BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
str8shot
Lieutenant
str8shot's Avatar
74
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisco

iTrader: (1)

Cool Double din solution finally available?!

Just saw these crop up on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CT23BM05-BMW...item51a8b2c006



Installed:





Anyone order and install one of these yet? Pricey at $170 shipped, but looks like a viable solution...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
adevangel84
Second Lieutenant
adevangel84's Avatar
15
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: 2006 E46 M3 (RIP)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Orleans

iTrader: (2)

Looks good... I have a Kentwood double din sitting around and looking for a kit for the e82.. just worried about relocating the factory stereo..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Walter K
Private First Class
Walter K's Avatar
23
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 128i (white)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (1)

I would prefer to have the AV unit on top of the temp controls. I just shot an email out to this spot called Street Sound Plus in Cali that did double din work on a 135i to see if their work was a custom job or if a kit was used. It was a Kenwood setup they used. The local shop I spoke to said they would relocate the factory radio in the trunk. The single din options do not appeal to me at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
adevangel84
Second Lieutenant
adevangel84's Avatar
15
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: 2006 E46 M3 (RIP)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Orleans

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter K View Post
I would prefer to have the AV unit on top of the temp controls. I just shot an email out to this spot called Street Sound Plus in Cali that did double din work on a 135i to see if their work was a custom job or if a kit was used. It was a Kenwood setup they used. The local shop I spoke to said they would relocate the factory radio in the trunk. The single din options do not appeal to me at all.
Amazon has one by Metra with the AV unit on top, here is the link... http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-9306B...a+dash+kit+bmw

It says for the the 3 series but according to most audio places online it will fit the 1 series. Has anyone confirmed this?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Walter K
Private First Class
Walter K's Avatar
23
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 128i (white)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (1)

Here are my findings from the shop out in Cali...

"This install required quiet a bit of modification to the car as well as the dash kit.
First, we used a dash kit that was for a BMW 3 series, along with the seat heater re-locator by Metra.
A part of the OEM A/C control bezel which was cut and the part of the Metra 3 series kit,
was cut and had to be fused together. Of course after, came the sanding, primer, and paint.
Where the radio mounts and a section of the A/C vent plastic had to be cut away to make room for the radio.
It's wasn't hard but very time consuming.....
I don't know where you're in the east coast, but I'm sure if you look around, you should be able
to find a shop that's able to install a double din radio in you BMW.
One thing to look for is a shop that has prior experience doing dash modification.

Hopefully, this was helpful....

Thanks,

Tom
Street Sound Plus
North Hills, CA"

It sounds like the Metra kit is primarily for the 3 series but not quite the plug and play for the 1er. So it's possible but a matter of how desperate are you. You can pay more for a custom job or sit tight till a 100% certified 1 series kit comes out
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Sarge135
Semper FI!
Sarge135's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
347
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to Sarge135
Very nice dash kit!!
__________________

2009 SGM 135i M-Sport
Ark l Blackline l iCarbon l AFE l Hawk l VMR l ST Coilover l Parrot Asteroid l JL Audio l Janus-Design l Reiger l BMW Performance l COBB l Evolution Raceworks l TIAL l VRSF
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
str8shot
Lieutenant
str8shot's Avatar
74
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisco

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevangel84 View Post
Amazon has one by Metra with the AV unit on top, here is the link... http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-9306B...a+dash+kit+bmw

It says for the the 3 series but according to most audio places online it will fit the 1 series. Has anyone confirmed this?
It does not fit the 1 series, and from pictures I've seen looks like shit in the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
adevangel84
Second Lieutenant
adevangel84's Avatar
15
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: 2006 E46 M3 (RIP)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Orleans

iTrader: (2)

Back to the drawing board... Has anyone put a double din in the one series??
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
str8shot
Lieutenant
str8shot's Avatar
74
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisco

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevangel84 View Post
Back to the drawing board... Has anyone put a double din in the one series??
The metra kit does not fit the one - I posted an ebay link to a totally different kit, which looks like it DOES fit the one.

So on that note...who's gonna be the first one to try it??
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
adevangel84
Second Lieutenant
adevangel84's Avatar
15
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: 2006 E46 M3 (RIP)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Orleans

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
The metra kit does not fit the one - I posted an ebay link to a totally different kit, which looks like it DOES fit the one.

So on that note...who's gonna be the first one to try it??
I found this recent topic about these on babybmw... I am waiting to see the outcome of these before I buy... Here is the link.
http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44851
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
BMW PoLo
New Member
BMW PoLo's Avatar
Mexico
1
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: E82 125i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: México

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to BMW PoLo
I have one of those...

Here is the post (sorry but it is in spanish)

http://bmwclub.org.mx/forums/t/8086.aspx

Rgds.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
Zeros and ones's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
I personally am a big fan of the Janus-design double dins.

I put one in my e39 5 series and the quality on the build is OE. They are pricey but worth every penny. I know if I ever do anything in my 1 sereis in type of double din solution, I am going straight to them.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Walter K
Private First Class
Walter K's Avatar
23
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 128i (white)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (1)

I'm just gonna sit tight until a more solid/legit product and distributor comes available to the US. There seems to be a bit of uncertainty and some bootleg looking web sites.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #14
Sarge135
Semper FI!
Sarge135's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
347
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to Sarge135
For those of you that are thinking about the Janus-design one,

They dont answer emails, they dont update the order status, and its almost impossible to get any information on your order. Its been 3 weeks since I purchased the kits, and nothing. Be forewarned.
__________________

2009 SGM 135i M-Sport
Ark l Blackline l iCarbon l AFE l Hawk l VMR l ST Coilover l Parrot Asteroid l JL Audio l Janus-Design l Reiger l BMW Performance l COBB l Evolution Raceworks l TIAL l VRSF
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #15
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
Zeros and ones's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge135 View Post
For those of you that are thinking about the Janus-design one,

They dont answer emails, they dont update the order status, and its almost impossible to get any information on your order. Its been 3 weeks since I purchased the kits, and nothing. Be forewarned.
I had to wait about 2 months for mine. Be patient. The Janus-design one is legit. I really do have one in my e39 and as I said I will not hesitate to buy from them again.

I have order plenty of parts directly from Germany, since I have had a e39 for such a long time and one thing you should expect is for a slow delivery.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #16
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
Zeros and ones's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter K View Post
Here are my findings from the shop out in Cali...

"This install required quiet a bit of modification to the car as well as the dash kit.
First, we used a dash kit that was for a BMW 3 series, along with the seat heater re-locator by Metra.
A part of the OEM A/C control bezel which was cut and the part of the Metra 3 series kit,
was cut and had to be fused together. Of course after, came the sanding, primer, and paint.
Where the radio mounts and a section of the A/C vent plastic had to be cut away to make room for the radio.
It's wasn't hard but very time consuming.....
I don't know where you're in the east coast, but I'm sure if you look around, you should be able
to find a shop that's able to install a double din radio in you BMW.
One thing to look for is a shop that has prior experience doing dash modification.

Hopefully, this was helpful....

Thanks,

Tom
Street Sound Plus
North Hills, CA"

It sounds like the Metra kit is primarily for the 3 series but not quite the plug and play for the 1er. So it's possible but a matter of how desperate are you. You can pay more for a custom job or sit tight till a 100% certified 1 series kit comes out
I think you should get a second opinion. I see you are from Virginia but a audio shop that comes highly recommended by BMW enthusiast, including myself, is called "The Audio Pros".

I would say to give them a call and see what they say.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
Walter K
Private First Class
Walter K's Avatar
23
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 128i (white)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (1)

Not sure how to copy threads from the App but Sarge135 just posted a Janus-design project which has a double din head unit. So it appears that we have a solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Sarge135
Semper FI!
Sarge135's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
347
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to Sarge135
FYI folks, the reason the A/C controls are on top is to minimize the cutting of the dashboard. If you want the unit sitting up top, then your going to have to get more work in.
__________________

2009 SGM 135i M-Sport
Ark l Blackline l iCarbon l AFE l Hawk l VMR l ST Coilover l Parrot Asteroid l JL Audio l Janus-Design l Reiger l BMW Performance l COBB l Evolution Raceworks l TIAL l VRSF
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
D.I.P.
Private First Class
D.I.P.'s Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: 11' 335i xDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Ok so the display on my factory HU is starting to go and I want to go with a double din unit with GPS satellite radio and would like to keep the steering wheel controls. What connectors etc will I need? I'm thinking of picking up this install kit from eBay to see exactly how much work it will take to make it fit... If there is a DIY thread already listing everything you need to do this somewhere please point me in that direction thanks
__________________
11 335i X-Drive Sedan 6AT ///M Sport - PPK - xHP Flash - MHD Stage 2+ - VRSF 3.5" DP - VRSF CP - VRSF 5" FMIC - AA GREEN FILTER
09 135i Coupe 6sp ///M Sport - SOLD
- SSK - RL DP's - JB4 - BMS DCI
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 02:52 AM   #20
blackburn-hero
Private
4
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: bmw 135i M
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (1)

Hi,
Sorry for the old topic, but I want to install a double din radio in my 135i 2008.
I found a complet dashkit with universal radio wire. I want to know if it a good kit to buy it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo...1c0096&vxp=mtr

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #21
blackburn-hero
Private
4
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: bmw 135i M
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (1)

any can help me?? ^^^
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #22
str8shot
Lieutenant
str8shot's Avatar
74
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisco

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn-hero View Post
any can help me?? ^^^
That's the same one I posted originally, but I don't know if anyone has tried it.
__________________
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST