BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
32
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Redline D4, D6 or MT-LV?

Currently running D6 as per the redline recommendations, however I find it to be a little notchy especially when cold.

I live in the north east and will either switch to the trust D4 but I recently heard about the MT-LV and supposedly its kind of a best of both worlds deal.

Anyone using it and can put up their experiences? Any reason not to use it if those experiences are positive? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Captain
Thunderguts's Avatar
470
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Well, I have the Getrag transmission so it's not an apple-apple comparison, but if you're already unhappy with the feel of cold D6, cold D4 will be even worse. D4 isn't too bad for me in the winter, but I'm in a much warmer climate. I've never used MT-LV, but it's supposed to be even thicker than D4, almost the weight of MTL, so that would be worse still.

For cold temperatures, D6 is going to be the best Redline product.
__________________
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #3
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
32
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

According to Redline the indexes are as follows, so if Im reading this right, it makes MT-LV the thinnest when cold and slightly thicker than D6 when warmed up no?

40C/100C
MTL 50.8/10.4
MT-LV 29.8/6.5
D4 35.1/7.1
D6 31/6.3
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:10 PM   #4
drwillb
BMW Fan
drwillb's Avatar
United_States
232
Rep
762
Posts

Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: northern NJ

iTrader: (4)

I'm using MTL in north Jersey. No complaints. If it's a little stiff on cold start it's all gone within a couple of miles.

A non-issue for me. Just use whatever gives the best lubrication for your use.

edit: I just realized that we've spoken on the phone and you live very close to me. You can drive my car and see what you think.
__________________
2012 135i Mods: air scoops, CP, BMS filter, PS1, N20 TMAP, ADE FMIC, BMW PE, JB4, BMS BEF, 1M front body, full M3 suspension
Owned so far: 88 M3 x 2, 95 325is, 95 M3 x 2, 06 Mini Cooper S, 08 335 xi, 09 Z4 35i, 01 M3, 12 135i
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #5
spidertri
Private First Class
spidertri's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
152
Posts

Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rock Hill, SC

iTrader: (0)

I'm using MT-LV in my 128i getrag. Previously had MTL in the trans, both are notchy when its cold this time of year but have been good when warmed up.
__________________
11 128i Space Gray slicktop
13 WK2 Deep Cherry
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
32
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

So I ended up ordering some MT-LV from FCP so Ill report if its any better than the 3 year old D6
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3995
Rep
6,014
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarntpeople View Post
So I ended up ordering some MT-LV from FCP so Ill report if its any better than the 3 year old D6
Running MT-LV in my winter E90 ZF box. Feels good up here in Canada. In my 1er, I put in 1L of MTL, then topped off with MT-LV. That is a summer only car though.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
32
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Running MT-LV in my winter E90 ZF box. Feels good up here in Canada. In my 1er, I put in 1L of MTL, then topped off with MT-LV. That is a summer only car though.
The 135 sees mostly spring and summer, but does get driven sporadically all year round. No complaints even in the cold?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3995
Rep
6,014
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarntpeople View Post
The 135 sees mostly spring and summer, but does get driven sporadically all year round. No complaints even in the cold?
No idea, have never driven it in the cold since putting the fluid in.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 07:53 PM   #10
Papa Popov
Private
Papa Popov's Avatar
24
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Well, I have the Getrag transmission so it's not an apple-apple comparison, but if you're already unhappy with the feel of cold D6, cold D4 will be even worse. D4 isn't too bad for me in the winter, but I'm in a much warmer climate. I've never used MT-LV, but it's supposed to be even thicker than D4, almost the weight of MTL, so that would be worse still.

For cold temperatures, D6 is going to be the best Redline product.
Do you prefer D4 or D6? I'm in a pretty warm climate as well, but temps do drop below freezing on occasion during the colder months.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:59 AM   #11
Thunderguts
Captain
Thunderguts's Avatar
470
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Do you prefer D4 or D6? I'm in a pretty warm climate as well, but temps do drop below freezing on occasion during the colder months.
I've used stock fluid, Redline MTL, GM Syncromesh with modifier, and Redline D4. The MTL was too thick in my opinion and shifts were way too stiff. GM Synchromesh was also too stiff, but a little bit better than MTL as I recall. Redline D4 is the best I've found so far. I also have the short shift kit so my shifts will always be a little stiff. I can't imagine that I would prefer D6 which is even heavier. The D4 is acceptable when cold and it warms up in about 5 minutes to shift normally.
__________________
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:19 PM   #12
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
32
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

So first impressions on the straight MT-LV is that shifts seem much more fluid cold and even smoother warmed up. I have the BMW Performance Shift Kit, so mileage may vary, but definitely seems better than OEM and D6 which is the only other comparisons I have.

Ill update this with impressions after a month and when the weather in NJ gets warmer to see if things change.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2021, 12:23 AM   #13
Thunderguts
Captain
Thunderguts's Avatar
470
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarntpeople View Post
So first impressions on the straight MT-LV is that shifts seem much more fluid cold and even smoother warmed up. I have the BMW Performance Shift Kit, so mileage may vary, but definitely seems better than OEM and D6 which is the only other comparisons I have.

Ill update this with impressions after a month and when the weather in NJ gets warmer to see if things change.
Good news. I might give it a try. It's easy enough to swap out and I'd gladly risk $30 for improved shift feel.
__________________
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #14
Thunderguts
Captain
Thunderguts's Avatar
470
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Well, I ordered a couple of quarts from FCP so I'll give it a try this weekend. Shifter feel is one of the most important qualities in a car for me so I'm willing to take the chance.
__________________
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 07:28 PM   #15
Papa Popov
Private
Papa Popov's Avatar
24
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I've used stock fluid, Redline MTL, GM Syncromesh with modifier, and Redline D4. The MTL was too thick in my opinion and shifts were way too stiff. GM Synchromesh was also too stiff, but a little bit better than MTL as I recall. Redline D4 is the best I've found so far. I also have the short shift kit so my shifts will always be a little stiff. I can't imagine that I would prefer D6 which is even heavier. The D4 is acceptable when cold and it warms up in about 5 minutes to shift normally.
I'll give D4 a go. Running the Dinan SSK, but I still feel like something is missing from the trans and its driving me crazy. My dumbass also didn't replace the shifter bearing when installing the SSK, so the vibration in 6th is probably contributing to that.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:03 PM   #16
Thunderguts
Captain
Thunderguts's Avatar
470
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

OMG! I'm blown away by the MT-LV! Thank you to the OP for mentioning it. I had never looked at it before, but I feel like a fool for not finding it sooner.

My experiences here: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...2#post27181992
__________________
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #17
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
32
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Yeah I have to say, still cold here in the NE, and still smooth. I think this is the one to stick with.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST