BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #45
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by My27KGame
any updates on this, I would really like to do this this winter.
It's a direct fitment. Bolts straight in. Get an alignment and you're set. Expect the steering to be heavy at slower speeds. Other than that the quicker ratio makes the car a lot
More fun to drive!
      12-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #46
Muppet
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Forgive the thread bump.

Have done this installation. To clarify the plastic tab should be left on the M3 rack and the wheel fixed during installation and it all fit up easily and there are no alignment problems. Standard steering arms make the the installation much easier than trying to use the M3 arms for no real gain.

The steering effort before Servotronic was very manly and forced you to throw the car into low speed corners and use the throttle to push it through. I do have 245 fronts and allot of castor. With Servotronic the steering is far more subtle and you can use extra castor for self centring and feel.

Implementation of Servotronic is not difficult with a bit of electrical wiring and coding.

+ and - wires needs to be taken from the valve on the rack to pins 5 and 6 on the rear plug on the junction box. Routing the wire is interesting and requires pulling apart some scuttle covers to get at the box where the wires go through the bulkhead.

The fusebox needs a 10 amp fuse at position 5. From there the car needs the servotronic option added to the car. The option number is $216. The next part is the one that was difficult to ascertain from all previous threads but in the end was very simple. NCS expert is required to activate the Servotronic valve in the JBBF2 ecu.

An interesting aside is that as a result of using the standard steering pump rather than a M3/1M unit the effort is a bit higher if you try turning the wheel while the engine is idling. I suspect the standard pump is smaller and needs a little bit of revs for full assistance to kick in.

Any questions I am happy to answer as this thread was very helpful in getting up the guts to do the change.
Appreciate 8
WhatsADSM227.50
feuer4274.50
fmorelli160.00
tetsuo1111224.00
houtan701.00
lab_rat394.50
      12-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #47
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet
Forgive the thread bump.

Have done this installation. To clarify the plastic tab should be left on the M3 rack and the wheel fixed during installation and it all fit up easily and there are no alignment problems. Standard steering arms make the the installation much easier than trying to use the M3 arms for no real gain.

The steering effort before Servotronic was very manly and forced you to throw the car into low speed corners and use the throttle to push it through. I do have 245 fronts and allot of castor. With Servotronic the steering is far more subtle and you can use extra castor for self centring and feel.

Implementation of Servotronic is not difficult with a bit of electrical wiring and coding.

+ and - wires needs to be taken from the valve on the rack to pins 5 and 6 on the rear plug on the junction box. Routing the wire is interesting and requires pulling apart some scuttle covers to get at the box where the wires go through the bulkhead.

The fusebox needs a 10 amp fuse at position 5. From there the car needs the servotronic option added to the car. The option number is $216. The next part is the one that was difficult to ascertain from all previous threads but in the end was very simple. NCS expert is required to activate the Servotronic valve in the JBBF2 ecu.

An interesting aside is that as a result of using the standard steering pump rather than a M3/1M unit the effort is a bit higher if you try turning the wheel while the engine is idling. I suspect the standard pump is smaller and needs a little bit of revs for full assistance to kick in.

Any questions I am happy to answer as this thread was very helpful in getting up the guts to do the change.
Thank you for the detailed account! Im glad it worked out for you!
      01-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #48
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Forgive the thread bump.

Muppet, am I reading you correctly: wire in the M3 rack as you describe and then get coded? No additional hardware is required?

I will be doing an M3 front and rear swap soon so this is very timely info.

Thank you.
      01-06-2017, 04:33 AM   #49
Muppet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
Muppet, am I reading you correctly: wire in the M3 rack as you describe and then get coded? No additional hardware is required?

I will be doing an M3 front and rear swap soon so this is very timely info.

Thank you.
PM me as the coding part is a bit more complex than I have written and still getting some funny outcomes.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #50
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
PM me as the coding part is a bit more complex than I have written and still getting some funny outcomes.
I am guessing all updating the VO code does is add servotronic, but it's not coded for M3 rack servotronic, just the regular servotronic coding that base EU cars get? Basically, the base servotronic coding doesn't match the ratio of the M3 rack.

The 1M gets servotronic with the same rack as the M3. Maybe you can flash the 1M zb to the JBBF2 module?

I ask because my power steering rack is weeping fluid at the seals into the boots. If it gets worse I'll just move to the M3 rack since they can be found for just as cheap on EBAY
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #51
Muppet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
I am guessing all updating the VO code does is add servotronic, but it's not coded for M3 rack servotronic, just the regular servotronic coding that base EU cars get? Basically, the base servotronic coding doesn't match the ratio of the M3 rack.

The 1M gets servotronic with the same rack as the M3. Maybe you can flash the 1M zb to the JBBF2 module?

I ask because my power steering rack is weeping fluid at the seals into the boots. If it gets worse I'll just move to the M3 rack since they can be found for just as cheap on EBAY
The IM has a M3 steering pump which I think is larger than the pump in a 135i. I think that has an effect. The weight when the servotronic is working is still not light at parking speed but not unpleasantly so. With no servotronic you really have to heave on the wheel. This not helped by my car having 245 fronts and 1 degree increased castor.

I have power running to the servo valve but it is unstable and this is the problem If I add a fixed voltage, say from a 6v battery to test the valve the weight was far too light but everything worked. I get a variable voltage while the car is running from 3.7 to 5.7v with no real consistency. Very strange.

When coding I found I had to bring the car back to scratch and then add the option and then a whole of car coding. I think there are changes to other ecu's other than the JBBF.

I have tried to obtain the 1M trace files to do a comparison of the JBBF but no luck to this point. I have obtained a trace file of all the applicable codes including the servotronic codes I have found extra lines of code but have not found what ecu they are posted to.

All very strange but I do like a challenge.

By the way the addition of the rack is worthwhile. The steering is sports car accurate and fast at normal road speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #52
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
The IM has a M3 steering pump which I think is larger than the pump in a 135i. I think that has an effect. The weight when the servotronic is working is still not light at parking speed but not unpleasantly so. With no servotronic you really have to heave on the wheel. This not helped by my car having 245 fronts and 1 degree increased castor.

I have power running to the servo valve but it is unstable and this is the problem If I add a fixed voltage, say from a 6v battery to test the valve the weight was far too light but everything worked. I get a variable voltage while the car is running from 3.7 to 5.7v with no real consistency. Very strange.

When coding I found I had to bring the car back to scratch and then add the option and then a whole of car coding. I think there are changes to other ecu's other than the JBBF.

I have tried to obtain the 1M trace files to do a comparison of the JBBF but no luck to this point. I have obtained a trace file of all the applicable codes including the servotronic codes I have found extra lines of code but have not found what ecu they are posted to.

All very strange but I do like a challenge.

By the way the addition of the rack is worthwhile. The steering is sports car accurate and fast at normal road speed.
When adding to the VO, and not being sure of what modules are changed, it's better to "process whole car" in ncsexpert. That will reset all the modules back to VO spec.

Comparing trace files won't necessarily tell you anything. The settings of "wert_1" might be exactly the same on both lines between a 135 and a 1M, but the actual data held by the value might be different.

Comparing the trace files before and after doing the "process whole car" could potentially point you to what modules are changed though... You could then do the work of researching the actual data values of the M3 and coding them to custom "wert" variables with ncsdummy.

I think you're looking at the voltage reading wrong... could the voltage be varying as the servotronic does its thing? like the voltage varies from the MAP sensor based on airflow?

A steady voltage may just be keeping the servotronic working at full tilt... which would be why the steering is "too light" when you max the voltage out.

all theory though...
Appreciate 1
LMB335IS1295.00
      01-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #53
Muppet
Private
Rep

Did process whole car. Figured out that little trap early.

The lines that went missing are:

SW_I_SERVOTRONIKANSCHL_C wert 02
SW_I_SERVOTRONIK_C0A wert 04
SW_I_SERVOTRONIKANSCHL_C wert 00
SW_I_SERVOTRONIK wert 05

A 1M has the same JBBF and much the same options as a 135i so I would think that it would be a smooth operation. Also a 1M has only one servotronic setting whereas the M3 has at least 3 that I am aware of. I am not sure how heavy the steering is on a 1M even with servotronic so it is difficult to get a fix on what final result should be. As I said the weight is not unacceptable as it is if disconnected.

I do know that the voltage I am seeing is variable and not according to road speed and if I disconnect the cable the steering goes heavier and a servotronic fault appears. Also interesting with the ignition turned off there is a residual 3.2v running to the valve.

I am pretty sure this is a software installation issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #54
bNks334
Major
Rep

Please post uodates if you dig into it more. I'll probably pick up the m3 rack whether servotronic is working or not.

I think there is definetly more to coding for the 1m/m3 specific servotronic instead of the base model servo the car probably thinks you installed based on the VO addition.

Just like you can't flash 330i dme software to a 328i, you probably won't be able to flash a 1m ZB number to your jbbf module. You'll need to manually edit the hexadecimal data of the jbbf wert values with ncsdummy.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #55
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Did it yesterday.
It is a direct swap, no cutting requiered.
I'll give my impressions regarding the driving when the car is finished.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #56
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Muppet, thanks for your persistence.

I'll keep to my stock rack until there seems to be a reliable solution to the coding.
      01-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #57
optigrab
More Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i MSport 6AT

what is the advantage of fitting a M3 rack vs fitting a 1M rack?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:18 AM   #58
Muppet
Private
Rep

Warning long winded post.

So I think I have now got this sorted. I had a bit of a problem with the placebo effect as I would try something, restart the motor and move the wheel and think it is lighter. It is only when you turn to full lock do you feel the additional load that is required without Servotronic. In addition past 30 kph the additional weight is really not a factor.

To answer the post above they are basically the same rack. Same ratio, same fitment apart from the hydraulic pipes may be slightly differently oriented.

The issue has been whether you can get Servotronic operating on a 135i.

I have managed to get the speed adjustable assistance working in a more meaningful manner than the hit and miss that was previously the case. The weight is the same as without Servotronic in the quarter turn either side of straight ahead but the servo assistance kicks in past there and takes off the additional load as you add the additional three quarters turn. The reason for the additional weight is the amount of caster built into a 135i (approx 7 degrees stock) which means you are actually lifting the car as you are turning the wheel. It is accentuated with mine as I have 8.3 degrees.

The 135i pump is smaller than that on the M3 and 1M and I assume this means that the hydraulic pressure is less and so more human effort is required.

The new steering weight is not as light as a standard 135i and probably heavier than the sports mode on a M3 or 1M, but not un wieldy as with no Servotronic. This only really relates to parking speeds, other than that it is a little lighter up to 30 kph but faster than that feels the same as before the Servotronic function was active.

The next thing is to thank the author of NCS Dummy and the member who
posted a 1M FSW_PSW dump file on this forum. The dump file enabled me look at the difference between the instructions of a 135i and 1M and trace down the ecu other than JBBF which needed to be re coded. NCS Dummy helped find what was required in the Kombi ecu.

What came up was that the following instructions were active on a 1M and inactive on a 135i. I coded them in as active and this settled down the rather on/off Servotronic assistance I previously had. (I was aware that the Servotronic function was working after I had coded in the option as when I disconnected the wiring I would get a fault come up and there was a current running to the valve but it fluctuated wildly).

ST_MDRV_ALIVE_MONITOR
aktiv
ST_MDRV_CSUM_MONITOR
aktiv
ST_MDRV_ID_MONITOR
aktiv

So there you have it, add the option $216, recode the whole car, alter JBBF to Servotronic aktiv and make the changes to the kombi ecu as above.

It is not as assisted as a 1M but it is a lot better than none at all.

There are a host of ST_ and other instructions in the JBBF ecu which are steering related and they are the same between a 135i and a 1M. These may adjust the level of assistance but I am not sure I want to tamper to much with these. They may only relate to activ steering or electric steering. I am happy with the way it is.

I am not going to put in a big warning about doing this at your risk as I have found the ecus' to be remarkably resilient to cock ups. These are only minor changes and I also found that NCS Expert will not allow you to make alterations to instructions that are not reasonable.
Appreciate 8
John_01232.00
AlexN171.50
Mmike0.00
tetsuo1111224.00
lab_rat394.50
      01-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #59
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
awesome! Im very happy this thread has become a comprehensive source for swap info. Maybe we could push for a sticky! lol.

on a side note, i believe the 1M/M3 steering rack has a faster ratio than non ///M models. I noticed a difference between my 135i when i did the swap. It took less steering angle input to turn the car vs the standard rack.

I never bothered with the coding but seeing how everyone has figured it out, I may do it next time.

sticky? lol
      01-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #60
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Muppet awesome work.

I can look to have mine installed.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:29 AM   #61
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///M

on a side note, i believe the 1M/M3 steering rack has a faster ratio than non ///M models. I noticed a difference between my 135i when i did the swap. It took less steering angle input to turn the car vs the standard rack.
This is the only reason why people, including myself, did or are doing the swap.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #62
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

This is a quote from the E92 M3 Training manual, found here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/BMW-M3...nformation.pdf

Steering
The design of the rack-and-pinion steering system is the same as the series E92. The average variable overall ratio is 12.5 and hence sports-oriented (16 in the series E92). In the M3, the steering force support is controlled by the MSS60 via the Servotronic valve. A speed dependent characteristic curve is stored in the MSS60 for this purpose. With the MDrive menu option, a second and even more sports oriented characteristic curve can be activated (see the chapter on MDrive).

So, it seems there are two different assist curves for the steering.

Muppet, is there any way for you to find out which one you sourced from the 1M? I would certainly prefer the "more sports oriented" one if given a choice. I had an 09 Z4 35i and the steering was just dead, numb, and totally disconnected unless you pushed the "sport" button. Then there was some feeling in the steering. However, I think that car had full electric PS, which would explain a lot of the numbness. Now I'm wondering If I should just stick with the current rack and hydraulics only?

Last edited by drwillb; 01-18-2017 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #63
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

I want to do the swap on mine as well. Anyone in the US is able to get the servotronic working. I'm wondering if there are any coding differences.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:43 AM   #64
Muppet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
This is a quote from the E92 M3 Training manual, found here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/BMW-M3...nformation.pdf

Steering
The design of the rack-and-pinion steering system is the same as the series E92. The average variable overall ratio is 12.5 and hence sports-oriented (16 in the series E92). In the M3, the steering force support is controlled by the MSS60 via the Servotronic valve. A speed dependent characteristic curve is stored in the MSS60 for this purpose. With the MDrive menu option, a second and even more sports oriented characteristic curve can be activated (see the chapter on MDrive).

So, it seems there are two different assist curves for the steering.

Muppet, is there any way for you to find out which one you sourced from the 1M? I would certainly prefer the "more sports oriented" one if given a choice. I had an 09 Z4 35i and the steering was just dead, numb, and totally disconnected unless you pushed the "sport" button. Then there was some feeling in the steering. However, I think that car had full electric PS, which would explain a lot of the numbness. Now I'm wondering If I should just stick with the current rack and hydraulics only?
I understand there is only one setting programmed in the 1M ie no other "sport" setting which effects the steering. The system is a full hydraulic set up. The voltage that is sent to the valve comes from the JBBF ecu rather than the DME in a M3 which has varying voltages for different assistance. I could find no lines of instructions which related to different settings but as stated in my previous post there are some ST_ instructions in the JBBF ecu which may enable adjustment of the level of assistance at different speeds, but I think these only apply to active steering.

I have to say I am happy with the set up at present. It has eliminated the standard 135i lightness at low speed and does transmit more road feel as you would expect from a quicker rack. I am pretty sure this would be the "sports" oriented setting as I could not see a mass marketed car having this weight of effort. Maybe a 1M owner would like to chip in.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #65
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Muppet, thanks again for your reverse engineering work.

Would you be able to maybe create a DIY post with concise info/steps now that you've worked through the process?
      02-11-2017, 04:58 AM   #66
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep

How did you guys got your steering wheel straight ? The tab of the M3 rack is clocked compared to the OEM rack.
Is the adjustment range of the tie rods enough to get it straight ?
Appreciate 0