BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
1junkie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i Convertible

PPK and loud fan

So I met with Joe at TGS on Friday night and he gave me the PPK upgrade. Since then I have noticed an abnormally loud fan sound sound when I get home. I popped the hood last night and gave a listen and it doesn't seem to be the radiator fan. Sound like it is coming from somewhere near the oil filter and under the intake. Is that the internal fan for the coolant and turbo? I never noticed it until the PPK upload. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
AntonioZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1junkie View Post
So I met with Joe at TGS on Friday night and he gave me the PPK upgrade. Since then I have noticed an abnormally loud fan sound sound when I get home. I popped the hood last night and gave a listen and it doesn't seem to be the radiator fan. Sound like it is coming from somewhere near the oil filter and under the intake. Is that the internal fan for the coolant and turbo? I never noticed it until the PPK upload. Any ideas?
Have you replaced the water pump yet?? Only reason is when it started going out the fan was running really loud. I was running Accessport stage 2 at the time when mine did it. Not sure if that helps at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
AntonioZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1junkie View Post
Have you replaced the water pump yet?? Only reason is when it started going out the fan was running really loud. I was running Accessport stage 2 at the time when mine did it. Not sure if that helps at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
1junkie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i Convertible

What do you mean by loud? I think I may have used the wrong word to describe it. Mine is louder than usual like it is running at a higher speed. If it is failing does it sound like it just running faster or does it make an odd noise? Sorry for any confusion. I was told that since I have the PPK now that it would run at a higher rate of speed so I just want to make sure that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
shawnyeeah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 N55 135i

I noticed the fan speed was increased and as a result could be heard more clearly from inside the car before my water pump went out. It wasn't a weird noise, just sounded like the fan was on max drive or something. Also it wasn't consistently like that. Came and went in spurts.

Appreciate 0