BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #23
Dick Brown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1m, Porche Boxster, Audi A8L

I at first regretted getting the 135 with the Step but after living with the car for around 5 months the Auto has grown on me. If you put it in sport mode it is very fast and the engine sounds great. I no longer miss having the stick and the car is still lots of fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #24
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post
I at first regretted getting the 135 with the Step but after living with the car for around 5 months the Auto has grown on me. If you put it in sport mode it is very fast and the engine sounds great. I no longer miss having the stick and the car is still lots of fun.
Good info. This post is one of the only ones that actually address what the OP is asking. He isn't debating the stick vs auto because of traffic, or city, or hills. (that I can deduce at least). He's asking, with all else being equal, would he regret not getting the stick because it's not available in an 08 near him.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #25
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj94 View Post
I would be open to a vert, but there aren't any manuals to be had in those either unfortunately. There are several dealers offering $10-15k off MSRP on M3 verts, and combined with the incredibly low money factors and bumped up residuals, several people have been able to get a lease with $0 down for under $700/month (one reported was $641/month including taxes on a $76k MSRP car).
I meant the lease deals on 09 verts arent that bad (70% residual for 15k miles/year). You could order one and lock in the lease rate. Granted, it won't be as good as a deal on an 08, but I think you've answered your own question when hesitating on whether or not to bite on an 08 auto. But dammmmmmmmn I would jump on one of those M3s if I could've gotten a deal like that!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

the steptronic isn't bad in these cars, I wouldn't pay extra to have it, but I would pay less and take it over the 6MT if given the opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #27
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I have a step and it is the best auto I've ever driven. It rev matches on downshift and when in sport mode is ultra responsive.

But, I would agree with the others, do not settle. If you are a manual guy, get a manual. If you are transmission agnostic then I would say you will not be disappointed with the step.

And, if it is a money thing, I can imagine that the deals aren't going to get worse with the economy the way it is. Just wait 3 or 4 more months and I'm sure the 2009's will have great deals too.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #28
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

:wink:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj94 View Post
As stated above the 2009 would cost almost $200/month more than a comparable 2008....and for that $200/month more I could get myself a loaded M3 instead.

Problem solved. Forget the 135i. Get the M3!!!! Seems like a no brainer to me.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #29
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I love my Steptronic it is so much fun and it shifts so fast. It is like playing a video game every time I get in the car I love it.
      12-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #30
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

I too am an old school manual guy, and I had the same concerns when I got my steptronic. But I was cherry-picking the lots for deals on '08s so I had to choose from what they had.

Anyway, much to my surprise I ended up in loving the steptronic. Instead of kicking myself I ended up being glad I got it.

That being said, I agree with everyone else in that if it's such a sticking point to you that you are willing to go through the time to make this post on it, you're probably better off going with the manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #31
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

When I was ordering my 135i my wife really pushed me to get a Step because she does not know how to drive a manual. I have always been a manual guy. I had a 97' Acura CL that was an auto and I swore I would never buy an auto ever again.

When I was waiting for my 1er to get here I was really starting to regret "giving in" to the wife by getting the step. All of that regret has passed and now I think I would have regret getting the manual.

The Step in this car is so responsive and shifts very fast. Much faster then I can in most cars with the exception of my S2000 but that is because the manual in the S2000 is amazing. Does not have much to do with my shifting skills:biggrin:

With all of that being said, DO NOT settle. Get what you want. I can not stress enough how important it is to test drive both the manual and the step and see what you like. I don't think that either is better then the other but you need to get what you want.

Good luck:thumbup:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #32
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-One-Da? View Post
When I was ordering my 135i my wife really pushed me to get a Step because she does not know how to drive a manual. I have always been a manual guy. I had a 97' Acura CL that was an auto and I swore I would never buy an auto ever again.

When I was waiting for my 1er to get here I was really starting to regret "giving in" to the wife by getting the step. All of that regret has passed and now I think I would have regret getting the manual.

The Step in this car is so responsive and shifts very fast. Much faster then I can in most cars with the exception of my S2000 but that is because the manual in the S2000 is amazing. Does not have much to do with my shifting skills:biggrin:

With all of that being said, DO NOT settle. Get what you want. I can not stress enough how important it is to test drive both the manual and the step and see what you like. I don't think that either is better then the other but you need to get what you want.

Good luck:thumbup:
Yo dude cool!
From the start of your post was sure you were gonna put down the step!
I, for the same reason as you got the step."The Wife!"
I too have had so many manual cars...MG,Honda's,Toyota's,Fiero's(opps sorry), etc..
I love manuals but in today's world, with all the traffic, and after driving the step, it aint so bad! Yeah, it's maybe not as "pure" as a manual but with D,SD,and Step Man. you can still have a lot of fun. Gotta admit....
actually, sorta had to sell the wife on the purchase of my 1.
Told her we should sell her MB C320(which was in the shop on a bi-weekly basis) and she can have my 325xi, but would be getting the 128i Vert. in step so she can also use the 1er.
She said OK, (not that she had that much choice.)
Now, she's afraid to drive the 1 alone.
..but the best reason Im glad got the 1 with the step...love taking the 1 to party's, I get to drink and my better half can still drive home!!
This is the best reason to get the step IMHO; if you like to party and still wanna take the 1! You get to drive one way at least.
Don't DWI, let your wife/gf drive home!!, oh yeah...and egg her on to play:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #33
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
Yo dude cool!
From the start of your post was sure you were gonna put down the step!
I, for the same reason as you got the step."The Wife!"
I too have had so many manual cars...MG,Honda's,Toyota's,Fiero's(opps sorry), etc..
I love manuals but in today's world, with all the traffic, and after driving the step, it aint so bad! Yeah, it's maybe not as "pure" as a manual but with D,SD,and Step Man. you can still have a lot of fun. Gotta admit....
Actually, sorta had to sell the wife on the purchase of my 1.
Told her we should sell her MB c320 and she can have my 325xi, but I would be getting the 128i Vert. step so she can also use the 1er.
She said OK, (not that she had that much choice.)
Now, she's afraid to drive the 1 and I dont want to leave her driving the 1 unless Im with her.
..but the best reason Im glad got the 1 with the step...love taking the 1 to party's, I get to drink and my better half can still drive home!!
This is the best reason to get the step IMHO if you like to party and still wanna take the 1!
Don't DWI, let your wife/gf drive home!!, oh yeah...and egg her on to play:headbang:

It is nice having a DD when I want to drink. I am a little hesitant to say this but there is one more great reason to have a car the wife can drive.

Sometimes I let her drive my car and I will drive hers just so I can see my 1er driving down the road. I love to see how the car looks on the road

Hi, my name is I-One-Da? and I am a ! Addict:w00t:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #34
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

You might want to consider that most of the cars - including all the M fleet - used by the Performance Center in their classes are equipped with Steptronic AT's. I watched the abuse the M 5- and 6-Series cars take in their intermediate 2-day program there, and didn't hear anyone complaining about the performance of which the cars were capable.

Two instructors then offered me a few laps in a 550i and a 135i, both with AT's, which is when I began to appreciate what the cars were really capable of. My conclusion, despite having a preference for a MT, is that an owner wouldn't be "settling" for anything less in performance with the AT - and in fact, if a driver with normal skills would probably dig deeper and find more of the car's potential with one.

BTW the lead instructor, who was the one treating me to the 135i rides, was very high on the car. Pricey, he thought...but on their track, about the equivalent of an M 5-Series.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #35
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in St. Pete View Post
You might want to consider that most of the cars - including all the M fleet - used by the Performance Center in their classes are equipped with Steptronic AT's. I watched the abuse the M 5- and 6-Series cars take in their intermediate 2-day program there, and didn't hear anyone complaining about the performance of which the cars were capable.

Two instructors then offered me a few laps in a 550i and a 135i, both with AT's, which is when I began to appreciate what the cars were really capable of. My conclusion, despite having a preference for a MT, is that an owner wouldn't be "settling" for anything less in performance with the AT - and in fact, if a driver with normal skills would probably dig deeper and find more of the car's potential with one.

BTW the lead instructor, who was the one treating me to the 135i rides, was very high on the car. Pricey, he thought...but on their track, about the equivalent of an M 5-Series.

Jack
I think the main reason for this is because many people don't know how to drive stick who go to the PC. If they were going for all out performance, they certainly would equip the cars with manual transmissions.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #36
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Hello from Belgium.
Here as well, I ordered my first Steptronic on the 135i. And that after 40 years of manual driving. The delivery is expected for end of febr. and in the meanwhile already had some thougts of regret. After reading some positive reactions here, again I look forward to it with much desire.:thumbup:

Pol.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #37
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

from owning an R32 i though there is a big difference on the DSG vs the steptronic on 135i. i was wrong.. actually i dont see any difference at all.
by the way, VW claiming DSG is the fastest transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #38
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad78 View Post
from owning an R32 i though there is a big difference on the DSG vs the steptronic on 135i. i was wrong.. actually i dont see any difference at all.
by the way, VW claiming DSG is the fastest transmission.
That's an interesting comment from someone who has driven both. With all the hype I hear about DSG I would not have thought that they would even be close.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #39
bones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 RWD

Manual vs Step

I was in your exact same position this August. I had the opportunity to jump on a great deal for a BSM/Coral/premium/sport/Step 135. The car was configured the exact same way I would have ordered it except for the transmission.

I had been driving moderate performance cars (9-2x, Focus SVT, turbo'd MX-6) w/ manual gearboxes up until that point and I was certain I wanted another until I drove the Step. The transmission really impressed me, so I decided to order the car.

Initially, I was a little depressed. I missed rowing my own gears. It it tough to get used to 2 pedals after having 3 for many years.

My initial sadness was tempered with excitement for a new car so, all in all, my new car experience was good.

All that has since faded away to pure happyness with the car. I use the D mode 5% of the time (in traffic), DS 20 % of the time (GF in car, or just chillin'), and select my own gears the remaining 75% of the time. Having the option is wonderful.

The shifts of the ZF gearbox are seamless and fast. Much better than I could do myself. Downshifting is great as the sound is fantastic, and you are able to use the engine to slow and control the car. Upshifts are lightening quick and you never have to get off the accelerator! It is like flat shifting 100% of the time!

I do miss some of the nuances involved in a true manual such as coasting to a light with the clutch in or heal-toe shifting, but not much.

My next car will likely be a ZF or SMG (or something better) equiped car. Says alot from a guy that rowed his own for a very long time....
Appreciate 0