BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #45
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Stoptech Trophy 380 and AP will both work. Brembo 380 is too big for this, mainly the caliper clearance issues, but their smaller kit will work.

See photo with the Apex ARC8 over the Stoptech Trophy Sport.
I love that front splitter.

Two questions:
1. Is there a whale tail fin that matches that lip? (Same carbon weave?)
2. I noticed you still have an asymmetrical setup front to back. I had heard that it was better to have a square setup vs smaller width fronts. Anyone chime in on this subject? And if so how large a difference to the cars feel is there?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #46
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
I love that front splitter.

Two questions:
1. Is there a whale tail fin that matches that lip? (Same carbon weave?)
2. I noticed you still have an asymmetrical setup front to back. I had heard that it was better to have a square setup vs smaller width fronts. Anyone chime in on this subject? And if so how large a difference to the cars feel is there?

Thanks!

1. A replacement trunk will be available in a few weeks. The tail may following but there is no confirmation.

2. A square setup only gives up traction in the rear through the use of smaller rear wheels and tires. When properly setup with spring rates, corner weights, alignment and etc. This car will have near zero understeer. What you want is the widest wheels and tires you can fit under the fenders.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #47
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Quote:
1. A replacement trunk will be available in a few weeks. The tail may following but there is no confirmation.

2. A square setup only gives up traction in the rear through the use of smaller rear wheels and tires. When properly setup with spring rates, corner weights, alignment and etc. This car will have near zero understeer. What you want is the widest wheels and tires you can fit under the fenders.
Other than a square setup making it easier to get to neutral handling (noting that corner balance can also be of assistance) it also allows the rotation of tires making wear more balanced all through the life of the tires. This is big when trying to nurse the end of tire life at the track.
      12-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #48
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Other than a square setup making it easier to get to neutral handling (noting that corner balance can also be of assistance) it also allows the rotation of tires making wear more balanced all through the life of the tires. This is big when trying to nurse the end of tire life at the track.
I will be picking up a set of these wheels sooner than later. I honestly don't know if I should go square or not. The reality of things is I would be doing most 4 de events and maybe driving them on the street from time to time. While money is not an issue, If I can save myself cash by running a square setup and prolonging the life of a set of tires i think this I the move. I just want to make sure I am not losing anything by going this route. Is there a sticky or thread somewhere that spells out the exact pros and cons of both setups?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #49
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Harold, you talk about an 18 x 10 and an 18 x 11 setup in this thread about an aggressive track setup. What I the et of the 18 x 10 wheel that you would run up front?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #50
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
Quote:
I will be picking up a set of these wheels sooner than later. I honestly don't know if I should go square or not. The reality of things is I would be doing most 4 de events and maybe driving them on the street from time to time. While money is not an issue, If I can save myself cash by running a square setup and prolonging the life of a set of tires i think this I the move. I just want to make sure I am not losing anything by going this route. Is there a sticky or thread somewhere that spells out the exact pros and cons of both setups?

Lol. You said, "while money isn't an issue......", Then in the same sentence, you then mentioned saving money.

Money is ALWAYS an issue.

Harold stated this earlier. The best thing for the maximizing grip is the biggest tire on all corners and not rotating. If you are going racing or want the fastest possible setup then go staggered with 10" front and 11" rear.

However, one can trade rear end grip for better tire wear by going with a square setup. The apex arc 8 with 18x10 et 25 ( or 22?) will fit a 275/35/18 continental will fit up front. Other tires may Not, experiment as you wish. The wheel/tire will extend outside the fender but will not rub.

Personally, I have no problems with not maxing out the rear tire size in favor of rotating/ easy install with the square setup. My car is used primarily for DE, autocross second, and weekend driver, third. I already want a third set of wheels. Had 12 identical wheels in the past and that was awesome.

The apex arc 8 is great as it is light, relatively affordable, strong , and plentiful. Picking up spare sets is easily done now or in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #51
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Lol. You said, "while money isn't an issue......", Then in the same sentence, you then mentioned saving money.

Money is ALWAYS an issue.

Harold stated this earlier. The best thing for the maximizing grip is the biggest tire on all corners and not rotating. If you are going racing or want the fastest possible setup then go staggered with 10" front and 11" rear.

However, one can trade rear end grip for better tire wear by going with a square setup. The apex arc 8 with 18x10 et 25 ( or 22?) will fit a 275/35/18 continental will fit up front. Other tires may Not, experiment as you wish. The wheel/tire will extend outside the fender but will not rub.

Personally, I have no problems with not maxing out the rear tire size in favor of rotating/ easy install with the square setup. My car is used primarily for DE, autocross second, and weekend driver, third. I already want a third set of wheels. Had 12 identical wheels in the past and that was awesome.

The apex arc 8 is great as it is light, relatively affordable, strong , and plentiful. Picking up spare sets is easily done now or in the future.
Nah, money is not the issue. I want to get the better setup. I think the apex wheels are great looking and the availability and price are perfect. I would love to pick up two sets, but i live in a condo and do not have the room. It would obviously be nice to keep the extra money in my pocket but were not talking big bucks here. I think running a properly setup staggered configuration is probably best but from my readings on the forums I see a ton of people raving about their square setups. Not sure if they are going this route because of money and the prolonged length of tire or there really is more to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #52
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What's the ET on the wheels? I have a few friends that run that wheel/ tire size setup on a 1M and they do not rub at all.
ET35 front and 27 rear.

Let us know if can help you with your set of track wheels.

We have done many like this, with or without tires.
I 100% will give you a call when I am ready. You obviously know your stuff when it comes to the 1
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #53
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Nah, money is not the issue. I want to get the better setup. I think the apex wheels are great looking and the availability and price are perfect. I would love to pick up two sets, but i live in a condo and do not have the room. It would obviously be nice to keep the extra money in my pocket but were not talking big bucks here. I think running a properly setup staggered configuration is probably best but from my readings on the forums I see a ton of people raving about their square setups. Not sure if they are going this route because of money and the prolonged length of tire or there really is more to it.

If you are only going to have four wheels then rotating among same size wheels is not only going to be cost effective, it's cost effective from the PRACTICALITY aspect. Wolfpack mentioneed this... Let's say your home track causes heavy wear to the one tire... the right rear for example. If you start having to purchase right rear tires at a 2:1 ratio... then, unless you have a tire mounting machine/service handy, and cheap, you will end up having to invest a fair amount of time having that tire replaced, and of course that will be out of sequence with the others.. The more events.. the more hassle this becomes. If.. during an event.. at this same favorite track... the right wear wears down...you may have to head home and give up time at the event...
Just sayin..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #54
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you are only going to have four wheels then rotating among same size wheels is not only going to be cost effective, it's cost effective from the PRACTICALITY aspect. Wolfpack mentioneed this... Let's say your home track causes heavy wear to the one tire... the right rear for example. If you start having to purchase right rear tires at a 2:1 ratio... then, unless you have a tire mounting machine/service handy, and cheap, you will end up having to invest a fair amount of time having that tire replaced, and of course that will be out of sequence with the others.. The more events.. the more hassle this becomes. If.. during an event.. at this same favorite track... the right wear wears down...you may have to head home and give up time at the event...
Just sayin..
Makes sense. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #55
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Quote:
Just sayin..
EXACTLY!!
      12-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #56
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

I have an opportunity to purchase a used set of APEX-8 ET 25 18x10 with Hoosier 285x30 R6 square for a screaming deal, I'm sure the rear is good to go. Anyone tried this wide of a tire in the front? I'm on stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #57
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu View Post
I have an opportunity to purchase a used set of APEX-8 ET 25 18x10 with Hoosier 285x30 R6 square for a screaming deal, I'm sure the rear is good to go. Anyone tried this wide of a tire in the front? I'm on stock suspension.
If its a screaming deal then get the wheels and if you have to buy two tires then no biggie. There is a thread with the title max tire width for front. Search on it for additional info.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #58
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu View Post
285's up front will be a bit of a tough fit...275 is about as much tire as you can run up front, but you can always give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #59
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Harold -

For this year's One Lap, I'm planning to run 265/35-18 Michelin PSS up front.

If I go with the Apex ARC-8 wheel, should I go with et22 or 35?

Thanks.

Neil

P.S. And be so kind as to pm me with pricing!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #60
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Harold -

Thanks.

Neil

PM sent!

One Lap sponsorship available!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #61
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Harold -

Thanks.

Neil

and what size would you go with in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #62
eriktufa
3r1k
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i

More = Better
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #63
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
and what size would you go with in the rear?
Just ordered my One Lap rubber. Under rules, we must use street tires.

I'll be running Michelin Pilot Super Sport -- 265/35-18 front, 285/35-18 rear.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #64
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:

Neil

i am considering going with street tires for autocross in the same size if RS-3s will fit....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #65
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
i am considering going with street tires for autocross in the same size if RS-3s will fit....
Good question. Assuming they will fit the same, the PSS are ~$250 more for the full set but wear rating is double that of the RS-3s. What to do...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #66
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:

Neil
Sounds good. Let us know how the 18s make the car feel.