BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #45
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
Another install note regarding the oil supply line and GFB DV+:

Make sure you install the oil supply line onto the turbo before putting the turbo in the engine bay. It's pretty much unreachable once it's bolted onto the motor. If you did your install yourself, I'm sure you already realized that when removing the turbo.

If using the GFB DV+, preinstall it on the turbo, hang the turbofold with just a couple of nuts on the flange, barely screwed on enough to hold it, like a 5 threads or so. Front top and bottom rear are easiest to access. While it's like that, insert the oil supply line into the block and bolt it down. It's much easier to reach with normal tool setups with the turbo having some wiggle room.

Once the line is installed in the block, you can proceed with bolting down the turbofold, working slowly across all the bolts from inside out, top to bottom, to seat it evenly and not damage the gaskets.
Thanks for the tip! One note on reinstalling and torquing the turbofold, it’s not always top to bottom from the center when tightening. I have the removal and install instructions for e series turbo In the op. I believe page 6 has the tightening pattern for the turbofold.
      07-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #46
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93 & 2012 135i E82

Thinking of upgrading to the PS2 this fall...any thoughts on reliability? My stock turbo is at 100K and still working fine...how long can I expect the PS2 to go before refurbishment assuming DD + 10 track days a year (no drag racing). Interested in people's real world experience. Thx.

2012 135i E82 M-Sport - Wagner EVO1 FMIC, ERCP, BMS Intake, Mason Strut Bar, Wedge MHD Tune, Stoptech Brakes//2008 335i E93 - HPF FMIC, ERCP, c-PE DPs, Wedge MHD Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #47
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Thinking of upgrading to the PS2 this fall...any thoughts on reliability? My stock turbo is at 100K and still working fine...how long can I expect the PS2 to go before refurbishment assuming DD + 10 track days a year (no drag racing). Interested in people's real world experience. Thx.
So far the reliability has been the same as my stock turbo. To be fair, I only have about 10k on the ps2, but they are mostly very hard driven miles. Went to a half mile event and had no issues with the turbo. This is my weekend car so when I drive it, it is usually to go on a canyon run, and the turbo has been issue free.

Part of the reliability equation is how hard you are planning to run the turbo. I am mostly around 70-80% duty cycle, so I am not pushing max boost. But my whp is probably around 450ish, and at that hp level the turbo has been running great.

One thing I really like about Pure Turbos is they are continually trying to make the turbo better. Since I purchased my turbo, I believe they have made some additional tweaks to gain more power.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
AndyW309.50

07-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #48
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93 & 2012 135i E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
So far the reliability has been the same as my stock turbo. To be fair, I only have about 10k on the ps2, but they are mostly very hard driven miles. Went to a half mile event and had no issues with the turbo. This is my weekend car so when I drive it, it is usually to go on a canyon run, and the turbo has been issue free.

Part of the reliability equation is how hard you are planning to run the turbo. I am mostly around 70-80% duty cycle, so I am not pushing max boost. But my whp is probably around 450ish, and at that hp level the turbo has been running great.

One thing I really like about Pure Turbos is they are continually trying to make the turbo better. Since I purchased my turbo, I believe they have made some additional tweaks to gain more power.

I hope this helps.
It helps a lot. I have no intention of maxing the turbo either, and 450 HP at the track would be great.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #49
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Great thread. Was the issue with the car shutting down when hot (voltage spiking) ever figured out? Plan on installing one of these turbos on my wife's track car over the winter, we want to make ~450whp. Car is used almost exclusively for hillclimb/track use. Haven't had those issues with the stock turbo, so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #50
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
Great thread. Was the issue with the car shutting down when hot (voltage spiking) ever figured out? Plan on installing one of these turbos on my wife's track car over the winter, we want to make ~450whp. Car is used almost exclusively for hillclimb/track use. Haven't had those issues with the stock turbo, so far.
Yeah, it was due to defective Delphi coilpacks. There are a couple of threads on here were people running into a similar issue, all running Delphi coilpacks. Someone figured out that a voltage spike was coming from the coil packs which was causing the weird issues I ran into. I got lucky someone else figured that out.

A lot of people run Delphi’s with great results. I think we just got defective units.

I put my stock coils back in with 35k on them and not one issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #51
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Yeah, it was due to defective Delphi coilpacks. There are a couple of threads on here were people running into a similar issue, all running Delphi coilpacks. Someone figured out that a voltage spike was coming from the coil packs which was causing the weird issues I ran into. I got lucky someone else figured that out.

A lot of people run Delphi’s with great results. I think we just got defective units.

I put my stock coils back in with 35k on them and not one issue.
Thank you! I'll keep a spare stock set with me then.
Appreciate 0