BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #133
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjjj View Post
To add to what people have stated so far. I experienced this: the first thing out of the sales person's mouth before even self introduction: "are you here to compare prices with another dealership?"

On the same visit, I almost got run over by a car driven by a sales person who just started to back out a car in the showroom without checking the surrounding...

I expect more from luxury car sales than what I have experienced and seen at BMW sales. If I am asked what the one thing that will make me not buy BMW ever again is, it would be BMW sales.

Greatest question ever, "what can we do to get your into a car today?"

Well give me the car for free
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #134
football76
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

"We don't sell below MSRP around here." - Irvine BMW

After 15 mins of negotiating with the finance manager directly, showing comparable deals of nearby dealers and offering to take my business elsewhere, we settled on 11% off MSRP (including nov cash).
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #135
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

"Cannot replicate issue."
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #136
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

im sure this has been said numerous times before....

"im honestly losing money on this deal"
      12-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #137
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
They work on commission. If they don't sell enough cars they get fired. If they waste their time trying to sell a car to someone who can't afford a car they could miss out on a sale. My nephew says guys in their early 20s come in all day long wanting to test drive AMG cars or G class. He says he laughs at them. Also said he has learned that if someone is making a big deal about themselves they can't afford the car. If he didn't make assumptions he could spend hours with someone and then they get declined for financing.
Quote:
You tell someone to go fuck themselves and then you come back with a new BMW to taunt them. I am calling BS. Either that or you are a psychopath.
thats actually happened to me before, and yes I did go back to taunt them. I went to an Infiniti dealership and told them i wanted a specific car for a specific price. the dealer flat out told me it was impossible and he was losing money on it and told me some other ridiculously high number was his "lowest". when i told him no, he told me "sorry pal, if you cant afford Infiniti maybe you should check out our nissan dealership down the block". I told him to not be a pompous asshole, showed him the keys to my jag and walked out. Went to a dealership in long island and guess what.....got an even more loaded car for the price i wanted.

the next day the original dealer called me to ask if i was still interested. i told him i had found a car already, for the price i wanted from a dealer who was nothing but pleasant to work with and that I had nothing more to say to him. After i hung up, he started calling me back, telling me to come back, he will "lose money on the car", he'll give it to me for the same price. I said nope, picked up my car, drove to him and showed him. spoke to his manager and told him the story, i think he got fired.
      12-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #138
Drtsk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80C,GT4,C4GTS,CT4-BW,MK8

My wife and I went to BMW of Rockville to see a m4 last fall. They didn't have one in the showroom. I asked one of the SA if they had one and he said yes, in the back. To make the long story short, he would not show me the car unless I promised him I would buy it. I told him I could not since I have never seen one before and left the dealership. I drove to another dealership from there and bought AY m4.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #139
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchm3ifyoucann View Post
...When they ask you "how can I get you into your dream car today?" I respond with give it to me for free...
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #140
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

when they don't break down the lease structure... they know once you pick it apart you can negotiate better.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 12:12 AM   #141
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Using harsh compound to take out a bird dropping, drilling holes in the bumper, and dropping the keys to your brand new car, to name a few.
      12-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #142
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Went to a dealership and one of the first things the guy said was, "Are you planning to walk out of the dealership today if I have a car on the lot?"

We replied: "We are in the beginning stages of looking."

Then the salesman blew us off.

Walked next door to a different car company (Still McKenna) and that sales agent was super nice and helped us look for the car from the other car company as well as test drive his cars, haha.

Ended up buying a car later that day from a salesman who never once judged us from the second we got there! He was super nice given the fact that we were buying the cheapest and most base model car on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #143
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchm3ifyoucann View Post
Greatest question ever, "what can we do to get your into a car today?"

Well give me the car for free
A corollary of this:

Former salesman: "Mr. K, how much do you want to pay for this amazing car?"

Me: "I don't want to pay anything for it but I'm sure Mr. XXX( Dealership owner) and BMW will frown on any deals of that type."
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #144
erocck
LEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M sport

I've had 3 BMW's now and the first I bought was a e92 335 sport package....I had a friend that worked at the dealer so I didn't get ignored but we were both 22 at the time. My friend has moved on since then but they treat me great every time I go in. I just got a 535 m sport and I called a SA on the phone told him what I was looking for and how much I wanted to spend. He asked what color and I told him 3 options. He called me back a week later and told me they found a car. Went in that week looked it over signed the paperwork and drove away.
      12-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #145
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Went to BMW of bayside service department and they refused to sell me a gallon of coolant because i didnt have my drivers license at the moment of purchase with my debit card...i told them i have school ids and work ids with my name they said they need my drivers license only to put my info in their system because im a first time customer.. I know some places require id for credit card purchases but cmon its a debit card and most places accept regular nom government ids.. A waste of an hour and a half commute both ways
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #146
ohohoh123456
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

So this is by far the worst I've experienced in my very limited new car buying experience. Went in to the dealer (Fields BMW), test drove the car and set down on talking about the price. I wanted custom built and the salesman could only offer 1000 off MSRP. I said "I'm sure you can do better than that". Guess what, the salesman, who seems to be in the 50s or 60s, told me "you are not expecting to buy a steak with burger money right?"
      12-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #147
ohohoh123456
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychevy69 View Post
I never get any attention at dealers because I'm 21 and usually in gym clothes when I stop by. I always park somewhere they can't see what I pull up in and its amazing how many people just ignore me or tell me they're busy when I'm looking at higher end cars(nothing crazy, used s4 and m3). Then they try to flag me down when they see me unlock my 335 to leave.
oh I want to do this too and just for fun! These sales people are just gold diggers.
      12-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #148
Rain49king
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I feel a dealership should treat all customers with respect and provide great customer service. However some of these comments on here are crazy I'm not gonna quote anyone because I don't care to start any wars. I take issue with any complaints about price, it is the manufacturer who sets the price and it is the market on the car that dictates the incentives. It is common knowledge if you pay MSRP for a car the dealer makes around 8% so if you purchase a $50k vehicle the dealer makes $4,000.00. Call me crazy but I am ok with this, now I do my research before buying so I know the rebates and APR before I visit any dealership and if I find any deception on the dealership's part I walk out no questions asked. If I am treated right and they don't get greedy I have know problem paying MSRP for a vehicle if it meets my needs/expectations. I read comments on here that people beat the dealer down to invoice and think they are crooks because they have a $599.00 dealer fee? Some of you pay more profit on your exhaust system than the car! In my opinion (which means nothing) if it means that much to you to beat a dealer down to nothing you either A) can't afford the car or B) you are just an asshole.
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #149
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
I was pretty pissed off when I reversed my car into a wall.

It had been into the dealership to have a faulty head unit replaced under warranty. For some reason the reverse parking sensors had been disconnected. Yes, I should have seen the wall, but when you're used to the beeps warning you something is coming up you tend to get reliant on them.

Also, I was in a rush at the time as I was very late getting to a funeral because the battery in my TomTom ran out when I arrived in a city I'd never been to before due to the dealership also disconnecting the charging ports that the TomTom was connected to.

CH.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #150
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain49king View Post
I feel a dealership should treat all customers with respect and provide great customer service. However some of these comments on here are crazy I'm not gonna quote anyone because I don't care to start any wars. I take issue with any complaints about price, it is the manufacturer who sets the price and it is the market on the car that dictates the incentives. It is common knowledge if you pay MSRP for a car the dealer makes around 8% so if you purchase a $50k vehicle the dealer makes $4,000.00. Call me crazy but I am ok with this, now I do my research before buying so I know the rebates and APR before I visit any dealership and if I find any deception on the dealership's part I walk out no questions asked. If I am treated right and they don't get greedy I have know problem paying MSRP for a vehicle if it meets my needs/expectations. I read comments on here that people beat the dealer down to invoice and think they are crooks because they have a $599.00 dealer fee? Some of you pay more profit on your exhaust system than the car! In my opinion (which means nothing) if it means that much to you to beat a dealer down to nothing you either A) can't afford the car or B) you are just an asshole.
I completely understand what you are saying. Businesses need to make money in order to keep the lights on and employ people. That is not the argument here especially when it comes to pricing. When it comes to pricing what irritates a majority of buyers is the fact there is a lot of unethical practices that occur. For instance: advertising deals that simply don't exist, switch & bait, then there is the constant back and forth from sales to finance manager, dealing with finance managers who try to up-sell you on insurance / services you don't need, hidden fees, and etc.

The main reason for this thread is for dealers or anyone in the sales side of the business to understand what needs to be done properly in order to not only sell but also build a long lasting relationship with their customers. So many dealers fail to treat potential customers like decent human beings and with respect.

Everyone has different price points and everyone would like to get a deal on a vehicle they are purchasing. $50k is a great deal of money for a car, so I have no negative feelings toward someone who tries to negotiate the best deal they can (to a certain extent). My personal opinion on the dealer fee is that it is ridiculous and absurd that an individual has to pay $400 to sometimes even $1,200 for paperwork to be filled out.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:46 AM   #151
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict
Quote:
They work on commission. If they don't sell enough cars they get fired. If they waste their time trying to sell a car to someone who can't afford a car they could miss out on a sale. My nephew says guys in their early 20s come in all day long wanting to test drive AMG cars or G class. He says he laughs at them. Also said he has learned that if someone is making a big deal about themselves they can't afford the car. If he didn't make assumptions he could spend hours with someone and then they get declined for financing.
Quote:
You tell someone to go fuck themselves and then you come back with a new BMW to taunt them. I am calling BS. Either that or you are a psychopath.
thats actually happened to me before, and yes I did go back to taunt them. I went to an Infiniti dealership and told them i wanted a specific car for a specific price. the dealer flat out told me it was impossible and he was losing money on it and told me some other ridiculously high number was his "lowest". when i told him no, he told me "sorry pal, if you cant afford Infiniti maybe you should check out our nissan dealership down the block". I told him to not be a pompous asshole, showed him the keys to my jag and walked out. Went to a dealership in long island and guess what.....got an even more loaded car for the price i wanted.

the next day the original dealer called me to ask if i was still interested. i told him i had found a car already, for the price i wanted from a dealer who was nothing but pleasant to work with and that I had nothing more to say to him. After i hung up, he started calling me back, telling me to come back, he will "lose money on the car", he'll give it to me for the same price. I said nope, picked up my car, drove to him and showed him. spoke to his manager and told him the story, i think he got fired.
Exactly, not sure how the asshole thought I was a psychopath for doing it. I wanted them to know they screwed up when treating me that way.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:48 AM   #152
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic
Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
I usually go in sweats and flip flops. Had one sales manager actually tell me not everyone can afford a BMW. That I should look at a Ford instead. I told him to go fuck himself since I was already approved by BMW finance. I went to a different BMW dealership bought a BMW, drove it back to the first dealership to rub it in they lost my business as well as a few others.
Could give 2 shits of your opinion dude.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:07 AM   #153
Nicholas Bentley
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI N55

+1 for pretty much everything you all have experienced. I'm not sure I can come up with anything unique, but here's my try. BMW charging $300-$500 for a navigation map update when it costs them nothing and when you can use Google Maps for free and it's more accurate. Here's another. BMW charging over $500 for a 20HP performance upgrade that costs them nothing. You get the picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #154
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain49king View Post
to think only 8% of profit is built in you are crazy. its called hold back where bmw cuts them a check for each car sold.

i dont like lying and if you dont do your home work the dealership will crush you. i like the tesla approach to sales and cut out the middleman but you saw all the dealerships cry because their monopoly would be in jeopardy.

i like the game playing like where i was trading in my car where we agreed on 15k, 6 weeks after the car came in i told my wife be prepared to walk out and like i knew they would..."ohh we can only offer you 14k, the used car market has changed..blah blah" I said forget it and keep the M3 i already called discover and they said they would refund me my 1k deposit. we stood up and they came back to the table 14800 which was fair given i used the car for 6 more weeks. but its those types of nonsense that people hate the car buying experience and if my wife did the deal on her on should would have just signed the deal.

Always know what you want to pay
leave emotions aside, never get attached
always be prepared to walk away
Break down each item separately (trade,new car, financing)