BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2018, 11:51 PM   #947
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRickard View Post
Hi all,

Just bought an '08 135i with an N54, and will be predominantly used as a track car.
I'm told that the Oil Cooler is not upto the task and needs an upgrade, and that the ER Dual Oil Cooler kit is a must.
As it's pretty expensive for an oil cooler, is there anything else out there worth looking into? Or can I put a better core on the existing setup? Does the 1M have a different setup?
FWIW I will be leaving the power output mostly stock, will do dump pipes, IC and MHD tune at a later stage.

Cheers

Most are looking for a stock replacement upgrade. That is something that uses factory lines/connectors/brackets.
For you, so long as class allows, you can use any cooler you see fit and just make lines to fit.
Some of the problem with the stock unit is in the oil thermostat being on the high side for sustained racing. Something in the 180-190*F range would be better and offer a bit more buffer. Unfortunately there isn't something like that as a stock replacement.

Being you're in the south you might want to try and find a used by the name of AUbeast86. He'd have good insight and maybe a few parts to offer.
Appreciate 0