BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
bmwboyi8
Perfectionist!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 118D M Sport Coupe

Diepsloot

... is it really that bad?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #2
Stealth135i
Turbo Lover
South Africa
Rep
Drives: N55 135i 2010

What exactly are you concerned about? Its a township a few km's away from a upper-class suburb. They struggle with the usual water supply and security e.t.c like other informal settlements they do wat they can to survive and live the best they can. Some have brick houses others are mostly make shift shack made of corrugated iron and they have a shopping mall dedicated to their settlement built next door. I will take some photos if your really interested.
      04-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
bmwboyi8
Perfectionist!
United Kingdom
Rep

I was just curious as I was reading an article in the News of the World newspaper yesterday and it was about the World Cup and what FIFA would prefer you didn't see! The journalist was saying that there are on average 4 killings every week in Diepsloot. I just wanted to hear what the real story was from people who actually stay there!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
135iFreak
Doin' A Fly By
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 135i AW/BB M-Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Woah that's some serious statements there..mind sending us a link to an online posting of the paper? I would really like to read that article. I've been working not too far from Diepsloot in Nasrec for the past two years and we haven't had a problem - Touch wood.
Cheers, take care.
      04-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
bmwboyi8
Perfectionist!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iFreak View Post
Woah that's some serious statements there..mind sending us a link to an online posting of the paper? I would really like to read that article. I've been working not too far from Diepsloot in Nasrec for the past two years and we haven't had a problem - Touch wood.
Cheers, take care.
Here is the article:-

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news...didnt-see.html
      04-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
It's worded in a very alarmist way, but the situation there is quite bad. The street-mob justice has been shown on tv documentaries before. I'm not sure, however, that the scale of it is sufficiently researched to confirm or deny the statistics quoted. Either way, unnatural deaths in Diepsloot are way higher than any of us would consider acceptable.

A friend of mine's mom used to do charity work out there. Not with any special security either. As a little old lady, she didn't feel scared, but she was going in as part of a church group. While I would never drive into Diepsloot myself, I've driven past it on quite a few occassions. Sufficiently close to be stopped by the locals if they wanted to close the road down. I do try avoid stopping at the traffic lights there and will take another route if I can, but wouldn't hesitate to drive the road if I was going out that direction.

Yes, it's wild and vigilante, and yes the police are entirely absent and too scared to take on the mobs, but the mobs are mostly ordinary people going about their lives trying to live and there seems to be a sense of street justice, even if it isn't the formal justice system and even if the system is flawed.

It may sound crazy to you and I to be killed over the equivalent of GBP 30, but that's a huge amount of money - perhaps half a month's wages - for the victims of the theft, and the sort of money that they may use to feed a family. So while the article is quick to give the impression that life is cheap, one cannot look at it as people killing over the theft of GBP 30 so much as people killing to defend themselves and their families from starvation and in doing so to uphold some sort of 'law-and-order' (if you can call it that).

But SA, as with many countries world-wide, has many fantastic virtues as well as many horrid vices. With any developing nation, you will have a huge disparity between the have's and the have not's.

As a tourist, you'd really have no reason to go anywhere near Diepsloot. If you're travelling for the soccer, you're likely to have a fantastic holiday and experience world-class hospitality. And yes, you'll largely be shielded and hidden from some of the places and things that you'd rather not see.

If you go to place like Diepsloot, it will be by choice, not by accident. If you go there modestly, you'll probably be safe. If you arrive with a camera and mobile phone that are collectively worth enough to feed two families for a month, chances are you'll leave without them and two families will be better off, without you having much say in the matter. If you're stupid and selfish enough to go in wearing a Rolex watch or a diamond necklace, you may be seriously injured as someone tries to rip it off you.

As much mis-management of funds as there is within government, there is also a huge amount of progress and development. The economic boost that the world cup is generating is fueling huge infrastructural projects and creating jobs. Economic growth is ultimately the only thing that will help give the impoverished a better life. And that's why I have no problem acknowleging just how bad things are in some of the townships. Because staying away or protesting it will only make things worse. But enjoying the fantastic aspects of what our country has to offer and spending money in the process will make the world of difference and generate both jobs and tax revenue that will help fix the problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
bmwboyi8
Perfectionist!
United Kingdom
Rep

Appreciate the honesty gmza and thanks for the very informative post. I'm glad I have heard the real insight and not just media garbage!