BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #23
bluecarbon
Private First Class
bluecarbon's Avatar
6
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: montego 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pocomoke, MD

iTrader: (2)

you answered that question for me because I am in Columbus as well I think I will put that extra $400 to better use
__________________
rr catless dps, cp-e midpipe/exhaust, macht schnell drop-in, stett chargepipe with dv's, rr occ, ER Black FMIC, m3 Control arms and sway,
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 03:36 AM   #24
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Harlequin's Avatar
Australia
286
Rep
4,029
Posts

Drives: F32 Coupé
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia BMW Club QLD Member

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Got all the equipment to go in the car...



Half of this is being installed by BMW tomorrow morning... The rest by a local Audio installer as soon as I get the Sub Enclosure from Ben (TPLSM3).

You might notice some Morel Tweeters and Crossovers on the right... I have a set of Dotech Ovation II 6" component Splits that I never got around to putting in my last car. I'm going to let BMW install the Alpine Kit and then swap out the crossovers and Tweeters myself.

If anyone happens to have a spare pair of Morel Dotech Ovation 4" Drivers I'd be very interested.

And I'm never going to buy anything from Scmiedmann again. Absolutely zero after-sales service. 3 emails to them and haven't heard a word back about the damaged tweeter...

- Harlequin
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #25
tyorll
Private First Class
tyorll's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

I'm jealous, but certainly not "before" the install. I'll be green with envy only "after" the install and everything is working as expected.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #26
Bimmer-Bob
!
Bimmer-Bob's Avatar
United_States
502
Rep
3,201
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Got all the equipment to go in the car...

Half of this is being installed by BMW tomorrow morning... The rest by a local Audio installer as soon as I get the Sub Enclosure from Ben (TPLSM3).

You might notice some Morel Tweeters and Crossovers on the right... I have a set of Dotech Ovation II 6" component Splits that I never got around to putting in my last car. I'm going to let BMW install the Alpine Kit and then swap out the crossovers and Tweeters myself.

If anyone happens to have a spare pair of Morel Dotech Ovation 4" Drivers I'd be very interested.

And I'm never going to buy anything from Scmiedmann again. Absolutely zero after-sales service. 3 emails to them and haven't heard a word back about the damaged tweeter...

- Harlequin
WOW!

Looks like your doing much more of a custom system than I. Good luck with everything.

Sorry to hear about your problems with Schmiedmann. I never had to deal with them myself, other than placing the order online and waiting for it to ship. It's too bad they're so terrible about even responding to their customers, much less resolving any issues like this...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #27
Satalite
Colonel
Satalite's Avatar
United_States
106
Rep
2,923
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Got all the equipment to go in the car...



Half of this is being installed by BMW tomorrow morning... The rest by a local Audio installer as soon as I get the Sub Enclosure from Ben (TPLSM3).

You might notice some Morel Tweeters and Crossovers on the right... I have a set of Dotech Ovation II 6" component Splits that I never got around to putting in my last car. I'm going to let BMW install the Alpine Kit and then swap out the crossovers and Tweeters myself.

If anyone happens to have a spare pair of Morel Dotech Ovation 4" Drivers I'd be very interested.

And I'm never going to buy anything from Scmiedmann again. Absolutely zero after-sales service. 3 emails to them and haven't heard a word back about the damaged tweeter...

- Harlequin
I only dream I could upgrade to something like this. Congrats and good luck!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #28
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Harlequin's Avatar
Australia
286
Rep
4,029
Posts

Drives: F32 Coupé
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia BMW Club QLD Member

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
HOLY SNAPPIN' DUCKSHIT!!!

I cannot believe what a difference this upgrade makes... Now I wonder if I actually need the rest of the upgrades (Rear speakers and JL 10" Sub). That's not gonna stop me doing it of course...

It sounds AMAZING. Heaps of bottom end. Midrange is MUCH fuller and the top end is crystal clear.

It also raises the soundstage up to eye level - where it should be.

Oh... and it's WAY louder


VERY VERY VERY Happy. Everyone should do this upgrade.



- Harlequin
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 04:16 AM   #29
Bimmer-Bob
!
Bimmer-Bob's Avatar
United_States
502
Rep
3,201
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
HOLY SNAPPIN' DUCKSHIT!!!

I cannot believe what a difference this upgrade makes... Now I wonder if I actually need the rest of the upgrades (Rear speakers and JL 10" Sub). That's not gonna stop me doing it of course...

It sounds AMAZING. Heaps of bottom end. Midrange is MUCH fuller and the top end is crystal clear.

It also raises the soundstage up to eye level - where it should be.

Oh... and it's WAY louder


VERY VERY VERY Happy. Everyone should do this upgrade.



- Harlequin
Great you finally got it done. Glad you like it. Your comments echo pretty much how I feel, too.

The amp alone provides literally an exponential increase in power. At least by a factor of 10, if not greater.

And just having the tweeters at all raises the soundstage as you said, which is much more pleasant of course. It's just much fuller as well.

I did a fair amount of driving this weekend (6+ hours each way) and got the chance to listen to a lot of different music - the clarity and brilliance of this arrangement is what strikes me the most. And it gets better with increased volume, as I find it takes a bit of power to really bring the subs to life.

Just curious what EQ settings you're using? I'm still toying with it myself, but right now I'm on Bass +8 and Treble +4.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #30
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Harlequin's Avatar
Australia
286
Rep
4,029
Posts

Drives: F32 Coupé
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia BMW Club QLD Member

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Just curious what EQ settings you're using? I'm still toying with it myself, but right now I'm on Bass +8 and Treble +4.
Still letting it run in and only had the chance to drive it for about 1/2 an hour but currently I've got it on Bass +8 and Treble +7.

I like a fair amount of top end...

I expect to turn the Bass down to about 3 or 4 once I put the Sub in the boot. It will depend on how it balances out...

I'll probably turn the tweeters down a bit once they've loosened up too...

- Harlequin
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #31
NYC6
Banned
United_States
48
Rep
2,071
Posts

Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

iTrader: (0)

Great write up OP.

Thinking about upgrading my garbage base system and this might be a good start.
A couple of questions.
Anyone know the wattage the Alpine puts out?
Can the underseat 'subs' be replaced with better ones(either hi-fi subs or aftermarket)?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #32
Bimmer-Bob
!
Bimmer-Bob's Avatar
United_States
502
Rep
3,201
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
According to a brochure I have, the Alpine amp puts out 80W x 4 channels. I haven't found any numbers for total wattage. The model number printed on the amp is "PDA-F200," but Google doesn't turn up any specs for it.

As far as upgrading the subs, some people have used the Earthquake SWS-8 subs because they're apparently easy to fit, but I think they will be underpowered. I know of one person (Imperator on E90Post) who fit the Top HiFi/Logic7 subs and was pleased with the results, but they're over $300 each. The normal HiFi subs are about half that cost and would be an upgrade over what we have in our cars. Imperator had this to say about subwoofer choice:

It won't matter if you're using 2-ohm or 4-ohm SWS-8 drivers-- the Alpine's Class-D circuitry will output the same power (roughly) at either impedance. I'd recommend the use of OEM HiFi or Logic7 subs over the SWS-8s. The Alpine amp doesn't address the current needs (read: preferences) of the Earthquakes and the OEM drivers are much better for midbass response.

I'm only quoting someone else because I'm pretty much an audio noob and can't really get into the hows and whys of all of this.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #33
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Harlequin's Avatar
Australia
286
Rep
4,029
Posts

Drives: F32 Coupé
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia BMW Club QLD Member

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
According to a brochure I have, the Alpine amp puts out 80W x 4 channels. I haven't found any numbers for total wattage. The model number printed on the amp is "PDA-F200," but Google doesn't turn up any specs for it.

As far as upgrading the subs, some people have used the Earthquake SWS-8 subs because they're apparently easy to fit, but I think they will be underpowered. I know of one person (Imperator on E90Post) who fit the Top HiFi/Logic7 subs and was pleased with the results, but they're over $300 each. The normal HiFi subs are about half that cost and would be an upgrade over what we have in our cars. Imperator had this to say about subwoofer choice:

It won't matter if you're using 2-ohm or 4-ohm SWS-8 drivers-- the Alpine's Class-D circuitry will output the same power (roughly) at either impedance. I'd recommend the use of OEM HiFi or Logic7 subs over the SWS-8s. The Alpine amp doesn't address the current needs (read: preferences) of the Earthquakes and the OEM drivers are much better for midbass response.

I'm only quoting someone else because I'm pretty much an audio noob and can't really get into the hows and whys of all of this.

^^^^^What he said

- Harlequin
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #34
mrow
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delaware

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jseries1 View Post
Just called the dealer, told me 4 hrs labor to install this kit......so it would be about $400!! That's INSANE!!!!
You're lucky, my dealer quoted me 8 hours at $100 an hour for a total of $800 fucking dollars. I could barely contain myself as she was telling me this. The kit itself costs half that. I've directed over $250,000 dollars of sales to this place, $85,000 last month alone. I couldn't believe they would try to screw me like this. Debating whether to shop around quotes from other dealers, car audio installation shops or just save my money and forget about it...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #35
mojo_78613
Private First Class
mojo_78613's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cedar Park, TX

iTrader: (0)

You guys are lucky ... My local dealership wanted to charge me over $900 for installation and coding, to be exact "$924 off the door, may be a little less" I even provided them with the installation steps since they claimed they have not heard about the kit. The instructions clearly stated about 3 to 4 hours total time including coding; my built date is 10/09.... I'm shopping around at the moment to get this sorted out... Not sure if writing BMW CCA's Ombudsman for their advice may do anything... Thoughts?

Cheers!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
You're lucky, my dealer quoted me 8 hours at $100 an hour for a total of $800 fucking dollars. I could barely contain myself as she was telling me this. The kit itself costs half that. I've directed over $250,000 dollars of sales to this place, $85,000 last month alone. I couldn't believe they would try to screw me like this. Debating whether to shop around quotes from other dealers, car audio installation shops or just save my money and forget about it...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #36
mojo_78613
Private First Class
mojo_78613's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cedar Park, TX

iTrader: (0)

**** Update****

Got my upgrade kit installed at the dealer yesterday... Went back and forth with them and finally I paid around $435, thanks to this board

My CCA membership came really handy with discount on labor...

The system is really great and sounds much better than my previous standard system....

I really like to keep using my local dealership and they delivered... Cheers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_78613 View Post
You guys are lucky ... My local dealership wanted to charge me over $900 for installation and coding, to be exact "$924 off the door, may be a little less" I even provided them with the installation steps since they claimed they have not heard about the kit. The instructions clearly stated about 3 to 4 hours total time including coding; my built date is 10/09.... I'm shopping around at the moment to get this sorted out... Not sure if writing BMW CCA's Ombudsman for their advice may do anything... Thoughts?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #37
outsider
The Show Goes On
United_States
5
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (5)

I am really interested in this as an OEM+ solution to getting better audio out of the car w/o having to go all out... I like the idea of a very clean solution.

My major problem is my local dealers. I am sure they will want some crazy amount to get this installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #38
ddmond
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 120i Sport M package
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland,Oregon

iTrader: (0)

where can i get this custom boxes ?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #39
B50
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Guildford

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Great info, not happy with the installed stereo system, subwoofers and tweeters weak.
Had a Becker Cascade Pro and Bose in previous car ( Audi A3) and sounded amazing ; dont want to change the head unit which is the single cd dab but NEED an upgrade. Yoyr info was very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #40
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
5
Rep
196
Posts

Drives: 118d performance
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: vestfold

iTrader: (0)

Whay wont the retrofit alpine work when i got profesinal sterio in my e87?does sombody know??
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #41
PerthBMW
Lieutenant
PerthBMW's Avatar
Australia
71
Rep
532
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth Western Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj john View Post
Whay wont the retrofit alpine work when i got profesinal sterio in my e87?does sombody know??
Ummmmm....well....errrr....because you can't spell.....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #42
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
5
Rep
196
Posts

Drives: 118d performance
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: vestfold

iTrader: (0)

So nowbody knows...?hmm..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #43
crisart
TEXAS TURBOS 001
crisart's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: mcallen tx

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135I  [1.00]
just ordered mine should have this week end ill post results!
__________________
12.4 @110mph BMW 2011 135i n55
12.0 @116mph BMW 2008 135i n54
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #44
crisart
TEXAS TURBOS 001
crisart's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: mcallen tx

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135I  [1.00]
just found out today its come from AG ! the sucks ! 10 to 14 days from 7/11/11
__________________
12.4 @110mph BMW 2011 135i n55
12.0 @116mph BMW 2008 135i n54
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST