BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #111
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Not at all. I'm probably the biggest proponent in the world for actually properly fixing the HPFP once and for all so that all x35i vehicles are safe and reliable as they should be.

The auto industry standard for powertrain components is 100,000 miles. That's what we should all expect of the non-service items. If Porsche, Audi, Ford, GM and many others can develop HPFPs that last 100K miles then BMW should be able to also. You don't see a high failure rate on the 550i HPFPs so you certainly should not accept HPFPs on x35i models repeatedly failing at 5k, 10K, 20K, etc. This deal is going on six model years and still no properly engineered solution exists.

Nothing good can come from the negative publicity BMW is receiving from many media souces for their failure to correct the x35i HPFP failures. BMW customers paid for a safe, reliable x35i vehicle but many did not receive what they paid for.
I'm with you that BMW needs to fix this issue permanently.
But, something good did come from all the negative press.
We did get a "voluntary" recall and most #35i owners should have had their replacements done.

Since the recall I have noticed a lot less postings on HPFP failures.
So that is a good sign.
Time will tell of course, and it's a good thing we have a BMW extended warranty on the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #112
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If the "unvoluntary recall" and 446 HPFP actually fixed the problem we'd all be happy campers but it hasn't. Reports of the 446 HPFPs failing are popping up more each week just like we saw with the 881, 943 and the 933 HPFPs. The fact that BMW is replacing so many pumps is why you don't see a bunch of new threads but people are still posting in older threads and "stickies" that the HPFPs on new 2011 model N55 engines are failing and vehicles that have had the 446 pump and software updates are also failing.

Since BMW never releases figures no one knows what the true failure rate is but BMW estimated ~30% on the 2007-2010 models and their estimates seem to always be very low. The extended warranty is on the HPFP only and while nice it doesn't address the safety and reliabliability issues, let alone the inconvenience and loss in vehicle value. In the 3-series forum you will see that some N54 owners whos vehicles are out of warranty are being forced to pay for the software upgrade in order to get the "free" HPFP under the recall... If you don't pay for the software upgrade they won't install the new 446 HPFP.

Hmmm...I'm not seeing these current/post recall pump failing posts.
Please post a link to these numerous posts, I don't see them, especially the N55 failures.

Last edited by RPM90; 06-19-2011 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #113
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Any "My N55 HPFP failed!!!" posts get an automatic 5 stars. Mucho bs sure to ensue.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #114
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

First 2 post are the same person. the 3rd one was from a random dude that never confirmed or denied that his hpfp failed and the last 2 post are about the n54...
      06-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #115
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The first links are N55 HPFP failures and the last are 446 failures - as requested. It took all of two minutes to find these and I have read others. It is what it is.

I recall when Jason banned me for 30 days for stating the fact that N55 engines were experiencing HPFP failures- which they were and continue to do. Hating the messanger does not change reality. Hopefully BMW will eventually deliver a properly engineered solution but until the majority of x35i vehicles can go 100K miles on a HPFP, BMW hasn't delivered the safety or reliability owners deserve and paid for.
Well it does appear that the n55 does not suffer as much as the n54.
Update 31k miles and still doing fine while running 16psi
      06-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #116
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
The first links are N55 HPFP failures and the last are 446 failures - as requested. It took all of two minutes to find these and I have read others. It is what it is.

I recall when Jason banned me for 30 days for stating the fact that N55 engines were experiencing HPFP failures- which they were and continue to do. Hating the messenger does not change reality.

Hopefully BMW will eventually deliver a properly engineered solution but until the majority of x35i vehicles can go 100K miles on a HPFP, BMW hasn't delivered the safety or reliability owners deserve and paid for.
All Hype. Statistically insignificant. A few failures means absolutely nothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #117
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

From what I understand.... BMW came out with a new pump design starting with March, 2010 production. The new HDP (hoch druck pump (nee.. HPFP, as we Americans call it...) is made by Conti. The old ones which had a high failure rate were made by Bosch. Most new replacement pumps are remanufactured from what I understand too.

IF your car was made before March, 2010 - you most likely have a Bosch pump. I am told (by my German tuner) that it is just a matter of WHEN and not IF it will fail.

Since most N55 production started around March, 2010... they seem to be ok. There were some N55's built prior to March, starting in Dec, 2009 though - I think those were early production models though and maybe press cars.

But the new Conti pumps seem to be holding up well and last even when the engine has mods. So... time will tell. Lets not panic here guys.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #118
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
Well it does appear that the n55 does not suffer as much as the n54.
Update 31k miles and still doing fine while running 16psi
16psi
nice one.

im at 22K no fuel pump problem - knock on wood.
Ernie i'm catch'n up to ur miles.
      06-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #119
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

We've been through this before but I'll state the obvious rebuttal once again: "That's it?"

If we were talking N54's, the list of threads would be halfway to the moon. See my point? 2,000 fail and it's an epidemic. 2 or 3 fail and it's not.

EDIT: the last two are N54 related, so go ahead scratch those off the list as they're off topic.

Last edited by Brandon26pdx; 06-20-2011 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #120
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiE90 View Post
16psi
nice one.

im at 22K no fuel pump problem - knock on wood.
Ernie i'm catch'n up to ur miles.
Damn, I better plan another road trip then...
      06-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #121
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whatever stops the tears, darlin...

BMW's estimated 30% failure rate is probably a damn lie too, right?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447262

If denial could cure the N54/N55 HPFP failures, the issue would have been resolved years ago.
I'm going to state something else that should be obvious: this is why they banned you for 30 days. For whatever reason you seem bent on purposefully misrepresenting and misconstruing the facts for (I assume) no other reason but to grind your own axe and annoy people. (You should seriously consider going into politics.) You know darn well that for whatever reason, nowhere near 30% of the N55's have had their HPFP's failed or replaced, so I don't see the reason for spinning it that way. If you're referring to N54's, you're off on a different topic and trying to combine them as the "same thing" is disingenuous at minimum.

Last edited by Brandon26pdx; 06-20-2011 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #122
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
From what I understand.... BMW came out with a new pump design starting with March, 2010 production. The new HDP (hoch druck pump (nee.. HPFP, as we Americans call it...) is made by Conti. The old ones which had a high failure rate were made by Bosch. Most new replacement pumps are remanufactured from what I understand too.

IF your car was made before March, 2010 - you most likely have a Bosch pump. I am told (by my German tuner) that it is just a matter of WHEN and not IF it will fail.

Since most N55 production started around March, 2010... they seem to be ok. There were some N55's built prior to March, starting in Dec, 2009 though - I think those were early production models though and maybe press cars.

But the new Conti pumps seem to be holding up well and last even when the engine has mods. So... time will tell. Lets not panic here guys.

Dackel
Track Rat should dump his N54 and get an N55 built after March 2010. Maybe he'll stop crying and spread some good news about how reliable the N55 is.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #123
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #124
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I'm starting to get a long crank here or there....
      06-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #125
RPM90
Major General
Rep

The first one, the car was in service on 7/10.
Could it be one of the N55 cars that still had the old pump?
Possibly.

Second on page 15, doesn't show a second car with a failure, so I'm not sure why you listed it.
Did I miss something?

Third one we have NO idea if it was a pump failure or not.
BTW, it too may have been an early build.

Fourth one, no nothing about an N55 failure. The N54's got new pumps.

Fifth one is another N54 failure with the old pump. They were replaced with a 446. I don't see where it says it was the newest pump that failed.

So, there is 1 N55 HPFP failure, and that one may have been built with the older pump, maybe.
If that owner would tell us what the failed pump number is it would be helpful.

The only consistent thing on all those threads is your comments about how the HPFP problem persists even on a number of N55's, yet it's really only 1 for now.

Much too early with too little failure rate to be so positive that even the N55 will have HPFP failures.

You keep saying that no one knows the true number of failures, but you make it sound as if you do.

I'm not ready to say that the newest pump is the absolute fix, more time and miles will tell us.
But so far it's been doing fine in the N54, and with the N55 you've shown 1.
Shouldn't be any sure, that would be ideal. However that one could have had the old pump, or it could simply be a failure and that's it.
If an N55 AC compressor went out would you say it's an epidemic?
At least lets wait until we get more failures before exclaiming that the sky is falling.

Do you have any more posts to illustrate this ongoing high failure rate on the N55?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #126
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
^^^^ Lots of words but the facts have not changed.

Until BMW delivers an N54/N55 HPFP that lasts 100K miles for the majority of owners, this safety defect goes unresolved. 100K miles is the typical auto powertrain design standard and what many consumers expect as a minimum from their purchase.

I fully understand that some folks can't deal with the reality that N54/N55 powered models suffer from the HPFP safety defect and significant reliability issues. All you need to do is read the safety defect complaints by actual BMW owners filed at NHTSA.gov for the facts. These safety complaints include N55 and 2011 models. These issues should not exist. They don't exist in other BMW models but they do in N54/N55 models. Owners paid for a safe, reliable vehicle but that is not what all owners received.

Instead of hating the messenger, your efforts should be directed at demanding BMW deliver a properly engineered solution to the HPFP safety defect and reliability issues in the x35i models which continues even after five model years.
The only one who seems to not be able to deal with it is you my friend lol.

On a side note, today marks my 1 year anniversary with my baby. 31285 miles, about 28k of those with a tune. Over 100 runs down the 1/4 mile, redline daily, 100+ degrees, over 140mph on more than one occasion. Been to California and back, Vegas and back.

I can see this car passing 100k with no problems. DEAL WITH IT.
      06-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #127
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
^^^^ Lots of words but the facts have not changed.

Until BMW delivers an N54/N55 HPFP that lasts 100K miles for the majority of owners, this safety defect goes unresolved. 100K miles is the typical auto powertrain design standard and what many consumers expect as a minimum from their purchase.

I fully understand that some folks can't deal with the reality that N54/N55 powered models suffer from the HPFP safety defect and significant reliability issues. All you need to do is read the safety defect complaints by actual BMW owners filed at NHTSA.gov for the facts. These safety complaints include N55 and 2011 models. These issues should not exist. They don't exist in other BMW models but they do in N54/N55 models. Owners paid for a safe, reliable vehicle but that is not what all owners received.

Instead of hating the messenger, your efforts should be directed at demanding BMW deliver a properly engineered solution to the HPFP safety defect and reliability issues in the x35i models which continues even after five model years.
A lot of words that were needed to address your contention that N55's are suffering huge HPFP failures. My words to express that you have not provided the proper evidence to back you claim.

I'm not hating the messenger. I'm questioning the messengers data and claims. So far your claims are unfounded.
If calling you to task is "hating", then that's your interpretive problem.

Some people have claimed that an HPFP failure is somehow a "safety" problem. That's a stretch. Even all those complaints filed with the NHTSA, they have not decided to issue a "safety recall". Why do you suppose they have made that decision?

You still haven't provided evidence of the supposed numerous N55 failures.
Yet you keep making the claim.
So what reality are we not dealing with exactly?

People have demanded and asked BMW for a solution. They finally gave one and are still backing it with an extended warranty on the HPFP. The complaints have severely dropped, at least for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #128
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

As far as I can tell, the only "evidence" he's ever brought on the matter is a very brief jumble of forum threads, which have already been properly discounted and torn to shreds numerous times when put under scrutiny. (And we all know without question there would be piles of anecdotal evidence in forums like these if it were really some huge problem.) So then what he does, instead of posting NHTSA info or data which would actually pursue his position, is he makes it a personal thing by saying people are "hating the messenger" or some other nonsense in that vain. No, I think everyone here questions the content of the message more than anything due to lack of supporting evidence, so I'm sure we'd all really appreciate it if he'd put that toy back on the shelf.

Simply put, his claims and assertions lack credibility and don't pass the sniff test.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #129
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Was at a BMW event at their NA HQ and the question of fuel pumps came up with one of their technicians. The answer was that BMW originally saw a high failure rate with the first gen pumps and had to replace tens of thousands of pumps. The newest version which is in the N55s, the N54 "s" engines and in used to replace any failed pumps has only had a few failures (less than 5) to date. They felt that they had solved the problem.

Later someone else asked about breaking engine bolts and exploding S54 engines and a different BMW person shifted into corporate speak with "we don't know anything about that, and beside that's a technical question and we have no engineers here". I think the tech was being honest and the spokesperson was trying to steer clear of a whole new minefield.
      06-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #130
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
About a week ago started to get some long cranks upon start-up. Then a random "Service Requirement" (Car on lift) warning showed up, even though I am not due for service. I have 11,200 miles on my car. Might be my fuel pump or my Braille battery, who knows. Trying to get an appointment with the dealer to see what's up.
      06-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #131
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0