BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Front Swaybar Question

So I have a 128i with the "M" suspension which I think means it came with a rear sway bar albeit small.

My new square wheel setup should be going in within the next two weeks, and I am looking at adding a Front Sway bar in the 26mm-28mm range to liven up turn-in and take out a little more roll.

Car will not be tracked, and I will probably end up staying with the stock springs, struts at the moment as I want to see how my car looks at it's current ride height with the new wheels.

My question is, basically all I need is the swaybar and the bushings...and grease...right?

I should not need to change out the bushing holders and be able to use the ones already on my car....correct?

I just didn't know if the holders changed since everything will be slightly bigger.

Thanks!
      03-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Can't quite comment as I have the stock bar still on my car despite suspension mods, only thing I'll say is get adjustable swaybar endlinks in case you do decide to lower the car. I should have done this myself when I had my suspension put in, but didn't know better. The links creak a little now given the years of constantly being under "tension".

Secondly - I can't remember what offset wheels you got (you're getting the Apex I recall) - but in my experience even with stock sizes, if you get more aggressive offset wheels it somehow "accentuates" the wheel gap. Factory offsets have the wheels "sunken" somewhat and it can disguise wheel gap.

Lastly - you probably already know this, but generally if you ever plan to upgrade the suspension later with stiffer springs/shocks/etc, better to do that first and then "dial it in" with swaybars if you really feel it's necessary. That's one of the reasons I left swaybars out of the equation to see how the suspension upgrades would work first...

Just some food for thought....good luck!
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Can't quite comment as I have the stock bar still on my car despite suspension mods, only thing I'll say is get adjustable swaybar endlinks in case you do decide to lower the car. I should have done this myself when I had my suspension put in, but didn't know better. The links creak a little now given the years of constantly being under "tension".

Secondly - I can't remember what offset wheels you got (you're getting the Apex I recall) - but in my experience even with stock sizes, if you get more aggressive offset wheels it somehow "accentuates" the wheel gap. Factory offsets have the wheels "sunken" somewhat and it can disguise wheel gap.

Lastly - you probably already know this, but generally if you ever plan to upgrade the suspension later with stiffer springs/shocks/etc, better to do that first and then "dial it in" with swaybars if you really feel it's necessary. That's one of the reasons I left swaybars out of the equation to see how the suspension upgrades would work first...

Just some food for thought....good luck!
Thanks. I got 18" 8.5 et45 for all 4 corners. Think I will put those on, and see where I stand.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #4
Fakemike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N54 MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post

My question is, basically all I need is the swaybar and the bushings...and grease...right?

I should not need to change out the bushing holders and be able to use the ones already on my car....correct?

Thanks!
I got an Eibach bar off Craigslist for my 135i M-Sport.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...postcount=9273

I'm pretty sure it came with new bushings and you just reuse the BMW bushing holders.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      03-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Not a fan of upgraded front bar unless sticking with stock springs. In that case yes, bushings and bar.
      03-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Get the M3 bar, you'll need M3 brackets and bushings but it's worth it. I looked at the 28mm eibach sway bar but that thing weighs a LOT.
Appreciate 0