BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

CA dems will stop Trump in any way possible

These screwballs are really out of control......

Quote:
The California Legislature has overwhelmingly passed a measure requiring all presidential and gubernatorial candidates to release their tax returns to get on the primary ballot, which could shake things up for President Donald Trump in the 2020 election.

The Presidential Tax Transparency & Accountability Act, SB 27, would require that the candidates release the previous five years of their returns. The bill passed 57-17 in the Assembly on Tuesday and 29-10 in the state Senate Thursday. It now awaits the signature of Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom to become law.

The measure includes an urgency clause, which would allow the legislation to take effect immediately, in time for the 2020 election, reports ABC-7 News. The measure only applies to the primary ballot because the state constitution allows political parties to nominate their own presidential candidates in the general election.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

It will be interesting to see if that violates the US Constitution. I don’t think the states have anything do do with qualifying candidates. And the primaries really are the parties selecting their candidates. Plus it is a privacy violation to require disclosure.

So this gets litigated for sure.
Appreciate 3
Delta03117354.50
glennQNYC5601.50
Run Silent12314.50

07-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Does it matter? California is blue anyway.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 2
ntg44836.00
Run Silent12314.50

07-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Since the law only applies to primary ballots, what exactly does this accomplish? Plus, it isn't exactly like Trump has any hope of winning California's electoral votes in the general election anyway. He should make a political statement and not even put his name on the state ballot in the general election.....
      07-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
cjb762
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent11202 View Post
These screwballs are really out of control......
Are you opposed to trump releasing his taxes (or any candidate for that matter)? If so, why?

Also, it's not just CA: https://newrepublic.com/article/1473...se-tax-returns

Last edited by cjb762; 07-13-2019 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

i couldn't care less about Trump's taxes nor anyone else. All I care about is what Trump does and he is doing a fine job. TRUMP 2020!
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 1
MKSixer15454.50

07-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Genieman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Should be a non-issue since it only applies to primaries. Having said that, and in reply to those who said who cares abt CA and he can just stay off CA's ballots, that could become an issue due to the number of states that have made rules where the winner of the national popular vote will be granted all the electoral votes of the state. If a candidate fails to be an official candidate within a state, he won't get popular votes from the state which will vastly reduce the popular votes on which other states are planning to allocate electoral votes.

And having said that, I doubt any of these state rules relating to federal elections would hold up if the fed govt challenged them in the Supreme Court as they undermine fair elections. If people want to change to require tax disclosure or popular vs electoral votes, then make it a federal law through constitutional amendment, if necessary. We can't have every state making its own rules to undermine the federal process because the state is trying to rig it for their favorite party/candidate.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

It's California, just give the electoral votes to the Dim in the first place and save the state the money of even running the election process.

These are the same buffoons who will scream all day and burn the country down for even daring to ask about citizenship on a census form.
Appreciate 2
Delta03117354.50
MKSixer15454.50

07-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Fortunately for Cali the state is wildly successful right now viv-a-viss illegal immigration, taxes, people leaving (except for illegals), free healthcare for illegls, San-Fran is totally devoid of filth, politicians are clueless...so they can justifiably hate trump who is wildly successful in Making America great...oh wait they can't and aren't...

If the earthquake sends them 10 miles off thecoast they can have their own independent country (shithole)
Appreciate 1
Delta03117354.50

07-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #10
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Does it matter? California is blue anyway.
Yes it does matter, in the sense itís certainly a precedent that should not be set.
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
cjb762
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Yes it does matter, in the sense itís certainly a precedent that should not be set.
There was a 40 year precedent of presidential candidates providing tax returns, until trump.

I honestly don't understand the resistance to requiring a presidential candidate to provide tax returns. In what way is it possibly a bad thing? Before you vote to put someone into one of the most important offices on earth, wouldn't you like as much information as you can to know that they don't have some serious conflict of interest, or that they aren't a criminal, or that they aren't beholden to a foreign power, etc?

I have a strong suspicion that a lot of people here would be on their chairs demanding a release of returns if it were hillary clinton refusing to release them rather than trump.
Appreciate 1
minn195882.00

07-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #12
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

Shouldn't we all be more concerned with politicians that became millionaires than millionaires that became politicians?
Appreciate 7
lakefront193.00
vreihen16777.50
glennQNYC5601.50
Run Silent12314.50
UncleWede8116.00
Now_Rudi6315.00

07-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #13
cjb762
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
Shouldn't we all be more concerned with politicians that became millionaires than millionaires that became politicians?

I'm not sure if you are saying that tongue in cheek, but I think the honest answer is that we should be deeply concerned about the qualifications and competence of anyone running for public office.
Appreciate 1
minn195882.00

07-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #14
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
I'm not sure if you are saying that tongue in cheek, but I think the honest answer is that we should be deeply concerned about the qualifications and competence of anyone running for public office.
Not tongue in cheek at all.

This thread is about tax returns, so what does a tax return tell you about qualifications and competence?

Bernie Sanders has never had a real job. What would seeing his tax returns prior to first running for office tell you?

AOC was a bartender prior to being elected. Knowing a number of bartenders/servers, I'm 99% sure she has committed tax fraud by under reporting her tips/earnings.

Someone like Trump has accountants that are taking advantage of every legal loophole possible to minimize taxable income. So anything you see is going to be a bunch of legal smoke and mirrors as a means of tax mitigation. All you'll get is a bunch of halfwits trying to find that "gotcha" to prove what they believe. Nothing good comes of it at this point.

The point with my original comment was that the dealings of someone like Trump, or any other even moderately wealthy person, are largely known prior to them running for office. The tax returns won't show anything other than specific numbers to what was basically already known. If you're looking for conflicts of interest or people profiting from their positions, it would be a much more fruitful endeavor to start scrutinizing individuals, such as Bernie Sanders, who have become quite wealthy while earning a steady income as a public servant. But that's not what this is really about.
Appreciate 5
bosstones437.00
Run Silent12314.50
Now_Rudi6315.00

07-14-2019, 12:27 AM   #15
Genieman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Yes it does matter, in the sense it's certainly a precedent that should not be set.
There was a 40 year precedent of presidential candidates providing tax returns, until trump.

I honestly don't understand the resistance to requiring a presidential candidate to provide tax returns. In what way is it possibly a bad thing? Before you vote to put someone into one of the most important offices on earth, wouldn't you like as much information as you can to know that they don't have some serious conflict of interest, or that they aren't a criminal, or that they aren't beholden to a foreign power, etc?

I have a strong suspicion that a lot of people here would be on their chairs demanding a release of returns if it were hillary clinton refusing to release them rather than trump.
It's not a law so it can't be a requirement. Forget the question of should it be or shouldn't it be, that's secondary. It's not currently required by law, so pissing and moaning abt it doesn't make sense. IRS has seen the returns, likely nothing illegal going on or they would have pursued him. Conflict may or may not be an issue but for a billionaire he might have hundreds of LLCs for various individual projects. Nested LLCs with different entities owning different proportions of other entities. It could be an entire convoluted shit show. Keeping that in mind, if it's a big enough "problem," and there is enough demand for it nationally, let someone take on the task of making it a federal election requirement. I don't think anyone is against the nation, as a whole, making a decision through legislation or constitutional amendment in line with the demands of the majority. What bothers me is statutory rules being put in place rather than attacking the problem federally.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee1632.50

07-14-2019, 12:50 AM   #16
cjb762
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
Not tongue in cheek at all.

This thread is about tax returns, so what does a tax return tell you about qualifications and competence?

Bernie Sanders has never had a real job. What would seeing his tax returns prior to first running for office tell you?

AOC was a bartender prior to being elected. Knowing a number of bartenders/servers, I'm 99% sure she has committed tax fraud by under reporting her tips/earnings.

Someone like Trump has accountants that are taking advantage of every legal loophole possible to minimize taxable income. So anything you see is going to be a bunch of legal smoke and mirrors as a means of tax mitigation. All you'll get is a bunch of halfwits trying to find that "gotcha" to prove what they believe. Nothing good comes of it at this point.

The point with my original comment was that the dealings of someone like Trump, or any other even moderately wealthy person, are largely known prior to them running for office. The tax returns won't show anything other than specific numbers to what was basically already known. If you're looking for conflicts of interest or people profiting from their positions, it would be a much more fruitful endeavor to start scrutinizing individuals, such as Bernie Sanders, who have become quite wealthy while earning a steady income as a public servant. But that's not what this is really about.
What might it tell you about qualifications? Well, it might tell you if someone committed a criminal act such as income tax evasion (see nixon). It might tell you if someone owes a significant amount of money to a foreign company or government. If a candidate has claimed that he is an incredibly successful businessman, but tax returns showed he actual lost $1 billion over 10 years (which i don't believe was basically already known), it might make you question his integrity - especially if he lied about why he wasn't going to comply with the norms by handing over his returns.

What might it tell you about competence? Some would argue that losing $1 billion in 10 years says something about an individual's competence.

by the way, I absolutely agree that sanders and his like should be scrutinized, but to say that we shouldn't be equally concerned about millionaires turned politicians is just wrongheaded.
Appreciate 1
minn195882.00

07-14-2019, 01:33 AM   #17
Eriphill
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
What might it tell you about qualifications? Well, it might tell you if someone committed a criminal act such as income tax evasion (see nixon). It might tell you if someone owes a significant amount of money to a foreign company or government. If a candidate has claimed that he is an incredibly successful businessman, but tax returns showed he actual lost $1 billion over 10 years (which i don't believe was basically already known), it might make you question his integrity - especially if he lied about why he wasn't going to comply with the norms by handing over his returns.

What might it tell you about competence? Some would argue that losing $1 billion in 10 years says something about an individual's competence.

by the way, I absolutely agree that sanders and his like should be scrutinized, but to say that we shouldn't be equally concerned about millionaires turned politicians is just wrongheaded.
Oh gawd more drivel from this TDS infected drone. It's like whack-a-mole in this place. The IRS have always had his returns and if there was any wrongdoing you don't think they would have acted? And if they had you don't think those court proceedings would have come to light? And the line about a corporation owing money to foreign lenders somehow equating to some kind of influence is moronic at best. Crawl back in your hole for I'd say...the next 5 1/2 years.
Appreciate 3
N54Yankee1632.50
Delta03117354.50
DocB255.00

07-14-2019, 04:57 AM   #18
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
Quote:

Oh gawd more drivel from this TDS infected drone. It's like whack-a-mole in this place. The IRS have always had his returns and if there was any wrongdoing you don't think they would have acted? And if they had you don't think those court proceedings would have come to light? And the line about a corporation owing money to foreign lenders somehow equating to some kind of influence is moronic at best. Crawl back in your hole for I'd say...the next 5 1/2 years.
Beat me to it. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Where do all these CNN TDS Zombies come from?
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 1
Delta03117354.50

07-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #19
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have a small question, why didn't they write the law to apply to anyone running in CA, from council, to mayor, to freeholder, to governor and so on?
Appreciate 2
Delta03117354.50
glennQNYC5601.50

07-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #20
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
I have a small question, why didn't they write the law to apply to anyone running in CA, from council, to mayor, to freeholder, to governor and so on?
Because see *

* Does not apply to Democrats
Appreciate 2
scostu1133.50
Run Silent12314.50

07-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #21
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I'm tossing this here because I'm Sunday lazy.

Do a Mueller style deep dive on Pelosi and Feinstein...

A Washington state man is shot dead while throwing molotovs at an immigration detention centers propane tanks in protest.

Washington governor Inslee said he will put that Rapinoe person as secretary of state if elected president.

Trump tweets out for Nancy Pelosi to provide free airfare to 'the squad' to return home to their shithole countries so they can fix everything, being they are so smart.

Ok, that's it.
Wrap!

07-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #22
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I wish the Dems would drop the whole tax return thing. As others have said, what's it really going to prove given that the IRS has had his returns for years. Makes no sense. The fantasy here is that congress will uncover massive fraud and illegal activities. OK, and the IRS is all "Oh yeah, shoot, we missed that. Glad you guys spotted it." Come on. This is nuts.

I'm 1,000,000,000% certain that his tax returns will show that he's not as wealthy as he has stated in the past. That's it. Big deal. Time to move on.
Appreciate 3
vreihen16777.50
Run Silent12314.50
Delta03117354.50