BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #45
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
c_ozanich's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
565
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aiken SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee View Post
I'm planning on doing this on my n54 shortly. I'm only going to wrap the one pipe so that it emulates the BMW PE and hopefully doesn't drone.

One of my friends should have some spare exhaust wrap after this weekend, so hopefully I can get it done next week. How much did you all end up using? It doesn't look like it takes more than a couple feet.
I only wrapped the one pipe with the larger holes, used roughly 24 inch of wrap.

There's not a huge drone but I do get a little. (I have berk Technology mids and AR catless DP) I have been driving 40 minutes to work mon-fri and it hasn't got to the point of being annoying or anything
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #46
805beemer
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82135i View Post
Nice!! Op's set up drones around 1900(I think thats what he said), does yours drone?
No drone on my setup. Stock dp's , n55 mids, res delete, pe diy mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #47
805beemer
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee View Post
I'm planning on doing this on my n54 shortly. I'm only going to wrap the one pipe so that it emulates the BMW PE and hopefully doesn't drone.

One of my friends should have some spare exhaust wrap after this weekend, so hopefully I can get it done next week. How much did you all end up using? It doesn't look like it takes more than a couple feet.
I probably used about about two feet as well. I would wrap it as many times as you can and still get the worm clamps on.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #48
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
c_ozanich's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
565
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aiken SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
I probably used about about two feet as well. I would wrap it as many times as you can and still get the worm clamps on.
that was my thought process too. just be careful not to get too fat in the pipe diameter--I could see the clamp rattling on the muffler canister/body if its touching when you weld things back up
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 03:08 AM   #49
DragonNinja21
Registered
DragonNinja21's Avatar
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 10' 135i BSM
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (0)

In the process of doing this mod. The car is mufflerless and man its one hell of a beast without it. Just a heads up for anyone driving it without the muffler doing the mod, get something to secure the open end at the flange or else it will bang on to the brace. Not a pretty sounds and/or feeling.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #50
Stvee
Private First Class
11
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

I'm going to be doing this tonight. It looks like you can get away with just cutting the one strip out from the top instead of cutting the whole top half off. Any reason why this wouldn't work?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #51
e36addict
Captain
United_States
89
Rep
902
Posts

Drives: 2013 X1 35iX
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tim @ BMW of Dallas

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee View Post
I'm going to be doing this tonight. It looks like you can get away with just cutting the one strip out from the top instead of cutting the whole top half off. Any reason why this wouldn't work?
Should work just fine. Only reason I cut the whole thing apart was to see how it was all configured in there..
__________________
'13 X1 35iX, '97 M3/4/5, '98 Z3 2.8 Roadster, '99 Z3 2.8 Coupe , '96 Z3 1.9 DASC, '13 Smart Fortwo
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #52
Stvee
Private First Class
11
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

Ok I got my muffler put back on yesterday evening. I only wrapped one pipe and I'm running the "golf-tee" mod via JB4 on an otherwise completely stock exhaust setup.

It doesn't really make that big of a difference in sound. The tone is a little more aggressive and it is slightly louder, but it's not nearly as loud as I had hoped.

If you're only doing this for exhaust mods, I would definitely wrap both pipes.

I will say that adding downpipes to this setup would probably sound awesome and that may be what I'm doing in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #53
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
c_ozanich's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
565
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aiken SC

iTrader: (0)

Here's my Dyno Run--mods in signature. Custom wrapped muffler got a big thumbs up from everyone this weekend

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #54
jose325i
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Just did this mod, covered both pipes. My car sounds almost stock, nothing like any of the videos above. I cut from the top so the welds are not visible when installed. I had a lot of trouble putting the clamp on the bottom pipe with the big holes, so instead I put a really big clamp spanning both pipes. Perhaps that affected it, or maybe I did not wrap them enough times. If the sound doesn't change after downpipes and maybe resonator delete, I'll just get a berk street. Oh well, I gave it a shot haha.
__________________
OEM ZCP wheels (4 fronts). BMW Performance Grills. Blackline Taillights. JB4. DCI. Downpipes. GP Thunder 5000K. LED turn signal and brake bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #55
woner
Second Lieutenant
woner's Avatar
10
Rep
233
Posts

Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose325i View Post
Just did this mod, covered both pipes. My car sounds almost stock, nothing like any of the videos above. I cut from the top so the welds are not visible when installed. I had a lot of trouble putting the clamp on the bottom pipe with the big holes, so instead I put a really big clamp spanning both pipes. Perhaps that affected it, or maybe I did not wrap them enough times. If the sound doesn't change after downpipes and maybe resonator delete, I'll just get a berk street. Oh well, I gave it a shot haha.
Have you done the golf-tee mod? If not, that might help bring out the benefits of this mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #56
Kapeesh
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: ATL Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Did this mod over the weekend where we opened and wrapped the internals and rigged the flap open. Here are some pic videos of the sound on the N55

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJlEZySOTcE


www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqZsNxb8UNE
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #57
dtkw969
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: bmw 135
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: singapore

iTrader: (0)

Hi guys, if you were to cut just a small slot just to access the two pipes, do you cut from the top or bottom of the muffler? If you cut from the top, do you need to weld the cut-off portion or its OK just to leave that open - any downsides to that?

Also, can you use stainless steel or copper tape instead of wire mesh and clamps? figure that would be easier!

thanks for the inputs!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #58
highbrowed
Boost Addict
highbrowed's Avatar
126
Rep
1,056
Posts

Drives: FBO N54 135i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (4)

nice work. this is great.
__________________
FBO 2009 Space Grey 135i 6MT M-Sport Coupe

e82shop.com
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #59
Kkuba
Private
10
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: N54 135i
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: VIC, Australia

iTrader: (0)

For those interested, I did a quick write up in my regional forum. Some photos included.

I did it by welding instead of wraping the pipes to seal them.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057491
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #60
e36addict
Captain
United_States
89
Rep
902
Posts

Drives: 2013 X1 35iX
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tim @ BMW of Dallas

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkuba View Post
For those interested, I did a quick write up in my regional forum. Some photos included.

I did it by welding instead of wraping the pipes to seal them.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057491
Nicely done. Have you considered downpipes? I figure with that *or* a resonator delete, it might be exactly the sound you want. I don't know about both, because mine with DP and res delete, along with this mod is extremely loud.
__________________
'13 X1 35iX, '97 M3/4/5, '98 Z3 2.8 Roadster, '99 Z3 2.8 Coupe , '96 Z3 1.9 DASC, '13 Smart Fortwo
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 04:12 AM   #61
evolution42
Second Lieutenant
evolution42's Avatar
Australia
21
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: BMW 130i M-Sport (E87)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Has anyone just taken the glass out of the side chambers without modifying the pipes in the middle?

Interested to know the differences in volume and tone of the following three options:
1. Remove glass only
2. Wrap perforated pipe(s)
3. Both
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #62
RVAN
Private
9
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Okay guys did this mod today as well. Muffler shop preferred to weld as they thought the clamps might not stand up to the heat.

I still have the stock n55 downpipe but this sounds absolutely amazing. Wife couldn't tell any difference when just cruising at 65. Under load though at 3-6k tpms sounds glorious. The videos are exactly how it sounds to me inside with stock intake and the windows down.

I can't see spending $800-1000 on a cat back that will sound no better but will probably drone.

If you think it's too loud you can wrap the flapper pipe with the three holes. This will magnify the effect of the flapper since that pipe will be a straight pipe now instead of a less muffled pipe like now.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #63
mike082802
Captain
39
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: 2010 135
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAN View Post
Okay guys did this mod today as well. Muffler shop preferred to weld as they thought the clamps might not stand up to the heat.

I still have the stock n55 downpipe but this sounds absolutely amazing. Wife couldn't tell any difference when just cruising at 65. Under load though at 3-6k tpms sounds glorious. The videos are exactly how it sounds to me inside with stock intake and the windows down.

I can't see spending $800-1000 on a cat back that will sound no better but will probably drone.

If you think it's too loud you can wrap the flapper pipe with the three holes. This will magnify the effect of the flapper since that pipe will be a straight pipe now instead of a less muffled pipe like now.
did you wrap both pipes or just one?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #64
RVAN
Private
9
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
did you wrap both pipes or just one?
I had both pipes welded, which is the same as wrapping them.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #65
Classic_Blunders
Private First Class
Classic_Blunders's Avatar
United_States
113
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: 135i N55 BSM
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Raleigh NC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAN View Post
Okay guys did this mod today as well. Muffler shop preferred to weld as they thought the clamps might not stand up to the heat.

I still have the stock n55 downpipe but this sounds absolutely amazing. Wife couldn't tell any difference when just cruising at 65. Under load though at 3-6k tpms sounds glorious. The videos are exactly how it sounds to me inside with stock intake and the windows down.

I can't see spending $800-1000 on a cat back that will sound no better but will probably drone.

If you think it's too loud you can wrap the flapper pipe with the three holes. This will magnify the effect of the flapper since that pipe will be a straight pipe now instead of a less muffled pipe like now.

this diy has been high on my list of things to try but been soooo damn busy. Post a vid! What was cost of work at shop?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #66
RVAN
Private
9
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

The videos posted are extremely accurate. No drone at steady steady state I would guess due to the stock resonator. Under load though, it sound glorious. I still have the stock dp so no turbo whistle, but other than that the videos posted.

This video is an external mic, but it's what my car sounds like.


I paid just under $100, but if you have access to a welder you could do this for dirt cheap.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST