BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Gene Hanscomb
Rep
Drives:

Driving with Exercise Shoes

I'm the owner of a lightly modded 2008 135i. I'm also a bit overweight (approximately 150 lbs too much). To try and lead a better lifestyle I bought a pair of Sketcher "Shape-Ups" exercise shoes. These are relatively new shoes that include a parabolic curve along the sole to promote fitness while walking.
The problem arises when I try and drive in these things. At first it was awkward and I couldn't brake on time and I smashed my car into the back wall of my garage (destroying my wife's bonzai tree and stand). I practiced braking in the parking lot of the YMCA and now I can stop almost when I intend to (within 5-10 feet) however my clutching is erratic and I find myself grinding gears, mistakenly launching the car (I got a ticket for "racing" last week, $570 and an upcoming court date) and stalling the car out. I'm serious about getting in shape but I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. Does anyone sell a pedal adaptation kit for these kind of shoes? Maybe some sort of special seat foam that would permit me to lean back? I'm thinking out loud and open to suggestions. I need an answer quick before winter weather complicates things further. I know what you are thinking but it is too cold to drive barefoot. TIA!

As an aside, one of the reasons I'm trying to lose weight is that I want to wear jeans. My sweatpants are pretty slippery on the leather seats so I've had to install seat covers with a rubberized center portion to keep me planted. Even when I can fit into jeans I'll probably keep the covers because I like how they keep me in a good driving position.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
crew09
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 xdrive

Garage List
those look really rough to drive in. it might be easier to just carry another pair of shoes in the car for driving. i do this during the winter so that i don't have to drive with my snow boots on
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
TONYH215
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

ummm, you cant bring extra shoes to drive with?? Theres nothing wrong with the car, so I wouldnt change anything on the car. Just an extra set of shoes in the car and some odor eaters for em' to keep the car fresh.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

I would think you could roll onto the throttle ULTRA-smooth with those.

I will buy several pairs. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Gene Hanscomb
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONYH215 View Post
ummm, you cant bring extra shoes to drive with?? Theres nothing wrong with the car, so I wouldnt change anything on the car. Just an extra set of shoes in the car and some odor eaters for em' to keep the car fresh.
I wish it were that simple. Because of my job, I can't keep anything in the car. I've thought about a duffle bag but that defeats the purpose of my office regulations.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Gene Hanscomb
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew09 View Post
those look really rough to drive in. it might be easier to just carry another pair of shoes in the car for driving. i do this during the winter so that i don't have to drive with my snow boots on
Cool. I didn't realize they made exercise snow boots. As I mentioned to the other poster, I have a work restriction dictating the extra pair of shoes. I wonder if they make these shoes with detachable soles. Otherwise, I think I need to modify the pedals.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

What if you just wore really thick, warm socks? Would that be enough to combat the cold if you were to take your shoes off?

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

There is no way this isn't a troll post.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
Gene Hanscomb
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
What if you just wore really thick, warm socks? Would that be enough to combat the cold if you were to take your shoes off?
Honestly, that's what I've been doing but with the snow comes wet weather. I might stick with it though. I don't really want to modify the pedals because in the summer I wear sandals.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
newlayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jeep w/ BMW emblems. W.I.P.

lmfao. nice OP
      12-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
WonJunkie
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Hey Gene. I'm really glad to hear your approach to losing weight. I know it's a tough journey but our one Lord, Jesus Christ, the son of God, will guide you. You will succeed if you let yourself find Jesus.

Those are some great looking shoes. I say that because I wish I could wear shoes. When I was born my two legs were fused together as a birth defect. I'm roughly 28 now and thanks to some lengthy legal malpractice and libel suits I've been able to get my 1. You may not think being called a merman is libel but if you find the right attorney and the right judge... nevermind, that's not part of this discussion. I'm unable to wear shoes because of my unifoot. If you were to take your foot and place it against a mirror that basically resembles my birth defect. I have working knees and hips. So I had my 1 brought into a custom shop for disabilities and they fabricated larger pedals for my needs.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this in terms of your original question but I just wanted to say that keep a strong belief in our one true almighty savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be wearing jeans in no time.

Last edited by WonJunkie; 12-21-2009 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
OK...I applaud your efforts to help yourself get into better physical shape. That's a challenge that many of us deal with on a daily basis. BUT not being in control of your vehicle is dangerous to both you and others. Think about it very seriously. I don't know what sort of job doesn't allow you to carry anything in the car with you (that seems bizarre to me) but how about leaving your exercise shoes at your destination, wearing shoes that you can drive in and then and changing into your sketchers you get there?
May I ask what your job is that won't let you carry anything?

Anyway, best of luck with your exercise program.......be safe and don't drive in those shoes.

Tom

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
Gene Hanscomb
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
OK...I applaud your efforts to help yourself get into better physical shape. That's a challenge that many of us deal with on a daily basis. BUT not being in control of your vehicle is dangerous to both you and others. Think about it very seriously. I don't know what sort of job doesn't allow you to carry anything in the car with you (that seems bizarre to me) but how about leaving your exercise shoes at your destination, wearing shoes that you can drive in and then and changing into your sketchers you get there?
May I ask what your job is that won't let you carry anything?

Anyway, best of luck with your exercise program.......be safe and don't drive in those shoes.

Tom
I work at a cash for gold clearinghouse. They pat me down every evening and search my car and person. I have to get in a jumpsuit just to do my job. Technically, I can have stuff in my car but it makes the search last longer. It hasn't really been dangerous so far except for my wife's novelty tree (which is a bigger deal to her than to me).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
Gene Hanscomb
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonJunkie View Post
Hey Gene. I'm really glad to hear your approach to losing weight. I know it's a tough journey but our one Lord, Jesus Christ, the son of God, will guide you. You will succeed if you let yourself find Jesus.

Those are some great looking shoes. I say that because I wish I could wear shoes. When I was born my two legs were fused together as a birth defect. I'm roughly 28 now and thanks to some lengthy legal malpractice and libel suits I've been able to get my 1. You may not think being called a merman is libel but if you find the right attorney and the right judge... nevermind, that's not part of this discussion. I'm unable to wear shoes because of my unifoot. If you were to take your foot and place it against a mirror that basically resembles my birth defect. I have working knees and hips. So I had my 1 brought into a custom shop for disabilities and they fabricated larger pedals for my needs. They also crafted a harness and seating arrangement for my service pet, a red panda, that fits snugly in the passenger seat.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this in terms of your original question but I just wanted to say that keep a strong belief in our one true almighty savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be wearing jeans in no time.
What are you talking about? Do you wear shoes or just a single shoe?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

We have a late entry for thread of the year.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
Leilani
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Crimson Red 128i

Wow. I can't imagine those shoes being difficult to drive in, as I did fine with stiletto boots in my old car that had a manual transmission. Sorry I don't have any advice to offer you on this one, except just wearing socks, as already suggested by 1speedbike.

2008 128i Convertible
Crimson Red - Black Top - Savannah Beige Boston Leather - Gray Poplar Trim
Step - Premium - Sport - Cold Weather - Navigation - Comfort Access - Xenon - iPod/USB
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #17
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Ok I am totally lost. If they do check you when you leave..why the hell would they have to check your car...And if you really wanted to steal shit you can just put it in your bumm. Or maybe you can modify those shoes to have a secret compartment like Get Smart and the shoe phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #18
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I believe we have been (poorly) trolled
Attached Images

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #19
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank772 View Post
And if you really wanted to steal shit you can just put it in your bumm.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #20
WonJunkie
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Hanscomb View Post
What are you talking about? Do you wear shoes or just a single shoe?
I have an ortho boot and two arm braces. I have to use the boot because my ankles are undeveloped. There are parts of the bone that aren't any stronger than the common cartilage. Here's my boot.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #21
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I have nothing to add, I just want to get in so I can observe this train wreck from a good seat.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #22
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Sorry about the racing ticket. $570 is a hefty fine for a hefty person. You can probably write it off next year as I hear Obama is putting aside an additional $2 trillion in stimulus funds for weight loss.

Good look with your goals. Not only is all that weight unhealthy I'd hate to see the number it's doing to your leather seats.
Appreciate 0