BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2019, 01:51 AM   #45
kaputt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I have no issues at all with mine, but I’m pretty sure the exhaust tips on the 135i exhaust are larger than the 128i. You could be having some rubbing there, especially if you have the two-piece rear bumper. Where did they cut the exhaust to weld it onto the stock pipe?
I’ll definitely take a look at the tips and see if they’re maybe rattling the diffuser. Also you can see in the photo where he cut and welded it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #46
carscatscoffee15
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Quote:
I have no issues at all with mine, but I’m pretty sure the exhaust tips on the 135i exhaust are larger than the 128i. You could be having some rubbing there, especially if you have the two-piece rear bumper. Where did they cut the exhaust to weld it onto the stock pipe?
I’ll definitely take a look at the tips and see if they’re maybe rattling the diffuser. Also you can see in the photo where he cut and welded it.
I went the AA cat back exhaust/headers route.. music to my ears when I butterfly tap the throttle *crack crack pop bang*
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #47
sixburgh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

Send a message via Yahoo to sixburgh
The BMW Performance Exhaust for the 128i is awesome.
If you can find one, get it. It sounds and looks great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #48
kaputt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:
Just looked and the tips aren’t touching anything so still not sure what is rattling.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #49
terced
1Addicts Addict
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E82 128i

My 128i with a muffler delete and secondary cat delete. No other engine mods as of right now...

drive by: https://streamable.com/ix4w1

downshift: https://streamable.com/43otc

Last edited by terced; 06-26-2019 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #50
doodoax
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

I'm in your exact same boat. I have a 128i with the N51 engine, so it's got the upgraded intake manifold from factory. Sounded way too quiet, so I deleted the secondary cats and resonator but kept the stock muffler. Now the exhaust SHINES. Zero drone under normal throttle, can hear some burbles with the top down. Really woke the car up. Give it some gas from 1.5-2.3k RPMs and it sounds MEAN. I love it now. Still aiming on making it louder.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #51
smeard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i msport

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I've got catless headers into a 3" straight back. Stupid loud but the car is not my daily anymore. Only for the brave if you daily the car. Ear to ear smile when I floor it, but also several middle fingers too Very e46-like, rasp is unreal on acceleration and especially on decel. Car doesn't have a tune on it yet but backfires and shoots flames. My friend's video below has some shots of me in it backfiring (skip to 2:00, 4:00 and 6:50). I need to post my videos to youtube. End of video has some Mexico action between me and a bolt on mustang gt 4.6L. He got me on 40 roll, but i got him from dig and 25. Pulls hard and screams like a hooker who got paid with monopoly money!

Attached Images

08-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #52
Ygrene
SlacksWearer™
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

I installed the Magnaflow catback on my 128 and have been very happy with the sound. No drone and slightly louder than stock at idle, sounds great above 3K and overall makes for a great daily driver option if there is concern about being too loud.

I did have to do some minimal bending of the heat shield to accommodate as I had a little rattle initially but have had no clearance issues since. I will say that it was pretty difficult to cut the exhaust while the car was on jack stands, mostly due to lack of work space, for anyone who might be trying this on their own.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1136.50

08-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #53
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygrene View Post
I installed the Magnaflow catback on my 128 and have been very happy with the sound. No drone and slightly louder than stock at idle, sounds great above 3K and overall makes for a great daily driver option if there is concern about being too loud.

I did have to do some minimal bending of the heat shield to accommodate as I had a little rattle initially but have had no clearance issues since. I will say that it was pretty difficult to cut the exhaust while the car was on jack stands, mostly due to lack of work space, for anyone who might be trying this on their own.
I've got the same exhaust. When I installed my headers, the car just had a muffler delete from the previous owner. I didn't much care for it.

Even with catless headers (I still have the secondary cats), the Magnaflow sounds great. I used a battery powered saws-all with a short blade when I made my cuts.

It is a pain on Jack stands though!
2011 128i: 3:73 Rear Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, Magnaflow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, Charcoal Delete, StageFP Stage 2 Tune, APEX ARC8, MILVS Coming!!

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #54
///Makis
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:
It will take a few days to really sound good. Don't judge it yet.
Realized I didn’t come back and update this. A few weeks in now and the exhaust sounds great. It’s the perfect amount of sound without any drone. If you have a 128i and want a good exhaust, snag the 135i PE while you can.

I will note that I’ve had one issue. The exhaust has a small rattle when at idle. I’ve tried getting down under there while it’s running to see what it might be, and I think it’s either a hanger that’s not sitting right or it may be vibrating against the heat shield somehow.

Weirdly, it only does the rattle at a warmed up idle RPM. The cold start, higher idle, doesn’t have any rattle. And if you add just a touch of gas when sitting there it goes away as well. I’m going to be taking it back to the guy who did it soon since he warranties his work for a year.
It could be that at the warmed up idle (which is lower rpm than then cold start idle) is reverberating at a frequency where it's causing it to shake against a hanger or like you said heat shield, but my guess is it's reverberating against a hanger.

How high pitched (or low) is the sound?

My step dad has an 86 wrangler (I think it's 86) with a magnaflow exhaust, and at certain rpms it does have a metal against metal vibration/hum.

Did you end up getting fixed?
Appreciate 0