BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Conversion

Logged My JB4 ISO Today

I just updated my JB4 G5 ISO software today with the latest map (27.7). The Map 5 psi limit is 17.5, however I only hit about 14 psi on runs even though I'm FBO and running 50/50 e85. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Today was 80 degrees in FL, but I also have an AA fmic and 50% e85, so it should be relatively cool. Oil temps remain around 230 degrees with my low temp thermostat. I'm under 30k miles.

http://datazap.me/u/greensto/g5-iso-...w-e85-5050-mix

http://datazap.me/sites/default/file...117_1203_0.csv

This is my log from last year (before I upgraded my fmic, before ISO, only 30% e85). I was spiking 18.4psi
http://datazap.me/sites/default/file...o/G5Map5_0.csv

Video of my Riss Racing exhaust. Think the whistling sound is normal?

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.

Last edited by greensto; 11-18-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Acheron83
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
The whistling sound is present in a lot of cars, including my own, but I don't think it's an indication of anything wrong by itself.

A quick look at your logs shows that the JB is targetting 17+ psi initially which then tapers off towards the redline (pretty normal as far as I'm aware), but your car's achieved boost is 3-4psi under that all the way through.

Your low pressure fuel reading is also very erratic on boost. Try relogging with less e85 in the tank (say 30-40%) and see if that makes a difference. You LPFP may be struggling to cope with that concentration of e85 or could be on it's way out.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron83 View Post
The whistling sound is present in a lot of cars, including my own, but I don't think it's an indication of anything wrong by itself.

A quick look at your logs shows that the JB is targetting 17+ psi initially which then tapers off towards the redline (pretty normal as far as I'm aware), but your car's achieved boost is 3-4psi under that all the way through.

Your low pressure fuel reading is also very erratic on boost. Try relogging with less e85 in the tank (say 30-40%) and see if that makes a difference. You LPFP may be struggling to cope with that concentration of e85 or could be on it's way out.
I posted my log from last year before ISO and AA fmic (30% e85) map 5 and was spiking 18.4 psi. Does a failing LPFP have anything to do with psi?

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What may be causing this? Boost leak? Failing turbos?

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Acheron83
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensto View Post
I posted my log from last year before ISO and AA fmic (30% e85) map 5 and was spiking 18.4 psi. Does a failing LPFP have anything to do with psi?
I would expect to see the effect on the target PSI, not just the achieved boost assuming the JB4 actually works that way (still quite new to JB logging myself, but I'm carrying over what I learnt from my time with my Audis), but the pressure from the LPFP definitely looks erratic to me and the values at it's lowest points, according to BMS at least, are suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensto View Post
[/B]

What may be causing this? Boost leak? Failing turbos?
Turbo failure is of course quite possible, but I would imagine you'd see it elsewhere as well, e.g. odd spooling behaviour/sounds or perhaps some smoking.

A boost leak is more likely. I'd look at all of the common areas it can go wrong as a first point of call if you're convinced your LPFP/eth content isn't the culprit. Check your aftermarket intercooler connections, charge pipe, vaccuum reservoirs, dv's and associated vaccuum lines.

You're not getting any codes are you? I would expect based on your logs to see something relating to underboost?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would expect to see the effect on the target PSI, not just the achieved boost assuming the JB4 actually works that way (still quite new to JB logging myself, but I'm carrying over what I learnt from my time with my Audis), but the pressure from the LPFP definitely looks erratic to me and the values at it's lowest points, according to BMS at least, are suspect.

Turbo failure is of course quite possible, but I would imagine you'd see it elsewhere as well, e.g. odd spooling behaviour/sounds or perhaps some smoking.

A boost leak is more likely. I'd look at all of the common areas it can go wrong as a first point of call if you're convinced your LPFP/eth content isn't the culprit. Check your aftermarket intercooler connections, charge pipe, vaccuum reservoirs, dv's and associated vaccuum lines.

You're not getting any codes are you? I would expect based on your logs to see something relating to underboost?

No codes at all right now I guess I can check my fmic piping again, but I thought my car felt stronger after I installed it

Appreciate 0