BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Which head unit should I get?

Figured I’d ask here as many of you guys are the tip of the spear as far as electronics, music streaming sources. I’m getting a new H.U. for my Corvette. The current one is an older Kenwood 8019 and it’s served well but time to upgrade. It is connected to my my iPod and plays CDs and has Bluetooth but I’m looking for more in these changing times and time for me to join the streaming world.

We have Sirius in our other two cars and on my phone so I’d like a head unit to allows streaming from Sirius. I don’t think I have to pay for another car if I stream off my phone, is that correct? How is reception streaming opposed to direct from satellite?

I’d also like the options to use Pandora and Spotify although I have no idea how that stuff works and if one needs to pay for it. Which is better if I choose one? I would also use Waze for Nav as I just learned how to do that. Doing a back up camera at the same time.

Think I’m going to stick with Kenwood for the new one. Any tips and advise welcomed on getting this noob up to speed is welcomed.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 11-05-2019 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I installed a Kenwood touchscreen in a previous vehicle, it was Apple CarPlay compatible with bluetooth. Nice unit, and it didn't break the bank. It was double DIN chassis, and bolted right in to the Toyota 4Runner where I installed it. Two trim pieces made the installation look nice.

Wiring takes patience. There was an installation kit required with mine, and it meant crimping a bunch of wires together, to connect a adapter harness to the head unit. The adapter harness created a plug and play installation with the vehicle harness.

Crutchfield's website steps you through the choices. Pretty much choose your features, your price range and pick one.
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
eluded2959.00
      11-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
I installed a Kenwood touchscreen in a previous vehicle, it was Apple CarPlay compatible with bluetooth. Nice unit, and it didn't break the bank. It was double DIN chassis, and bolted right in to the Toyota 4Runner where I installed it. Two trim pieces made the installation look nice.

Wiring takes patience. There was an installation kit required with mine, and it meant crimping a bunch of wires together, to connect a adapter harness to the head unit. The adapter harness created a plug and play installation with the vehicle harness.

Crutchfield's website steps you through the choices. Pretty much choose your features, your price range and pick one.
Thanks, I got one in hand already ordered from crutchfield delivered two days ago. DD Kenwood excellon Ddx6906s it has the features you have and exactly what I was looking for, that and a back up camera is going in this week. Sirius will be streamed and the many other things can be added also. IOS 13 adds nice features. Install will be easy as the unit coming out is very similar in install dimensions and will slide right in, says the crutchfield folks. Can’t wait
https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/ddx6906s/
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 11-10-2019 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
Rmtt8206.00
      11-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
That one will get the job done. Crutchfield does a great job with product display and description, and the installation is pretty trouble free, assuming you are capable and willing to crimp the adapter harness. It's not rocket science, just takes tracing wires and some patience.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00