BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Is the motor identical to the 35is motor?

The specs seem to suggest as much, but a few reviewers have suggested that it actually has some power up top.

Have any changes been made to the motor? I assume enough cooling to make it trackworthy, but anything to improve the performance?

Has anyone that's driven a 35is car also driven the 1MC?

Just curious. Thus far, I like most of what I see other than the engine. If it is the 35is motor, I don't think I'll be trading in my Z4 MC. Obviously, the 1er would be much more powerful (especially after minor modifications), but I'm too addicted to an engine that doesn't fall flat on its face up top.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

BMW is holding on to such detailed specs at this point. Regardless, expect M-Assembly with tighter clearances throughout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
The specs seem to suggest as much, but a few reviewers have suggested that it actually has some power up top.

Have any changes been made to the motor? I assume enough cooling to make it trackworthy, but anything to improve the performance?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Supposedly M// had a big role in the Z4 drive35is engine and car. In Bimmerfiles (pod cast #40) they said that the Z4 was almost sold as a M// model. But at the last minute the BMW board decided against that.

In all due time we shall see what the true engine specs are of the 1M engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
rca06Mcoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe Imola/Imola

I also read somewhere M division had big hand in developing z4335is, in particular, chassis design and wind tunnel testing.

I can't find any quotes saying M division designed or helped design the engine for the Z4 335is but I believe they probably did, at a minimum, collaborate.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #5
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca06Mcoupe View Post
I also read somewhere M division had big hand in developing z4335is, in particular, chassis design and wind tunnel testing.

I can't find any quotes saying M division designed or helped design the engine for the Z4 335is but I believe they probably did, at a minimum, collaborate.
I too remember something which i think came from Scott about them almost developing the 135i as an M in all but name too so i am sure this is a more special engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

In other words, you all think that they just stuck a stock 35is motor in this car? I hope this is not the case.

Btw, I've driven the Z4 35is, and it seemed less of an engine than my map 3 JB3 equipped car, even in the lighter Z4. So, I think the cooling would be the biggest draw, IF it doesn't limp on the track in stock form.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
In other words, you all think that they just stuck a stock 35is motor in this car? I hope this is not the case.

Btw, I've driven the Z4 35is, and it seemed less of an engine than my map 3 JB3 equipped car, even in the lighter Z4. So, I think the cooling would be the biggest draw, IF it doesn't limp on the track in stock form.

I dont see anything wrong with tranferring technology from one car to another. Especially if M-division had their hands in the development of the motor from the Z4-35is. Just an opinion. With a brand-new, design-from-scratch technology, there is potential for new problems. To me, I am pleased BMW in general, and M-division in particular, have had a few years tweaking this motor. Now, it is "just right" for the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
BMW is holding on to such detailed specs at this point. Regardless, expect M-Assembly with tighter clearances throughout.
Are we certain a N54 is getting M assembly like the other M cars?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

We will release some new info on this soon... there have been changes made. M has gone over this motor like any other of their offerings and made changes as they saw fit- what we are efforting is to see if those changes were also made to the IS offerings or if these recent changes are M specific.

I will not go into details here but, just know that there have been internal changes to make the car definitely track worthy.

Having seen a Z4 IS abused (note that the 335is and Z4IS were parallel projects with the 1M being developed by M more like the Z4) on the track by journalists and not having any issues after two days of pounding I have no doubt that the engine is effective for track days- out of the box race car is still to be determined...

-M
      12-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
We will release some new info on this soon... there have been changes made. M has gone over this motor like any other of their offerings and made changes as they saw fit- what we are efforting is to see if those changes were also made to the IS offerings or if these recent changes are M specific.

I will not go into details here but, just know that there have been internal changes to make the car definitely track worthy.

Having seen a Z4 IS abused (note that the 335is and Z4IS were parallel projects with the 1M being developed by M more like the Z4) on the track by journalists and not having any issues after two days of pounding I have no doubt that the engine is effective for track days- out of the box race car is still to be determined...

-M
An intriguing post! I look forward to your findings.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

As much as I know the M-division definitely had their hands in the development of this motor (talking about the Z4 35is engine as well).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

-M
Yes, intriguing indeed. This post, PLUS Map's other post stating that more ED info is coming. Hmmm...what else about ED is worth noting, other than the fact that ED is available? Im very curious now.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #13
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
To me, I am pleased BMW in general, and M-division in particular, have had a few years tweaking this motor. Now, it is "just right" for the 1M.
Is there a new fuel pump we don't know about? It would be really embarrassing to see the new fighter with the hindrance of a 5 year long problem.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:48 AM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
That is pure speculation. I'd expect the opposite. The engine, in that is will be very close to the N55 base motor (probably except software), will be built right along the regular N55s in a pretty automated fashion. Expecting tighter "clearances" throughout is BS as well. I think you meant tolerances as opposed to clearances and there is no reason to believe these will be any different than the regular N55 engine. Well unless you wanted to unnecessarily add a lot of cost...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #15
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Z4 35is has DCT option. How long will it take someone to adapt one to the 1 M?
There is a lot more to doing such a thing than bolting it up- the electronics need to talk to one another and that ain't happening without coding all the management systems- the reason why the DCT did not make it is the cost was too high to recode.
      12-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #16
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
That is pure speculation. I'd expect the opposite. The engine, in that is will be very close to the N55 base motor (probably except software), will be built right along the regular N55s in a pretty automated fashion. Expecting tighter "clearances" throughout is BS as well. I think you meant tolerances as opposed to clearances and there is no reason to believe these will be any different than the regular N55 engine. Well unless you wanted to unnecessarily add a lot of cost...
It is an N54 and there have been internal changes made for the M.

Other manufacturers (and BMW more recently) have used tighter tolerances on performance motors but the same case- VW/Porsche for ever have done this and BMW has done this with the twin turbo V8 in the X6/X5 M.
      12-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #17
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
... tighter tolerances...

for the naive among us; what is gained by the tighter tolerances? is it just more consistency in output from one engine to another, greater durability/reliability, etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
for the naive among us; what is gained by the tighter tolerances? is it just more consistency in output from one engine to another, greater durability/reliability, etc?
It's actually N54 - M car's engine is usually hand assembled by M in Munich and than sent to the plant.

It's an old link by here's a process of M development:
http://www.streetfire.net/video/the-...ies_163336.htm

As the N54 is not a S designated engine, we don't know if this is still the case as no one here has yet to confirm or deny it. We also don't know if the car will be built to the tolerance as other M cars as described in the video.

May be Scott have something to say?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Is there a new fuel pump we don't know about? It would be really embarrassing to see the new fighter with the hindrance of a 5 year long problem.
Roger that. I do not know the answer to this question, and I worried about it myself. One would hope a premier builder(BMW) & subsequent tuner (M) would flush that out.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
rca06Mcoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe Imola/Imola

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
It's actually N54 - M car's engine is usually hand assembled by M in Munich and than sent to the plant.

It's an old link by here's a process of M development:
http://www.streetfire.net/video/the-...ies_163336.htm

As the N54 is not a S designated engine, we don't know if this is still the case as no one here has yet to confirm or deny it. We also don't know if the car will be built to the tolerance as other M cars as described in the video.

May be Scott have something to say?
This is what I want to know before I put in a deposit. BMW Joy Event aside,
it is a business deal. They will assign a trade-in value to my Z4M based on known information and I have to assign a value to their 1M. Waiting for the North American price is only half way there. They need to come through with the back story on what "M tuning" or "M tuned engine" is, as described in the promotional material.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #21
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca06Mcoupe View Post
This is what I want to know before I put in a deposit. BMW Joy Event aside,
it is a business deal. They will assign a trade-in value to my Z4M based on known information and I have to assign a value to their 1M. Waiting for the North American price is only half way there. They need to come through with the back story on what "M tuning" or "M tuned engine" is, as described in the promotional material.
The joy event has no impact on the 1M delivery will not be until around May.

The motor info will come soon.
      12-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #22
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
The joy event has no impact on the 1M delivery will not be until around May.

The motor info will come soon.
Good to know, thanks!
Appreciate 0