E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90's power (HP, Torque)

08-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
Ponchoyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Black

E90's power (HP, Torque)

BMW in the past has usually understated the power of their vehicles on paper versus what the actual power band output really is. The HP in the past has been closer to "at the wheels" at around 90% versus other car manufacturers stating about 65%. The E90 is pretty close to what the BMW has on paper this time. Are they moving away from this fact? OR will any software upgrade they come up with (maybe in September) change some of the engine progamming (fuel mixture, etc.) to produce more power.

I remember when the first magazine the had the E90 out for a test run, They had the 0-60 time down to about 5.6 secs? Was this car that BMW provided a slightly software modded vehicle?

Whats everyone's comment or view on this?
      08-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

There was a fair bit of speculation and little fact on the list on this topic. The Car&Driver 0-60 time might have been quicker for any of several reasons: (1) different software (pre-release version), (2) optimistic equipment (e.g., reading off speedo), (3) C&D usually has fastest times, perhaps because they like to be the hotshoes, (4) broken-in engine, etc. We cannot test any of these hypotheses. All we know is that USA 330i is in the 6.2 ±.2 sec range. So don't challenge a mustang GT, or even a Toyota Avalon if you have steptronic. Reasonably quick, good gas mileage, but not the sub 5 1/2 sec 0-60 pop that we were hoping for. Hence the anticipation for the 335i, or at least a snappier ZHP/M-sport set up.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
Ed_330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

what will this 335i have and when will it come out?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Ponchoyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
There was a fair bit of speculation and little fact on the list on this topic. The Car&Driver 0-60 time might have been quicker for any of several reasons: (1) different software (pre-release version), (2) optimistic equipment (e.g., reading off speedo), (3) C&D usually has fastest times, perhaps because they like to be the hotshoes, (4) broken-in engine, etc. We cannot test any of these hypotheses. All we know is that USA 330i is in the 6.2 ±.2 sec range. So don't challenge a mustang GT, or even a Toyota Avalon if you have steptronic. Reasonably quick, good gas mileage, but not the sub 5 1/2 sec 0-60 pop that we were hoping for. Hence the anticipation for the 335i, or at least a snappier ZHP/M-sport set up.
Well, you're right about one thing....the article (http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2) states that its a Euro Spec car. If that's the case, we know our car is capable of the 5.6 Sec 0-60 times. We just need the software management to change our existing mapping.
      08-13-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchoyu
BMW in the past has usually understated the power of their vehicles on paper versus what the actual power band output really is. The HP in the past has been closer to "at the wheels" at around 90% versus other car manufacturers stating about 65%. The E90 is pretty close to what the BMW has on paper this time. Are they moving away from this fact? OR will any software upgrade they come up with (maybe in September) change some of the engine progamming (fuel mixture, etc.) to produce more power.

I remember when the first magazine the had the E90 out for a test run, They had the 0-60 time down to about 5.6 secs? Was this car that BMW provided a slightly software modded vehicle?

Whats everyone's comment or view on this?
Who said BMW changed their policy? Did you put the E90 on a dyno? They STILL understate their power ratings. Zero to 60 times have & always will be SUBJECTIVE, and are especially biased by the driver.

I was at the E90 meet today in Englewood, NJ and I can tell you an E90 325 is pretty much just as fast as an E46 330, there's no doubt in my mind. The only thing BMW is going to do to these engines is add Direct Injection, which may bump hp up very slightly, but for the most part only improve fuel economy.
Appreciate 0