BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-23-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
PE Exhaust Mod vs. Universal Muffler/Resonator

I've had a muffler delete on my car for a year now and still enjoy it, but I'm hoping to, quiet things down a bit, smooth out the sound, and eliminate the drone from 2.2k-2.5k (6MT). My best options (short of having a 135i muffler custom fit) seem to be the PE exhaust mod or having a universal muffler or resonator (Borla, Vibrant, etc.) installed.

If I go with the PE exhaust mod the most cost-effective way would be to do it on my stock muffler, but haven't found much info on how the 128i muffler differs from the 135i muffler. Can anyone comment on this? If its as simple as cutting it open wrapping/welding the perforations closed, and welding the thing back together then I'll happily pay a shop to do it, but it seems like the 128i muffler is much different than the 135i muffler..

I haven't seen many people on this forum running universal mufflers, but they also seems like a decent way to achieve my goals without breaking the bank. Problem is I have no clue where to start as there are so many options, so any input would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0