BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Post Installed Bilstein B8 shocks/struts & BMW Performance Springs (With DIY)

I was extremely fortunate to find a fantastic deal on a full Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit with Eibach springs as well as a full set of genuine BMW Performance Springs. I sold the Eibachs since I cannot run a drop that aggressive with my setup (1.2" drop from stock) and the roads here are such garbage I was worried about damaging something. So I went with the BMW Perf springs, T2 front, T3 rear.

Parts used:
I also purchased all new mounting hardware, but only ended up using some of it since the Bilstein kit came with some components and others were completely fine. I suggest doing the same, as you should replace whatever is damaged or old and you can always return what you don't use.

It took me a very long time to settle on this configuration but it seemed to offer the characteristics I was looking for:
  • Slightly decreased ride height (.5" in this case)
  • Stiffer all-around springs (about 35-40% stiffer)
  • Better road feel
  • Reduced body roll
  • More planted rear in corners

First impressions:
I'm going to give my conclusion/first impression here, and then below you can find DIY info and an install video.
  • Ride Height: I have only driven about 20 miles so far and I have not had the car aligned yet. The susepension has just settled and the drop is barely noticeable from the stock m-sport springs, and it's exactly where I want it to be. I expect it to settle a little more over the next month.
  • Spring Rates: The BMW Performance springs are noticeably stiffer than the M-Sports, and I would say they feel like more than the advertised 34% stiffness increase. The ride is not at all jarring, and the Bilstein shocks soak up bumps much better than OEM.
  • Road Feel: There is a noticeable increase in road feel but without an alignment there is also some oddities in the steering, this will after a trip to the shop this week.
  • Body Roll: This is by far the most notable change, immediately you can tall that body roll and pitch has been decreased significantly. Braking and acceleration feels much more confident, there's no more nose diving on hard braking and the rear doesn't faff about under hard acceleration. Roll in corners has easily been reduced by 75%+ and the car feels much more responsive.
  • Rear End: The back end of the car feels much more planted, especially over bumps in turns. I think adding a diff lockdown bracket in combination with this setup will make a world of difference from stock.

Overall Conclusion:
For the money, the B12 kit cannot be beat. However, I am also glad that I opted for the BMW Performance Springs as the drop with the Eibachs would have been way too extreme for local roads and my tire/wheel setup. The BMW Perf springs with the Bilstein shocks is a match made in heaven and the car feels much more confident overall. The car handles bumps and potholes well, with no increased stiffness that I can tell. The OEM shocks do not handle bumper roads well so this has been a great improvement. I have not found any downsides, and there's nothing I would do differently at this time. Some suggested camber plates, but with the BMW springs you do not need them. If you stick with the Eibachs, that is likely a different story. I am extremely satisfied and highly suggest this combination to anyone looking for a better-than-stock ride without breaking the $1k mark or jumping to coilovers.

Crappy cell-phone pics at my work garage until I can get some better ones:
20171211_095131 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20171211_095152 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20171211_095118 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20171211_095104 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

The install:

I was nervous about the installation process because a few threads I had dug up made it seem like a very difficult task for the weekend garage warrior, and some suggested to just bring it to a shop as it took them 6+hrs to complete. Nevertheless, a good friend of mine helped me do some research and convinced me it was worth it trying to do this ourselves, and I'm very glad we did! We got it done in about 5 hours, and that included my friend having to drive around for 45mins for me to find a couple sockets we needed.

I won't go into too much detail simply because the DIY/How-To video we used from ECS Tuning covered nearly everything you'll need to know, I'll link that at the bottom of this post (also click here for link) so it doesn't take up the whole screen.

Please note: You will NEED to get a 4-wheel alignment after this. Do not try to install a full suspension, especially one that lowers the car at all, and then drive normally. Let it settle for a few miles and then get it to an alignment shop.

Tools you'll need:
  • 2x 18mm Sockets, at least one deep
  • 2x 19mm Sockets
  • 6 mm, 13mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm deep sockets and box wrenches
  • 21mm thin-walled (or non-impact) socket for the top shock nut for Bilstein installs
  • 22mm Socket
  • Spring compressor kit (like this one, may not be needed if doing coilovers or pre-assembled struts).
  • Extensions
  • Schwaben Spindle Spreader
  • Torque wrench
  • Impact driver certainly helps, but is not required. We used an electric one my friend has.
  • Metric allen wrench set
  • Torx Set (for strut tower bars)
  • Lots of penetrating oil
  • Anti-seize and grease
  • Needlenose pliers
  • Various flathead screwdrivers
  • Jackstands
  • Jack (floor jack, not bottle or scissor type)
  • Painters tape or masking tape, for protecting the paint on the front fenders

As I said before I used the linked video from ECS tuning and it did an incredible job of walking us through this project. I'll just add a few notes here on things that gave us trouble or things that are different from the e90 platform that they used in the video (everything is 99% the same, really).

e82 Platform Suspension Install Tips (video time-stamp links included):

[Video] Have a friend help, even if you're a veteran. There's a few parts that are just damn near impossible to do solo, and it's always safer to work with a friend.

Get the car on 4 jackstands, set the e-brake and put the car in gear, lift the front first, then the back. The first setting on my jack stands was plenty of height to do everything we needed to do. If you're using a lift, you're a lucky SOB, ignore this tip.

[Video] When doing the front shocks, make sure you take off the calipers and rotors and zip tie the calipers out of the way so there is no strain on the lines. This will make life much easier, especially when re-installing.

Loosen the control arms as little as possible to prevent too much adjustment to your alignment.

When pulling the front struts, do not push too hard on the suspension to get them out, you can damage components this way.

When removing the front struts, take a picture of the lines and wires so you know how they go back together, it's not always easy to remember!

USE THE SPRING COMPRESSORS if you need to dissemble the struts. They are under load and trying to remove the top nut can get you seriously injured.

[Video] When lining up the lower control arm bolt near the hub for the rear suspension (on re-assembly), use a jack to help you out. The spring will be compressed and this will make things difficult. Take your time and be careful. Get that bolt in before doing the rear shock as you can insert the shock into the bottom, compress it down, and then guide it into the top mount.

[Video] Removing the trunk liner is different from the e90, you will need to put the rear seats forward, remove some pins, and then wrestle each side completely out of the car. It's annoying, but you can do it.

Some other pics:
20171210_125659 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20171210_125730 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20171210_125742 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

Update:
Got the car aligned yesterday, didn't take the pins out of the front shock mounts so front camber was limited but so far the car feels fantastic. Way more confident around corners than before, much better turn in, and way more responsive. The reduction in body roll is nothing short of astounding, it really feels like a sports car now and not some mushy sedan!

Spec sheet from the alignment is attached, and here's some bonus pics and the final product.

20171213_130751 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20171213_134325 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20171214_143432 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
Attached Images

Last edited by Matticus91; 12-14-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 13
      12-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Thanks for the write up! Keep us updated on your thoughts after getting an alignment and really taking her through some curvy roads! But so far I'm sold
Appreciate 2
Matticus913469.50
Bimmer TV125.00
      12-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Good deal. What you did is my wish list - next major modification.

Did you find the springs used or go new?
      12-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Thanks for the write up! Keep us updated on your thoughts after getting an alignment and really taking her through some curvy roads! But so far I'm sold
Will do for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Good deal. What you did is my wish list - next major modification.

Did you find the springs used or go new?
I got the Bilstein kit new, and the springs were used with barely any mileage.
      12-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Looks great! Helpful tips. Did you have any trouble separating the strut with the oval socket?

Now I've had Swift's for a year, kinda wish I went BMW Perf. I don't track it, and it's just a bit lower than I need for the street. Happy with the Koni Sports, though. Hope you're just as happy with the B12's!
Appreciate 1
Matticus913469.50
      12-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Finally! Lol. Hope they'll still be as good in a few years. Enjoy.
Appreciate 1
Matticus913469.50
      12-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Looks great! Helpful tips. Did you have any trouble separating the strut with the oval socket?

Now I've had Swift's for a year, kinda wish I went BMW Perf. I don't track it, and it's just a bit lower than I need for the street. Happy with the Koni Sports, though. Hope you're just as happy with the B12's!
Thanks! The oval socket I got was too small, so we ended up using a pry bar which is really not idea. But with two people we were able to gap it just barely so I could pull the shock out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Finally! Lol. Hope they'll still be as good in a few years. Enjoy.
Yeah took me way too long to get going on this, big thanks to my buddy for helping me out and motivating me to get it done haha. I'm going to keep the stock shocks as a backup in case I have any issues with the Bilsteins. I can swap one out and send the Bilestein in for warranty work if needed. It's not ideal but it'll get the job done.
      12-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Thanks! The oval socket I got was too small, so we ended up using a pry bar which is really not ideal. But with two people we were able to gap it just barely so I could pull the shock out.
Thanks!
Glad it wasn't just me. Same problem.
Unfortunately my assistant was a 10 year old girl who was already up past bedtime. 1 man pry bar attempts just made me mad. So I bolted it all back together and paid an arm and a leg to have a pro do it.

Sorry

I guess I'm still dwelling on it because if it was "simple" DIY I'd source some BMWP springs, swap 'em out in the garage, and try to recoup a little by selling the Swifts. But if I've gotta pay a shop, it costs just as much to swap front springs as to R&R the entire strut.
Rears should be fairly straightforward, at least.
But at this point I just don't have the courage to try again.

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 12-11-2017 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #9
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
@Matticus91 glad you were able to finally install these! Looks good!
Matticus913469.50
      12-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! The oval socket I got was too small, so we ended up using a pry bar which is really not idea. But with two people we were able to gap it just barely so I could pull the shock out.
I got the same tool, it was also too small. Just carefully used a crow bar, spread the knuckle gently, and removed the old strut. Easy peasy.
Matticus913469.50
      12-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Glad you went with the DIY. Struts and shocks aren't too hard but seem intimidating. Only a few potential sticking points.

For the strut clamp, I'm pretty sure I just put a large flathead screwdriver in the gap and tapped it with a hammer to drive it into the gap. I did the same thing on my E46.

BTW, the B12 Pro Kit is B8 shocks with Eibach springs. So maybe a better post title would be B8 Shocks and Perf Springs. I have the B12 kit installed, though I sourced the springs and shocks separately. It's a great pairing.
      12-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

I assume you all are referring to separating the steering knuckle clamp. A tool is around $25 and makes it very easy and no chance of damaging the clamp.

I'm impressed you were able to get this done with the spring compressors in your pictures. I gave up and took the parts somewhere to have it all assembled. I was trying to compress sport springs so maybe they were a bit longer, but, it made me nervous.
      12-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Thanks!
Glad it wasn't just me. Same problem.
Unfortunately my assistant was a 10 year old girl who was already up past bedtime. 1 man pry bar attempts just made me mad. So I bolted it all back together and paid an arm and a leg to have a pro do it.

Sorry

I guess I'm still dwelling on it because if it was "simple" DIY I'd source some BMWP springs, swap 'em out in the garage, and try to recoup a little by selling the Swifts. But if I've gotta pay a shop, it costs just as much to swap front springs as to R&R the entire strut.
Rears should be fairly straightforward, at least.
But at this point I just don't have the courage to try again.
I was amazed at how much shops were charging to do the install, some quoted close to a grand before alignment costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_M2 View Post
@Matticus91 glad you were able to finally install these! Looks good!
Cheers man thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I got the same tool, it was also too small. Just carefully used a crow bar, spread the knuckle gently, and removed the old strut. Easy peasy.
Same, works fine just need to be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
Glad you went with the DIY. Struts and shocks aren't too hard but seem intimidating. Only a few potential sticking points.

For the strut clamp, I'm pretty sure I just put a large flathead screwdriver in the gap and tapped it with a hammer to drive it into the gap. I did the same thing on my E46.

BTW, the B12 Pro Kit is B8 shocks with Eibach springs. So maybe a better post title would be B8 Shocks and Perf Springs. I have the B12 kit installed, though I sourced the springs and shocks separately. It's a great pairing.
I'm glad we did as well, it really wasn't to bad and saved a fortune.

And yeah I linked the tool in my post, the one I got was too small to be of any help sadly.

Quote:
I assume you all are referring to separating the steering knuckle clamp. A tool is around $25 and makes it very easy and no chance of damaging the clamp.

I'm impressed you were able to get this done with the spring compressors in your pictures. I gave up and took the parts somewhere to have it all assembled. I was trying to compress sport springs so maybe they were a bit longer, but, it made me nervous.

Like I mentioned before I have the tool but it was too small. When turned to the position that should spread the knuckle open it was still completely loose.

The spring compressors were fine, a little sketchy when tightening since they kept sliding around on me but nothing too bad at all. Had to compress both the stock Msport springs and then the BMW Perf springs since I used some of the stock hardware off the original struts.
      12-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #14
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Or free with next to zero chance of damaging anything. The surface that matters is the cylindrical surface. Scratching the surfaces that form the gap for the bolt wouldn't do anything. And you'd have to really mess up to damage the threads.
      12-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
Or free with next to zero chance of damaging anything. The surface that matters is the cylindrical surface. Scratching the surfaces that form the gap for the bolt wouldn't do anything. And you'd have to really mess up to damage the threads.
True. I was thinking more risk of overspreading the clamp but one would have to get really aggressive to do that. Not the first $25 I've wasted on the car!
      12-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #16
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Sport PPK

Great write up Matt! Thanks for sharing such detailed info and your experience plus feedback! I'm glad to see you are so happy with the new setup!!

Wait 'till you see what I go with very soon for suspension There will be an install video of course and your spring tips may just come in very handy! On that note, did you film your own video or were you only referencing the ECS vid in what you said?
Monaco Blue/Coral Red | MHD BE Flash | RI M1 Bumper | VRSF 7" FMIC | aFe DCI Intake | AR Catless DP | ER CP & Tial Q BOV | H&R Springs | VMR 18" | Black Gloss Grills | aFe Air Intake Scoops | MFactory SMFW | 335is Clutch | Blacked Out Side Markers | Carbon Fiber Deck Spoiler | LUX LED Angel Eyes | BMW Aluminum Pedals | BMS OCC | Mishimoto OCC | RB Turbo External PVC Kit | JB4 w/ Wireless | PR Stage 2 Fuel Pump | BMS SSK
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #17
Russiandl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 135i

Matt...are those 18" or 19" vmr's ..? I'm very close to getting the same set up, but afraid even the BMWPS Are going to be rubbing on my summer 19". Might just go with stock M-sport springs instead on B8, but from the pics it looks pretty close to my current ride height
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Good job! Glad you got it done. Aren't you sorry now you waited so long?

A tight suspension really makes a difference with the amount of power these cars have. Next move, if you'll permit me to make a suggestion, should be the Whiteline bushing inserts.

Also, sorry to hear the spreader socket from ECS didn't work. Here's a (cheaper) possible alternative. Don't know if it's any better, but if the socket is known to be too small... I ordered one but haven't had the opportunity to use it on my strut mount project yet.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-autotech.../10012411~aut/

ianc
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #19
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not the first $25 I've wasted on the car!
There should be a warning before purchasing any BMW, about the copious amount of cash that you'll inevitably spend on the car lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer TV View Post
Great write up Matt! Thanks for sharing such detailed info and your experience plus feedback! I'm glad to see you are so happy with the new setup!!

Wait 'till you see what I go with very soon for suspension There will be an install video of course and your spring tips may just come in very handy! On that note, did you film your own video or were you only referencing the ECS vid in what you said?
Thanks Btz! Still gotta hook up with you about some hooning footage and pics for the channel

Didn't bother making my own vid/DIY because the ECS one did a better job than I ever could. The e90 install is identical to the e82 install, save a few trim differences that I mentioned in the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russiandl View Post
Matt...are those 18" or 19" vmr's ..? I'm very close to getting the same set up, but afraid even the BMWPS Are going to be rubbing on my summer 19". Might just go with stock M-sport springs instead on B8, but from the pics it looks pretty close to my current ride height
They're 18" Avant Garde M310's, with a pretty unique offset, check my build thread (link below), all wheel/tire specs in first post. I don't think 19's are a great option on the 1 series, you just lose performance with them. But if it's aesthetics you're after than by all means.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1263786

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Good job! Glad you got it done. Aren't you sorry now you waited so long?

A tight suspension really makes a difference with the amount of power these cars have. Next move, if you'll permit me to make a suggestion, should be the Whiteline bushing inserts.

Also, sorry to hear the spreader socket from ECS didn't work. Here's a (cheaper) possible alternative. Don't know if it's any better, but if the socket is known to be too small... I ordered one but haven't had the opportunity to use it on my strut mount project yet.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-autotech.../10012411~aut/

ianc
Very happy it's done and certainly wish I had done it sooner haha. I just got it all aligned so I'm about to add some info to the OP on how it feels now.

The whiteline bushings are high on my list, and have been in my Amazon "wishlist" for about a year now, LOL. I think they might be out of my list of willing DIY projects though so I may wait till I can get a shop to install them at a decent rate.
      12-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #20
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Looks incredible!

Bookmarked all of this so when the time comes I can buy all these upgrades

I really appreciate the lack of a drop - I like low but I also like whipping my car into parking lots and not having to worry if I'll scrape.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #21
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Looks incredible!

I really appreciate the lack of a drop - I like low but I also like whipping my car into parking lots and not having to worry if I'll scrape.
Thanks man! With the roads in this area and the amount of speed bumps I deal with, any lower than this would drive me insane.
      12-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #22
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Looks incredible!

Thanks man! With the roads in this area and the amount of speed bumps I deal with, any lower than this would drive me insane.
Car looks great, Matt. I have the BMW Performance springs as well (with BMW Perf. Suspension), and I also appreciate the fact that it is just a slight drop. 10mm lower and spring rates are increased 34% over the stock M Sport suspension. I'm on stock size 313 wheels with upsize tires 225/255, so a little different than your setup.

This gives me the confidence to drive most anywhere without worrying about scraping, but lessens the wheel gap some and gives a little more of an aggressive look. At times I wish I would've gone lower but all said and done I'm glad I didn't.