BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
Money_Shift
Rep
Drives: 135

How can I figure out what factory audio package I have?

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out if my car's audio sounds terrible because something is messed up or if it's just the basic speaker package or something. It's a 2012 135i coupe with iDrive. It has tweeters on the A pillars, speakers in the front doors and speakers on the rear shelf and they all seem to work fine; they don't sounds blown out or anything. But music essentially has no bass, no low range at all.

Do all e82's have speakers under the front seats? If so, I tried listening and don't hear a single thing from under either seat, but I think I see a speaker grill? I tried looking up the audio options but didn't find much. Is there a way to figure out which speaker package I have so I can figure out what is/isn't working right?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 02:39 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

You can put your VIN into a decoder and see what packages it came with. I don't have a link but should be easy to find.

You're on the right track w/ speaker locations. Tweeters in the A pillars means you at least have the mid level package (of 3 levels total). If it doesn't say Harmon Kardon then that is probably it - level 2 of 3.

This can help: https://musicarnw.com/identifying-bm...audio-systems/

The rest of their site has some good info as well. I've dealt with the company a few times for stereo parts and kits and have always been really happy.

The simple thing would be to get a stronger amp for the woofers under the seats, and after that stick a sub in the trunk. Sky is the limit of course as there is always more you can do.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 12:08 AM   #3
Money_Shift
Rep
Drives: 135

Thanks for the info. I found a VIN decoder that works and showed that I do have the middle HiFi system. Which clarifies a few things, and brings me back to my real problem of the under-seat speakers not working. I'm pretty confident they're both dead because I can't hear or feel anything from them, even with the bass turned all the way up. I guess I can pull the seats to double check but I can't imagine they should be so weak I can't hear them with my head by the floor.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I think you're right, even if they aren't totally / completely dead it doesn't matter because they aren't doing nearly enough. May as well start planning a repair / upgrade either way.
Appreciate 1