E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A near-stripped 325i should be the new People's Car.

01-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #23
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

I had thought it was that you could only write off the interest and the depreciation on the lease, not the entire lease payment. That's like writing off an entire asset purchase.

As for the poster that said ED could be a cheap way to acquire a car; it could but then you have to factor in 3 months of payments while you wait for the car to get back home (in the case of us West Coast people). I'd have to rent a car for 3mo and that would quickly eat up any savings I achieved.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #24
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlai322
You have equity in the civic if you finance it for $400 bucks a month. At the end of the day, the civic is yours to own.

In souther california, you can lease a civic for $150 to $200 bucks a month. Your are paying double on the 325 lease.
But then you have a Civic.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #25
gdcwatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mazda Protege

Wish granted: the Canadian 323i is the same money as a V6 Accord (except that there's no 6MT here). At some point you have to factor in the cost of paint @ $1000, and offset the $600 premium you pay for every set of run-flats, and $2500 if you want criuse control, for a body that will last.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #26
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt3s
I'm very impressed. Can I hang around you and your dad so I can be cool too?
Sure why not?

I just dislike people who make brash assumptions. Like my college marketing teacher last year. Nearing the end of my senior year in high school, she stated "When I see someone in a luxury car, I don't think "Wow he must be rich!", I think he must have the money to make the monthly payments". I actually told my teacher what I said in my previous post, and she went ape shit on me for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #27
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusinvestor
Sure why not?

I just dislike people who make brash assumptions. Like my college marketing teacher last year. Nearing the end of my senior year in high school, she stated "When I see someone in a luxury car, I don't think "Wow he must be rich!", I think he must have the money to make the monthly payments". I actually told my teacher what I said in my previous post, and she went ape shit on me for some reason.
maybe because she doesn't like cocky SOB's??
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #28
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
Agreed. Plus if was your DAD who got pissed, that's one thing, he purchased the car. Maybe your teacher should have said..."when I see a kid driving a luxury car, I don't think they are rich, I think mommy and daddy are rich".

I've got no beef with kids driving nice gifts from family, I just get a little ticked when I hear the kids mouthing off.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 06:57 PM   #29
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Seems like a lot of miscommunication getting started here. We need to get united against the real enemies like the folks on the Lexus/M-B boards that diss our bimmers. Better yet, an official announcement from BMW AG to get excited about. When there is nothing good to discuss, we break down into bickering.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #30
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
Granted, she should not have made that assumption in the first place. I mean how does she know the financial backdrop of everyone in the class I was attending? If she did not make that sly comment about the monthly payment, I absolutely would not have said the comment about the deed. So in the situtation it was kind of like arrogance v arrogance.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #31
ihavedrivenanm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ['02 e46] '06 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Seriously, with a budget of $400/month you can buy a Honda Civic EX or lease a 325i.

Why do people even bother with lesser cars?

I feel like I am getting away with something!
I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you are under 25.

Many, many, many people neither want nor do they care about those "qualities" that you feel separates and elevates a stripped 325i above a "lowly" loaded Civic EX.

Most of these people concern themsleves with things such as the fact that the Civic does as well or better in terms of saftey than does the 325 and that the Civic gets significantly better gas milage, important for many people who commute long distances on a daily basis.

Many of these "crazy" people also appreciate the likelyhood that a new and well maintained Civic will never see the inside of a maintenance bay...never! Many people also appreciate building at least some real equity by pruchasing a car as opposed to leasing it and losing money on the car, the payments, the trade-in and the money factor!

Need I go on?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #32
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Most people dont want to just get a stripper either. To each their own...

I'll take a stripper anyday.

Actually my first 325i last year was a stripper....all it had extra was heated seats (ridiculous at $550 then, and included now for the same base price). If I were not so xDrive hungry, the new 323i in Canada is a bargoon, stripped down, and they sell a ton of them!

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #33
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
I'll take a stripper anyday.

You got me on that one...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #34
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavedrivenanm1
Your limb is puny and off by seven years. Were you fired from the carnival?

Quote:
Many, many, many people neither want nor do they care about those "qualities" that you feel separates and elevates a stripped 325i above a "lowly" loaded Civic EX.
Many, many, many people are redundant. Many others don't know what they're missing. Have you driven a Civic? Let anyone test drive them back to back and "qualities" will easily be noted. What the hell are you talking about?

Quote:
Most of these people concern themsleves with things such as the fact that the Civic does as well or better in terms of saftey than does the 325 and that the Civic gets significantly better gas milage, important for many people who commute long distances on a daily basis.
The Civic is commendable for getting good crash test ratings and for having side airbags, but there is a lot to be said for active safety, that is, being able to avoid an accident: acceleration, handling, braking, traction control, stability control, need I go on?

A little... BMW have been the benchmark for safety for decades! Again, what the H?!?

The Civic does get better gas "milage", so you got one thing right (almost).

Quote:
Many of these "crazy" people also appreciate the likelyhood that a new and well maintained Civic will never see the inside of a maintenance bay...never! Many people also appreciate building at least some real equity by pruchasing a car as opposed to leasing it and losing money on the car, the payments, the trade-in and the money factor!
I don't believe I called anyone "crazy". How can the Civic be well-maintained if it "never!" sees the inside of a maintenance bay? Are all these crazy people doing their own maintenance at home? Are you aware that the Civic maintenance costs are infinitely more expensive than a 325i's? (der, free maintenance)

Building equity in a Civic is like investing in e-toys.com. How much do you think that Civic will be worth in five years? Do I need to bring up depreciation numbers of Honda v. BMW?

With a budget of $400 a month I just think it's an incredible bargain to spend my driving time in a fine Bavarian machine, rather than an econobox. That's my opinion. I never insulted those who choose Civics. I don't know where you are coming from defending all those poor Civic owners from your JAGUAR -- talk about wasting money on a car!!!

Quote:
Need I go on?
If you like.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #35
SilvertE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Seriously, with a budget of $400/month you can buy a Honda Civic EX or lease a 325i.

Why do people even bother with lesser cars?

I feel like I am getting away with something!

Well my co-workers buy 45-47K Diesel F750 trucks or what ever they are, trade it in after a few years for 30K. And yet they give me a hard time .... we'll see who retires 1st....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #36
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:

Need I go on?
Agree with you 100% Consumer base their decision to purchase products on a number of factors, especially the ones u highlighted. For this kid to make a statement like that shows his lack of ability to comprehend and analyze values important to others.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #37
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec
Agree with you 100% Consumer base their decision to purchase products on a number of factors, especially the ones u highlighted. For this kid to make a statement like that shows his lack of ability to comprehend and analyze values important to others.
I'll third that motion.

There is one other factor isn't being included here. Why do you buy a car? Most (if not all) of the people I know who own Camrys or Accords buy a car to get from point A to point B ONLY. It's not a matter of buying a car for the experience of getting there, but to just get there. These are the kind of people who really don't enjoy driving and have no need or even the desire to buy a performance car even it is the same cost as there reliable "people transport". That is very different then those of us on this board.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 10:51 PM   #38
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
I'm no expert on leasing. If you own a business that requires a company car, you can lease your car and write off the monthy payments and all related expenses against your total income to reduce your taxable income. You treat it like a business expense.

Danny
i could make up a side job computer consulting business, 'make some' 1099 cash, lease a car, report a net loss...

reduce my real job's w2 taxable income with that net loss.

whoa audit i'd be in a bit of trouble.

isn't another way to buy it yourself and lease it to yourself or something... oh, buy it, lease it to your 'company'?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 11:17 PM   #39
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc
i could make up a side job computer consulting business, 'make some' 1099 cash, lease a car, report a net loss...

reduce my real job's w2 taxable income with that net loss.

whoa audit i'd be in a bit of trouble.

isn't another way to buy it yourself and lease it to yourself or something... oh, buy it, lease it to your 'company'?
a lot of scenarios come into play when u own ur own business. there are definitely loop holes u could exploit. that's y tax consultant and accountant get's paid big bucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #40
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Power to the people!!!

The government should issue base model E90s to low income families like food stamps.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 11:42 PM   #41
canucklion
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo89
I'll third that motion.

There is one other factor isn't being included here. Why do you buy a car? Most (if not all) of the people I know who own Camrys or Accords buy a car to get from point A to point B ONLY. It's not a matter of buying a car for the experience of getting there, but to just get there. These are the kind of people who really don't enjoy driving and have no need or even the desire to buy a performance car even it is the same cost as there reliable "people transport". That is very different then those of us on this board.

and I"ll fourth that motion
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 11:59 PM   #42
Ethirtynine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Honda S2000

How could it be the 'People's Car' when you only keep it for 36 months or so? At the end of the day you'll have to return your car and you're left with nothing. Well, maybe you're left with the satisfaction of 'driving such a machine' for that period of time, but what good does that do you?

Civic owners could sell their cars at the end of day for over half the amount they paid for it. I don't know about you, but $10000 in my pocket is a lot of money. Do some calculations and it seems like civic owners really only paid around $200/month. To be honest with you, i give the same respect to honda civic owners and to 325i owners. (assuming both cars are left stock)

But hey, why finance a 330 when you can lease an M3!! right?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #43
canucklion
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine
How could it be the 'People's Car' when you only keep it for 36 months or so? At the end of the day you'll have to return your car and you're left with nothing. Well, maybe you're left with the satisfaction of 'driving such a machine' for that period of time, but what good does that do you?

Civic owners could sell their cars at the end of day for over half the amount they paid for it. I don't know about you, but $10000 in my pocket is a lot of money. Do some calculations and it seems like civic owners really only paid around $200/month. To be honest with you, i give the same respect to honda civic owners and to 325i owners. (assuming both cars are left stock)

But hey, why finance a 330 when you can lease an M3!! right?

Very good points. There's no need to knock on people who picked "lesser" cars. For them, a "lesser" car in your mind might be the "best-suited" to them. As many have pointed above, different people have different priorities/needs they look for in a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 12:10 AM   #44
canucklion
Canada
Rep

to noflash:
you need to chill dude! ihavedrivenanm1 was just making some poignant counter arguments, there's no need to make personal attacks.
Appreciate 0