BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
hunginator
Lieutenant
hunginator's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Are These Common Maintenance Items?

Hey everyone,

Just returned from an oil change appointment with my local dealer. I've been dealing with this dealer for many years and I enjoy the service I receive, especially from my SA. Today, my SA advised me that the technician noted the following items to be addressed:

1. Oil pan gasket is leaking
2. The front 'thrust rod bushings' have minor play

My car is a 2012 BMW 135i w/ DCT. It has approx 123,000 kms (76,400 mls).

Are these maintenance items common for these cars?

Also, they mentioned that my front brake pads are at 2mm. Is this bad? I have another appointment two weeks from now to get all of these items addressed but just wondering what all of your thoughts/input are.

Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
NorthernDancer
Major
206
Rep
1,109
Posts

Drives: 325iX & 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa On Canada

iTrader: (3)

oil pan gasket: are you seeing drops on the ground? If not, replacement is not urgent.
thrust bushing: no comment; MMT will know & hopefully answer
2mm brakes: really, really low. Need to be changed ASAP

I too know the Ottawa dealers well; I take what they say with a grain of salt and, like you, I ask around for 2nd opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
hunginator
Lieutenant
hunginator's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
oil pan gasket: are you seeing drops on the ground? If not, replacement is not urgent. Haven't noticed so most likely not. But I will take a peek at the ground where I park tonight.
thrust bushing: no comment; MMT will know & hopefully answer
2mm brakes: really, really low. Need to be changed ASAP Changing front pads it is!

I too know the Ottawa dealers well; I take what they say with a grain of salt and, like you, I ask around for 2nd opinion.
Thank you very much for your input! I deal with Otto's BMW and my SA has always been very transparent and honest with me and he's probably one of the bigger reasons I service at the dealer. But, I agree, it doesn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion as I know that it is the tech who usually communicates the recommendations to the SA.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
NorthernDancer
Major
206
Rep
1,109
Posts

Drives: 325iX & 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa On Canada

iTrader: (3)

You'll need new rotors too
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
hunginator
Lieutenant
hunginator's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
You'll need new rotors too
yes, that's right!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
BimmerAg's Avatar
United_States
373
Rep
515
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Be aware that you may not notice any oil dripping on the ground because it gets caught by the belly pan. You may need to remove the belly pan and inspect the upper side to see how much the oil pan gasket is leaking.

Also, AutoAnything has 20% off EBC brake products if you're ok with non-BMW parts. I've read good things about their utilimax rotors and will likely swap to those when mine need replacement.
__________________
2011 BMW 135i ///M-Sport, DCT
MHD Stage 1, cp-e Charge Pipe, H&R Front sway bar, BMW performance diffuser
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
hunginator
Lieutenant
hunginator's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
Be aware that you may not notice any oil dripping on the ground because it gets caught by the belly pan. You may need to remove the belly pan and inspect the upper side to see how much the oil pan gasket is leaking.

Also, AutoAnything has 20% off EBC brake products if you're ok with non-BMW parts. I've read good things about their utilimax rotors and will likely swap to those when mine need replacement.
Great suggestion! The dealer will take a look at my oil pan in a couple weeks time. I just wanted to make sure that the oil pan gasket leakage is indeed a 'regular' problem for our cars and it sounds like it is!

Regarding the brakes, I'll probably just end up sticking with OEM hardware.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:57 AM   #8
NorthernDancer
Major
206
Rep
1,109
Posts

Drives: 325iX & 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa On Canada

iTrader: (3)

Oil pan gasket: yes I forgot about the belly pan collecting any oil leaking. I would not authorize repair at this time but would ask to be shown the bottom of the belly pan.

Thrust rod bushings have minor play. Key here is "minor" so this can wait too. Again hopefully someone else can jump in here and tell us what exactly they are.

Therefore, you should contact your SA and tell him that you only want the brakes done at this time so he/she can block off just the time to do this work. Just the brakes (assuming both front and back) most likely will be in the $1000-$1500 range. And you're right to go OEM at Otto's.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
hunginator
Lieutenant
hunginator's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Oil pan gasket: yes I forgot about the belly pan collecting any oil leaking. I would not authorize repair at this time but would ask to be shown the bottom of the belly pan.

Thrust rod bushings have minor play. Key here is "minor" so this can wait too. Again hopefully someone else can jump in here and tell us what exactly they are.

Therefore, you should contact your SA and tell him that you only want the brakes done at this time so he/she can block off just the time to do this work. Just the brakes (assuming both front and back) most likely will be in the $1000-$1500 range. And you're right to go OEM at Otto's.
Thank you again for the advice. I am not at all mechanically inclined so it's good to be able to rely on the expertise of others like yourselves.

I'll ask for the belly pan to be shown to me to ensure oil leakage. I may even wait on replacing the thrust rod bushings until I start feeling shuddering or vibrations. Right now, the car feels perfectly good. When I start feeling the slightest of vibrations then I'll have them check up on it again.

Also, if someone can chime in on this... I did some research on thrust rod bushings and it seems that some people are recommending to just change out the control arms altogether. If I do this, I would most likely go with the M3 kit as many people have recommended. This should result in better steering feel and barely increases NVH. Thoughts?

I'll be doing just the front brakes and I think it'll be around $750... that's for pads, rotors, sensors, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3008
Rep
4,997
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
Thank you again for the advice. I am not at all mechanically inclined so it's good to be able to rely on the expertise of others like yourselves.

I'll ask for the belly pan to be shown to me to ensure oil leakage. I may even wait on replacing the thrust rod bushings until I start feeling shuddering or vibrations. Right now, the car feels perfectly good. When I start feeling the slightest of vibrations then I'll have them check up on it again.

Also, if someone can chime in on this... I did some research on thrust rod bushings and it seems that some people are recommending to just change out the control arms altogether. If I do this, I would most likely go with the M3 kit as many people have recommended. This should result in better steering feel and barely increases NVH. Thoughts?

I'll be doing just the front brakes and I think it'll be around $750... that's for pads, rotors, sensors, etc.
Everything sounds pretty reasonable. Oil pan gasket, replace it before the oil drip ruins all the plastics underneath.

The torsion struts are also pretty common. I upgraded my own to the M3 version. Actually, look for the TRW version of the arms, significantly cheaper, and they are the exact same as the OE version, just the "M" emblem is ground off. May want to do the front lower control arms in the M3 version at the same time.

ECS sells a complete kit. This is about half what the OE parts cost.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-trw-part...1102283577mkt/

Will need an alignment after, and adds about 3/4 deg neg camber.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
NorthernDancer
Major
206
Rep
1,109
Posts

Drives: 325iX & 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa On Canada

iTrader: (3)

I will always agree with what MMT recommends. To add; you will need a BMW garage that will work with non OEM parts. I know of 1 in Perth, 1 in Stittsville, Little Italy and Buckingham PQ. I've used 3 of the 4 and know that the 4th is highly recommended too. MMT should also know garages that do good work on BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
hunginator
Lieutenant
hunginator's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
I will always agree with what MMT recommends. To add; you will need a BMW garage that will work with non OEM parts. I know of 1 in Perth, 1 in Stittsville, Little Italy and Buckingham PQ. I've used 3 of the 4 and know that the 4th is highly recommended too. MMT should also know garages that do good work on BMW's.
Care to share the names of these garages? I know of two that I will reach out to - Autovation and RPM Motorworks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #13
NorthernDancer
Major
206
Rep
1,109
Posts

Drives: 325iX & 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa On Canada

iTrader: (3)

Perth-Randy Lentz garage
Stittsville-Autovation
Little Italy-Young Street Garage
Buckingham-Clinique de l'auto importée
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
hunginator
Lieutenant
hunginator's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Perth-Randy Lentz garage
Stittsville-Autovation
Little Italy-Young Street Garage
Buckingham-Clinique de l'auto importée
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #15
N55darksoul
Private First Class
N55darksoul's Avatar
70
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: 2012 - 135i
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mars

iTrader: (0)

Here is some information on brakes....Question: did you hear any screeching or scraping from your brakes like the information below suggests?

"If you don’t check your brake pad thickness visually (you can see them through the rim spokes), don’t worry—the pads will let you know when they need to be replaced. Brake pads have small metal “hairs” built into the base, so when you pass that 3-millimeter level, the metal will scrape against the brake disc with a telltale screech every time you slow to a stop. If you happen to ignore the scraping, the next thing you’ll hear is the horrific grating of the pad base against the disc, which means you need to get to a BMW mechanic immediately "
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
Malm
Enlisted Member
Canada
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2008 AW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Old thread but similar question.

Does anyone know if Duss Brothers would install the ECS kit?

I've used them before for OEM stuff and they were excellent. I got the same recommendation as OP when I went to Otto's for mt air bag recall - front thrust rod bushings.

Edit - actually, how hard is this to do yourself? I will look in to that as well. Also, I notice the ECS site shows the kit linked above does not in fact fit my car, '08 135i. Can someone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #17
NorthernDancer
Major
206
Rep
1,109
Posts

Drives: 325iX & 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa On Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malm View Post
Old thread but similar question.

Does anyone know if Duss Brothers would install the ECS kit?

I've used them before for OEM stuff and they were excellent. I got the same recommendation as OP when I went to Otto's for mt air bag recall - front thrust rod bushings.

Edit - actually, how hard is this to do yourself? I will look in to that as well. Also, I notice the ECS site shows the kit linked above does not in fact fit my car, '08 135i. Can someone confirm?
Something strange; there is no way someone should determine your ftrb's need attention when doing the air bag recall. Just had my air bag done-tech sat behind steering wheel for 10-15 minutes and was done. How would they know something under car needed attention? Did you get an oil change too?

I am pretty sure Duss Bros will only work with OEM parts. Have you seen any of the DIY's on doing brakes? I get most of my stuff from Bav Auto.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST