BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Exhaust Question

So just a quick question to see if anyone has done it in this order.

I got my Magnaflow touring cat-back in last week. Currently Bob is working on my headers tune, but with work being the way it is it will probably be about 3 weeks before I install them. I was planning to take a week off so I could take my time, load my tune, test everything, and resolve any issues that may arise. Also I need to take the wife out of town for a few days to relax.

But I got the Magnaflow because the previous owner had done a muffler delete, and I know when the headers go, it will be too loud.

With this exhaust, you mark about 7" downside of your secondary "cats" and make your cuts, then bolt everything back on.

So in short, anyone ever do this first and then install their headers a little later? I plan to keep my secondary cats, but I don't want to cut anything and then found out later that my exhaust doesn't "fit-up" like it did upon install when I do put my headers on.

From looking at it, it doesn't seem like it would matter as the AA headers bolt to the flange of the secondary cats and I would be making my cuts downstream of that.

Just wondering if anyone ever approached it in that order as I know I can knock out the cat-back in a few hours and it gives me a project this weekend to do along with the installation of my new steering wheel.

Thanks!