BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2022, 08:18 PM   #1
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Coilover: kw v3 or ohlins R&T

Hi,

Have been thinking about a coilover upgrade. Currently love the daily comfort of the stock oem 1m shocks and springs. Rear spring or shock is pretty worn (original equipment from 11 years ago) time for an upgrade.

Could opt for a kw HAS kit with new struts and shocks in the rear (oem shocks) and play with the ride height but many threads indicate that a full coilover is the better way to go.

Really dislike the fender gap at the front and want this addressed.
Better than oem performance is welcome but I don’t want a noising, clunky harsh ride.

How is the kw v3 kit?

How does the ohlins compare ?

Can everyone chime in on both the k3 and r&t set up
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
iDontRemember
Ding Dong!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Ohlins R&T here, better ride and handling than the OEM parts. Fit and finish are excellent. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner.

I think the biggest advantage to the Ohlins over the KW is that you can get the Ohlins from FCP and take advantage of their lifetime warranty (Ohlins recommends a rebuild at 40k miles) Either one you go with, I’d recommend thrust washers.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 06:39 PM   #3
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDontRemember View Post
Ohlins R&T here, better ride and handling than the OEM parts. Fit and finish are excellent. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner.

I think the biggest advantage to the Ohlins over the KW is that you can get the Ohlins from FCP and take advantage of their lifetime warranty (Ohlins recommends a rebuild at 40k miles) Either one you go with, I’d recommend thrust washers.
Thanks for the recommendations. Can you post a link to an exploded parts diagram of the thrust-washer you are referring to?

Is this an oem product? Or an aftermarket add on?

Assuming it allows the spring to rotate so that it does not ping.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 06:56 PM   #4
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Have kwv3 on one and Ohlins on another. Prefer the Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #5
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Have kwv3 on one and Ohlins on another. Prefer the Ohlins.
What are you liking on the ohlins that the kw cannot do?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 09:30 PM   #6
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. Can you post a link to an exploded parts diagram of the thrust-washer you are referring to?

Is this an oem product? Or an aftermarket add on?

Assuming it allows the spring to rotate so that it does not ping.
Here is an example of the thrust sheets I have on my Ohlins.
https://www.hpashop.com/Swift-Thrust...t-bearings.htm
I am sensitive to creaks and pop sounds that don’t belong so I did everything possible to prevent this.

I do not remember very well what the OEM ride quality was vs Ohlins. I remember expecting an amazing change but I don’t think it was that major a difference on the street — the car can still be very unruly on uneven pavement. I think the Ohlins provide a very OEM-(plus?)-ish ride.

However, I wanted a setup that was easy to mildly tweak for street vs track and for my level of driving, the Ohlins are great.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 12:33 AM   #7
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
What are you liking on the ohlins that the kw cannot do?
Felt more compliant overall. Personal feeling.
      02-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #8
MarkFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (G80)

Thanks to the OP for asking this question as it is one that I am struggling with as well. At first, the Ohlins seemed like the popular choice, but my car is a daily driver, including in winter weather with salt on the roads, and the KW is advertised as being weather-tested and designed for winter driving.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but does anyone have any experience or comments with respect to the Ohlins' ability to withstand winter driving conditions and salt vs. KW?
Gone: 911 GTS, BMW 1M, E46 M3, X7 M50i, Porsche Cayenne GTS, X5M, M2CS, Cayman GT4 (981), Alfa Giulia QV, Carrera T, F80 M3 CS, Focus RS, M2 (OG), 14 E63S AMG wagon, M3 & M4 (F8X), X5 (F15 & E70), 335IS, VW Golf R (MK7), Audi SQ5, Cayman (987), M3 (E90), M5 MT (F10), A4 Avant (B8), S4 (B8), RS4 (B7), VW GTIs (MK2 to MK6)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #9
iDontRemember
Ding Dong!
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFT View Post
Thanks to the OP for asking this question as it is one that I am struggling with as well. At first, the Ohlins seemed like the popular choice, but my car is a daily driver, including in winter weather with salt on the roads, and the KW is advertised as being weather-tested and designed for winter driving.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but does anyone have any experience or comments with respect to the Ohlins' ability to withstand winter driving conditions and salt vs. KW?
I live in NW Florida, no salty roads but plenty of salty air. To protect my Ohlins against corrosion, I gave them a generous coating of Boeshield T-9.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 10:54 PM   #10
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I have been very happy with my Ohlins mated to Vorschlag plates up front. I did not use thrust washers, and have not had any clunking.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:51 PM   #11
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I have been very happy with my Ohlins mated to Vorschlag plates up front. I did not use thrust washers, and have not had any clunking.
Ohlins not to aggressive for regular street use, can you dial the shocks right down for a fairly stock ride?

Or are they oem + ?
Oem ++?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:57 PM   #12
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
They really cleaned up the handling and have not disappointed at all on the track. The roads are pretty nice where I live, so I don't mind the slight bump up in firmness. I would not want them (or any decent track capable coilover setup) if I still lived in Maine where the roads are absolute crap.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 10:11 PM   #13
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Ohlins not to aggressive for regular street use, can you dial the shocks right down for a fairly stock ride?

Or are they oem + ?
Oem ++?
On full soft I find the ride to be very similar to OEM. Certainly not worse.

Full hard is marginally streetable -- I drove back from the track one time and had forgotten to dial back the settings and thought the car was broken. It was crashing over every expansion joint. On track this setting is excellent for my limited capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 07:38 PM   #14
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
On full soft I find the ride to be very similar to OEM. Certainly not worse.

Full hard is marginally streetable -- I drove back from the track one time and had forgotten to dial back the settings and thought the car was broken. It was crashing over every expansion joint. On track this setting is excellent for my limited capabilities.
Exactly what I wanted to hear….thank you for the insight.

Would want an option, as you have described, to be equal to stock (because the stock ride is awesome) and to have the option of oem + or flat out track mental.
Not that this car is a track machine for me my primary and exclusive use is for street.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 07:20 AM   #15
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFT View Post

Did you end up upgrading to a kw v3?
I have put this off and just getting back to this topic.

Was going to order a set in a week.

Any other v3 reviews 1m owners can post up?
Looking to daily drive and set up comfortably for the street.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 05:41 PM   #16
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

I have read that kw v3, while great, do apparently start making a lot of noise (namely - chirping).

Is this true with our set up on the 1m?

What about an ohlins set up< are these silent 🔇 over time?

I don’t want to spend any money if either is going to make a lot of noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 06:24 AM   #17
Ewok
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
I was running Bilsteins PSS10 for 5 years but switched to KW V3 recently due to lack of support for repairs and parts. Kept to the stock settings KW had from the box. I do mostly street driving and feel it is perfect in terms of comfort / amount of lowering , as well as handling. Feels slightly firmer than stock but not jarring. Comfortable over humps. I have no complaints so far. Does not make any weird noises either… No idea how this compares to the Ohlins.
Hope this helps !

Last edited by Ewok; 01-02-2024 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
ayao641.50