BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
caymanpilot
Registered
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: e87 n43 116i

Radio Help

I recently purchased a 2010 E87 from Japan, which came with an aftermarket stereo. Wishing to restore it with an original BMW Professional stereo, I picked one up off eBay. This unit came from the US and is a HiFi version. I assumed this was the correct one as i have 8 speakers in my car. When I installed the radio i can only hear any sound if I turn the volume up as high as it goes, and even then it is faint.

I notice from the rear that the stereo has fibre optics for the MOST system. My radio harness does not have any fibre cables and so I am assuming this may be the issue. If I install a fibre loop on the back of the stereo will it bypass it and get the volume back? or do I need to have the card coded somehow?

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Sounds like you have hifi or top hifi, but picked up a logic7 HU? Only L7 has fiber optics.
A loop helps people in other situations, so you could try, very cheap on ebay.
      11-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymanpilot View Post
I recently purchased a 2010 E87 from Japan, which came with an aftermarket stereo. Wishing to restore it with an original BMW Professional stereo, I picked one up off eBay. This unit came from the US and is a HiFi version. I assumed this was the correct one as i have 8 speakers in my car. When I installed the radio i can only hear any sound if I turn the volume up as high as it goes, and even then it is faint.

I notice from the rear that the stereo has fibre optics for the MOST system. My radio harness does not have any fibre cables and so I am assuming this may be the issue. If I install a fibre loop on the back of the stereo will it bypass it and get the volume back? or do I need to have the card coded somehow?

Any help would be appreciated.
You just need to have the car (radio) coded to turn off the top hifi output and hifi output back on. It can be done via dcan but icom is the correct way to code it via ncsexpert. Looping it will do nothing.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
caymanpilot
Registered
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: e87 n43 116i

Thanks David,

I have just picked up a dcan cable, would you be able to point me in the right direction of how I go about this?
Appreciate 0