very profitable growth.

A final question, how do you respond to criticism of making excessively expensive and environmentally unfriendly cars?

Of course, we have a commitment to society. I am not going to tell you we will make a "one-liter car" next, but we definitely have the ambition to make our cars more efficient, and we want to place emphasis on efficient engines and lightweight solutions within the segment in which we operate
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #75
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I like Volker Mornhinweg's thought train. Smart guy. Let's hope BMW is working along the same lines.

The C-class looks way too bug-eyed to me (like the big Lexus), and I don't like the front bumper corner tack-ons.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #76
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
agree, the designers seem like all the times add a bit of extra jewels to every car.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #77
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstarr
08' c class. doesn't look too bad.
It looks like Lexus ES 330. Sucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #78
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I think it is very definitely a Mercedes. The ES has a strange angle on it's headlights, and a "fat head" look to it's bonnet (aka hood) because the headlights are too close together and the arc over the bonnet between the headlights to too curved.

It is interesting, there is a reinterpretation of the signature MB line on the flanks, but they have certainly tightened the radius to sharpen it into a crease line very much like the E90.

I don't think it looks sporty enough to me, but it certainly isn't an offensive design, it looks nicely resolved to me.
      01-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #79
Wolf359
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Would be nice to have some shots from other angles!

I too thought the side crease was a bit of a rip-off the E90, yet it looks a bit different. I don't dig the headlights or oversized grill, but the general shape looks okay.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #80
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
I like Volker Mornhinweg's thought train. Smart guy. Let's hope BMW is working along the same lines.

Ditto.

I love the new C's look though...

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #81
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
...I don't dig the headlights or oversized grill, but the general shape looks okay.
This is just a pshop which are usually out of proportion to my eye...

Anyway, if this is at least indicative of the final design, perhaps MB are trying to visually emphasise the size of the vehicle. This would be consistent with their brand, where they like their cars to look substantial, safe and expensive. The design certainly fits this bill to my eye.

Hence I don't think it looks sporty enough for me. Looks too heavy and this is precisely because of the headlights and grille.
      03-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #82
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Spy Video of new generation C-Class
Play Video

Appreciate 0