BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #23
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Blackstone rep recommended going another 1000 miles, assuming no noises, and take another oil sample. So that is the current plan. Fingers crossed...
I like that plan, I feel like if you don't have the tin component of the bearing flashing then... it could be something else.
I shouldn't speak too much, it's been a while since I've been involved w/ that stuff.

I wondered fuel as well (something with a little lead additive) but sounds like you already thought of it.

It'd be really good to look up our bearing construction of that's possible, see what layers there are and materials. Some manual out there somewhere must have it... Easier said than done of course. Use that info to know specifically what to look for.

Last edited by tracer bullet; 10-22-2020 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
AndyW650.00
      01-14-2021, 09:59 PM   #24
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Update: So, the mystery gets more muddled. Got the results of the latest 1000 mile sample. Lead down to 10 ppm. Previous 1000 mile sample was 32 ppm. Blackstone still suspects it was from race fuel I was using last summer for several track days that is just diluting down.

I also discovered that sometime in 2011, BMW shifted to Aluminum/Tin Rod bearings due to new EU environmental regulations. As my car was built in 2011, I have no way of verifying what they are made of short of pulling them out. Blackstone is aware of this change and tends to think, given the data, my bearings are actually Aluminum/Tin since lead was zero in all samples before I tried race gas. I am inclined to trust their expertise and it would save $2000+ in parts and labor doing rod bearings that I probably don't need it. But it's a big risk that could end in a blown engine the first track day of the season...sigh.

Pondering this, I think the best course of action is probably to go another 1000 miles and take another sample. If lead is still 10 ppm, that makes it pretty clear that Blackstone is right. If it goes up, then it's probably the bearings. If anyone sees holes in this logic, please let me know...

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 3
      01-16-2021, 10:41 AM   #25
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT+PS+PE / X3 M40i Stock

Quote:
Update: So, the mystery gets more muddled. Got the results of the latest 1000 mile sample. Lead down to 10 ppm. Previous 1000 mile sample was 32 ppm. Blackstone still suspects it was from race fuel I was using last summer for several track days that is just diluting down.

I also discovered that sometime in 2011, BMW shifted to Aluminum/Tin Rod bearings due to new EU environmental regulations. As my car was built in 2011, I have no way of verifying what they are made of short of pulling them out. Blackstone is aware of this change and tends to think, given the data, my bearings are actually Aluminum/Tin since lead was zero in all samples before I tried race gas. I am inclined to trust their expertise and it would save $2000+ in parts and labor doing rod bearings that I probably don't need it. But it's a big risk that could end in a blown engine the first track day of the season...sigh.

Pondering this, I think the best course of action is probably to go another 1000 miles and take another sample. If lead is still 10 ppm, that makes it pretty clear that Blackstone is right. If it goes up, then it's probably the bearings. If anyone sees holes in this logic, please let me know...
@andyw Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed and hopefully it was just the race gas skewing the analysis.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:48 AM   #26
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

So, the third sample had lead at 8 PPM. So "much ado about nothing", I suppose. Convinced I do not have a rod bearing issue and the lead was from "unleaded" race gas. On to other upgrades!

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 2
houtan701.00
      03-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #27
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
So, the third sample had lead at 8 PPM. So "much ado about nothing", I suppose. Convinced I do not have a rod bearing issue and the lead was from "unleaded" race gas. On to other upgrades!
Congrats!! Always good to get good news about these cars. Iirc it cost me around $1500 to do rod bearings and i got a deal because the mech felt bad he didnt diagnose the problem when he test drove the car earlier that week. So buy your car something nice to reward her
Appreciate 1
dtla1826.00
      10-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #28
blakteky
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Someone asked but didn't get an answer so I'm posting for those that find this thread via google. To find the "code" for the factory installed bearing sizes (red/yellow (r) and blue/violet (b)) It's printed on the front of crank; specifically the front of the 1st counter-weight lobe. You can see the code once you have the oil pan off and before you remove the oilpump. Rotate the engine while having eyes on the lobe as it passes by. Removing the oil pump would be it easier to spot, but it's possible to see it before removing the pump. It'll be something like bbbbrr. The bimmerworld bearings have this info in the description and a photo as an example.
Appreciate 2
houtan701.00