BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Real Time Traffic (RTTI) Coding for Canada

This may seem a little obscure.

It was a real pain in the ass, but I finally have a 4G Combox in my 2013 135i up and running and a valid subscription, so all my Connected Drive functions are now operational again.

One feature they did not enable in Canada is Real Time Traffic. This feature is available on the newer cars however.

I seem to recall this feature is available in the US, so I am wondering if this feature can just be coded on?

Anyone have an idea?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

From what I recall and how it's been operating, the real time traffic info is done over the radio and not via the comm box. I still get the info displayed on the nav maps even though I haven't had my Connected Drive functions active for years.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
From what I recall and how it's been operating, the real time traffic info is done over the radio and not via the comm box. I still get the info displayed on the nav maps even though I haven't had my Connected Drive functions active for years.
Oh? Interesting. Figured it was cell based like the newer cars. Being radio based should make it easier to code.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 03:31 AM   #4
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
This may seem a little obscure.

It was a real pain in the ass, but I finally have a 4G Combox in my 2013 135i up and running and a valid subscription, so all my Connected Drive functions are now operational again.

One feature they did not enable in Canada is Real Time Traffic. This feature is available on the newer cars however.

I seem to recall this feature is available in the US, so I am wondering if this feature can just be coded on?

Anyone have an idea?
RTTI and its predecessor VI+ are cell based, TMC is radio based.

RTTI does require an active subscription at the BMW-ConnectedDrive portal and should be bookable from cars manufactured from 09/2011 upwards.
BMW does not activate RTTI for cars manufactured before that date, you will stuck with VI+ (which is not worth the money)
Even your CIC has the required firmware update they dont enable it, i tried this already with my car without success.

Afaik it does authenticate via the car VIN number on the BMW servers, in earlier days it was possible with coding a VIN with an active RTTI subscription into your combox, but thats not possible anymore.

At least here at europe some shady company do offer lifetime RTTI activation for 100€ at ebay, they send you a thumbdrive to flash your car, but i don`t know if i would do that.

Can you tell us more about that 4G combox retrofitting ? is there a EBA for it ? any Partnumbers/documents ?

Kri

Last edited by Kri; 02-25-2021 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 1