BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #23
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Thanks for threads Dack, will watch as time allows (when my daughter quits bugging me).

Have ordered a vac tester and will check them out,

ianc
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #24
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

No boost again twice this week:
Drove 600 miles at highway speeds over 2 days last weekend. Ran like a charm. Got home about 5pm. Garaged.

8pm, needed to take a trip to the hospital. Door locks acting up, stumble at startup, no boost. 15 minute drive.
Post hospital, door locks still weird (driver won't unlock, mostly), but boost was back.
Door lock has gotten progressively better throughout the week, but Tuesday afternoon I had to open passenger door and hit the dash button to unlock driver.

This morning, stumble at startup. Cold idle didn't last long, and as it came down it overshot the target and nearly stalled. No boost.

Throughout, it hasn't thrown a code, flashed a light, or advised me to be concerned.

Not overly concerned about door lock at this point - just noticed that the issue somewhat coincides.

My BMW-Only indy who's worked on Bimmers for 20 years and has a 435i has no idea what's going on, but said I might want to replace my "boost valve" and if that doesn't work take it to the dealer for vacuum check!

Does that sound like my best course of action? I left a VM for a dealer service advisor.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #25
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
No boost again twice this week:
Drove 600 miles at highway speeds over 2 days last weekend. Ran like a charm. Got home about 5pm. Garaged.

8pm, needed to take a trip to the hospital. Door locks acting up, stumble at startup, no boost. 15 minute drive.
Post hospital, door locks still weird (driver won't unlock, mostly), but boost was back.
Door lock has gotten progressively better throughout the week, but Tuesday afternoon I had to open passenger door and hit the dash button to unlock driver.

This morning, stumble at startup. Cold idle didn't last long, and as it came down it overshot the target and nearly stalled. No boost.

Throughout, it hasn't thrown a code, flashed a light, or advised me to be concerned.

Not overly concerned about door lock at this point - just noticed that the issue somewhat coincides.

My BMW-Only indy who's worked on Bimmers for 20 years and has a 435i has no idea what's going on, but said I might want to replace my "boost valve" and if that doesn't work take it to the dealer for vacuum check!

Does that sound like my best course of action? I left a VM for a dealer service advisor.
I know this might sound a bit off, but put a voltage tester on your car and see what voltage is doing. I've seen failing voltage regulators cause all kinds of strange issues. Might just need a new alternator.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10512.00
      06-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #26
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

tjswarbrick

Sounds like something electric rather than a failing mechanical solenoid.

Q). Did you ever have the battery cable recall done? I would also check your battery terminals to see if they are tight and clean of corrosion.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #27
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys.
I got a Northstar AGM battery last summer. Had charging system programmed to match, but haven't looked at it since then.
Will check in to that.

Not sure about battery cable - I bought the car used at about 45k mi. But when I spoke to BMW Customer Service all that was outstanding is the airbag.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      06-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #28
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Getting worse - happens pretty much every day now, but not all day. Just one drive cycle, or trip (start-up to shut-down.)
Last night instead of stumbling, idle just wavered and throttle took a couple seconds to respond the first time.
Battery, terminals, and cables are spotless and tight.

Dealer never followed through on my inquiry.
Made an appointment with a local respected repair/tune facility (can I name names?)
From description, they also suspect electrical gremlins. (Not the AMC kind.)
Joys. But better than HPFP, Injectors, Turbo, or a host of other potential failures...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 03:59 AM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Getting worse - happens pretty much every day now, but not all day. Just one drive cycle, or trip (start-up to shut-down.)
Last night instead of stumbling, idle just wavered and throttle took a couple seconds to respond the first time.
Battery, terminals, and cables are spotless and tight.

Dealer never followed through on my inquiry.
Made an appointment with a local respected repair/tune facility (can I name names?)
From description, they also suspect electrical gremlins. (Not the AMC kind.)
Joys. But better than HPFP, Injectors, Turbo, or a host of other potential failures...
Getting worse is a good thing... bc now your shop can observe whats going on and hopefully diagnose it and FIX it!

Yes, you can name your shop here on the forum(just don't go making ads for them all over the forums).

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #30
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Sport PPK

Just replaced both of mine this weekend. Between adjusting the wastegates and replacing these and my vacuum lines, holy moly!
Monaco Blue/Coral Red | MHD BE Flash | RI M1 Bumper | VRSF 7" FMIC | aFe DCI Intake | AR Catless DP | ER CP & Tial Q BOV | H&R Springs | VMR 18" | Black Gloss Grills | aFe Air Intake Scoops | MFactory SMFW | 335is Clutch | Blacked Out Side Markers | Carbon Fiber Deck Spoiler | LUX LED Angel Eyes | BMW Aluminum Pedals | BMS OCC | Mishimoto OCC | RB Turbo External PVC Kit | JB4 w/ Wireless | PR Stage 2 Fuel Pump | BMS SSK
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #31
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

I tested mine last weekend, and when subjecting both to vacuum, one leaked down extremely slowly, and the other almost imperceptibly, so I think I'm probably ok. As long as the vac pump can overcome whatever leakdown the solenoids have and the wastegates hold vac, there shouldn't be a problem... I guess the next step would have been to apply vacuum to the lines running to the wastegates, but I lazed out. Maybe next time...

ianc
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #32
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Getting worse is a good thing... bc now your shop can observe whats going on and hopefully diagnose it and FIX it!

Yes, you can name your shop here on the forum(just don't go making ads for them all over the forums).

Dackel
Even though it never gave me a warning indicator, when they scoped it they found 10 instances of Cold Start Fuel Pressure Too Low.
So it looks like I have one of those N55's with HPFP issues. They're keeping it overnight to try to confirm issue at cold start. Joy.
But it's not the boost solenoid.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      06-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #33
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Even though it never gave me a warning indicator, when they scoped it they found 10 instances of Cold Start Fuel Pressure Too Low.
So it looks like I have one of those N55's with HPFP issues. They're keeping it overnight to try to confirm issue at cold start. Joy.
But it's not the boost solenoid.
Any updates ? Keep us informed.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #34
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Their tech said my car has the dread "long cranking." I had no idea. Fires up as readily as my wife's Pathfinder or F-i-L's ES350, every time. Also registered some cold-start misfires.

They kept the car an extra day to confirm Cold Start Low Pressure on their watch. I told them that twice this year I gunned it quickly before shutdown, and when I fired it up next time it did the no-boost thing. Not sure if they tried that, but the next time they fired it up they got the error. Replaced HPFP.
They wanted to keep it Friday to confirm the repair, but I'm sure how they could be sure since it took them a few days to diagnose the problem to begin with. They're not open over the weekend, and I really need a car this afternoon and tomorrow AM.

All I've done so far is drive it home 15 miles from the shop Thursday night. Started before I even got my finger off the button, so, I guess I need to realign my expectations there.
Delayed-reaction tach didn't register anything amiss, but I thought I felt a couple misses during cold start. Drove fine. Boost didn't feel appreciably stronger than normal, and the first time I got into the boost I felt a hint of lag - which is very out of character for my baby.
But the next couple times (in the name of science, of course) it felt just fine. Took the girls camping in the Nissan this weekend, and drove FiL to church in his Lexus this AM.
So I'll be taking her out for real a little later today.

Also had a leaky oil-level sensor, dropping oil on the harness. Probably just the o-ring. I had the OFH replaced a couple months ago elsewhere - seems he just reused the sensor. Laziness? They charged a few bucks for the part, but considered the labor "included."
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #35
jessreds
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 2012

Hello, someone knows, if that piece is disconnected and the car is started, it circulates like 30 miles, after I realize that being the turbo does not work well I feel that it does not push, thanks for the support
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #36
maltocaro
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe n55 bmwp exhaust

Just changed my boost solenoid and vacum lines and it has made a hell of a difference! Boost on target and pullong hard
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #37
Yavarm3
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i DCT

Good info here hope this resolves my problem, Thank you.