BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
mack128i
1er
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i e82

Super Sprint muffler vs tuned resignator vs stock muffler

Short and sweet here...

Currently running OEM muffler on 2013 128i...

Looking to either replace the OEM with a Super Sprint muffler and run the OEM resonator and cats.

-OR-

Run a section 2 tuned resonator with the OEM muffler...

What I am looking for is simply a nice soundingj, low toned, burble..and want to do this mod now since I can do this without having to retune...currently running stage 1...

Thanks in advance for the feedback...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack128i View Post
Short and sweet here...

Looking to either replace the OEM with a Super Sprint muffler and run the OEM resonator and cats.

-OR-

What I am looking for is simply a nice soundingj, low toned, burble..and want to do this mod now since I can do this without having to retune...currently running stage 1...

Personally, I'd start with the muffler (although more expensive), and work backwards from there till you get the sound you want. Supersprint usually does a great job with ensuring no resonances/drone, their muffler would be designed to work with stock components everywhere else.

Just my opinion, but it seems the more logical way to changing out parts in the exhaust ie muffler -> resonator -> header. Most people don't do it this way because the muffler alone is pretty costly, and you can get more "sound" perhaps from yanking the resonators but I would guess there is more chance for droning/resonance when doing it like that.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:
Short and sweet here...

-OR-

Personally, I'd start with the muffler (although more expensive), and work backwards from there till you get the sound you want. Supersprint usually does a great job with ensuring no resonances/drone, their muffler would be designed to work with stock components everywhere else.

Just my opinion, but it seems the more logical way to changing out parts in the exhaust ie muffler -> resonator -> header. Most people don't do it this way because the muffler alone is pretty costly, and you can get more "sound" perhaps from yanking the resonators but I would guess there is more chance for droning/resonance when doing it like that.
That's exactly what I needed to hear; any idea on what I could expect with muffler only swap?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
That's exactly what I needed to hear; any idea on what I could expect with muffler only swap?
Really depends on the muffler - the BMW performance exhaust for the 128i is just a muffler, and produces some nice aggressive results. Swapping in a 135i muffler is the other end of the scale, very subtle, adding some volume/deeper sound below 2700 rpm and that's it.

Supersprint in my experience is a quality product (albeit expensive), and their "street" systems are usually a bit conservative but provide a nice deep tone. But it does depend on the application. Best way is to do research and try and find videos of the exact muffler you're looking for. Most manufacturers do have videos of their own as reference....
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Blacksport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Magnaflow cat-back exhaust...looks & sounds fantastic...I'm running AA headers & only the lower cats, so it should sound softer with stock exhaust manifold...
'13 128i 6sp, '19 Cherokee Ltd 3.2, '17 Ducati SuperSport S Gone But Not Forgotten: 74 Z28, 77 Datsun 280Z (1st 5sp in US), 92 Nissan 300ZTT, 94 MB SL600 V12, 01 M Roadster, 66 Yamaha TwinJet 100, 70 Suzuki X6 Hustler Race: GP/FP Spitfire SCCA, Merlyn FF SCCA, Mazda RX7 IMSA GTU, Yamaha FZR 400 AMA.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksport View Post
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust...looks & sounds fantastic...I'm running AA headers & only the lower cats, so it should sound softer with stock exhaust manifold...
I've seen some feedback on here with guys running Magnaflow, may check into that also. How satisfied are you with the way it sounds?

I know a lot love the Super Sprint.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
Venuswolfninja
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

I’ve been running the Super Sprint muffler and non-res section 2 for a few years. Absolutely love it. I’m in the fourty+ age range and don’t like loud or annoying sounding things. This set up is perfect in my opinion. Plus, if you wait till Cyber Monday, they go on sale for 50% off 😉
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2018, 06:29 AM   #8
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venuswolfninja View Post
I’ve been running the Super Sprint muffler and non-res section 2 for a few years. Absolutely love it. I’m in the fourty+ age range and don’t like loud or annoying sounding things. This set up is perfect in my opinion. Plus, if you wait till Cyber Monday, they go on sale for 50% off
I'm in the same age range, and one reason I'm really tryna think this thing through. 50%!!!???
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
Venuswolfninja
Rep

It’s a very subtle set up. Aggressive, but not loud, intrusive or annoying. Zero drone. There is a bit of run off without the resonator in the section 2, but I like that. ECS and Turner do the Monday deal, at least they have for the last couple years.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #10
Venuswolfninja
Rep

Boo! I was wrong, sorry about that. Thought I had gotten a better deal than I did. Probably what I told my wife I got the parts for 😇 I did buy them for the 25% discount, just checked my order history. I’ve been waiting on the headers to go on super sale... Still totally worth it and highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #11
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
Boo! I was wrong, sorry about that. Thought I had gotten a better deal than I did. Probably what I told my wife I got the parts for I did buy them for the 25% discount, just checked my order history. I’ve been waiting on the headers to go on super sale... Still totally worth it and highly recommend.
Yeah same as Black Friday, 25%, oh well. Opted for the AFe cold air intake this go around. I def get what you mean about what the wife gets told, LOL.

I did warn her that the muffler is next, prolly this time next year.

Thanks for all the deets, very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #12
Venuswolfninja
Rep

Anytime; merry car parts day!
You’ll enjoy the AFE. Just a warning, it is a bit obnoxious puttering around at times. Sounds fantastic when you’re driving like you mean it. There’s a good amount of pick up in the midrange. If you live at altitude, you’ll really enjoy it. Couple notes on install. I had to change hardware for the mount install by the fender. The maf gasket didn’t work for mine, so I had to cut a new one. Also, installing the rubber throttle body adapter to the intake is easiest done opposite the instructions.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
You’ll enjoy the AFE. Just a warning, it is a bit obnoxious puttering around at times. Sounds fantastic when you’re driving like you mean it. There’s a good amount of pick up in the midrange. If you live at altitude, you’ll really enjoy it. Couple notes on install. I had to change hardware for the mount install by the fender. The maf gasket didn’t work for mine, so I had to cut a new one. Also, installing the rubber throttle body adapter to the intake is easiest done opposite the instructions.
Will I get to keep my silicone intake hose???
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #14
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
What did you use as the new hardware? Also, I have the silicone intake hose, will I get to keep that?
Appreciate 0